Handgunhunt

1st caplock buck.

Posted By: minnesotahunter

1st caplock buck. - 12/12/2016 1:43 PM

Got this buck on the second to last day of ML season. Was around 10 degrees and windy. He came out right at last light. I wasn't sure if he would make it over to where I was before dark, and I was really cold after a 2 hour sit. He took his time, but finally got broadside within range just before last shooting. Shot was about 30 yards walking. 50 cal trapper pistol shooting a 45 cal XTP sabot. Got a pass through on a double lung, but no expansion or blood trail. Bullet penciled through. He only went 40 yards and I watched him pile up in the field. It was actually hard to find the bullet holes because he just didn't bleed externally.

I was super exited, because I have been wanting to get a buck with the Trapper for a while, but haven't had the shot opportunities during ML season.

Plan to do a Euro mount, and display the gun with the mount.

Thanks!

[img]http://www.handgunhunt.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=8615&ppuser=4430[/img]

Re: 1st caplock buck. - 12/12/2016 1:46 PM

I must be doing something wrong with the pic. It's in the bragging board.

Thanks
Posted By: REDHAWK1954

Re: 1st caplock buck. - 12/12/2016 1:50 PM

Posted By: REDHAWK1954

Re: 1st caplock buck. - 12/12/2016 1:51 PM

I just added your photo for you. Very nice buck with any weapon but a caplock muzzleloader makes it very special.

Re: 1st caplock buck. - 12/12/2016 2:16 PM

Thanks REDHAWK!
Posted By: Mark Hampton

Re: 1st caplock buck. - 12/12/2016 2:20 PM

Nice buck with a unique handgun -- Congrats!
Posted By: reflex264

Re: 1st caplock buck. - 12/12/2016 2:25 PM

Awesome!!!!!!!
Posted By: Zee

Re: 1st caplock buck. - 12/12/2016 2:33 PM

Outstanding!!! Freezing temps and a black powder pistol!!! You......re the man!
Posted By: Okie Hunter

Re: 1st caplock buck. - 12/12/2016 2:50 PM

Congrats. Good looking buck and gun.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: 1st caplock buck. - 12/12/2016 2:56 PM

Good on ya! With a "primitive" weapon at that.
Posted By: Boot

Re: 1st caplock buck. - 12/12/2016 2:56 PM

Nice buck! And judging by the weather and equipment used, you earned that one. Congratulations on the trophy!
Posted By: Ernie

Re: 1st caplock buck. - 12/12/2016 2:58 PM

IMmpressive!
Posted By: Boartuff

Re: 1st caplock buck. - 12/12/2016 4:38 PM

WTG!!
Posted By: KRal

Re: 1st caplock buck. - 12/12/2016 4:43 PM

Very nice, congrats! Love your smoke stick. As you've found out first hand, a XTP will not expand at those low velocity. You can use a WFN hard cast with those sabots and get better performance with the lower velocities, at least from my experience with the smoke sticks.

Re: 1st caplock buck. - 12/12/2016 8:59 PM

Yep, I need a different projectile. The xtps were just what I had for my ML rifle.

Thanks for all the great comments!!!

It was such a cool experience. The snow coming down sideways, and then the gun makes such a neat double sound. Ka....BOOM

Super fun.
Posted By: PsTaN

Re: 1st caplock buck. - 12/12/2016 10:33 PM

Dude that's awesome stuff! I'll certainly tip my hat to ya.

Grats.
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: 1st caplock buck. - 12/13/2016 2:00 AM

good going !
Posted By: bluecow

Re: 1st caplock buck. - 12/13/2016 9:37 AM

vary nice buck. have to ask why sabot instead of a conical?

Re: 1st caplock buck. - 12/13/2016 7:01 PM

I had a box of sabots that I used for my ML rifle, and they shot well out of the pistol so I thought I'd try them. Ultimately they worked great in this case, as he only went 40 yards into a field. A 45cal hole through the lungs didn't need to expand.

That being said...I will want something else for next time. I had to sift through the fur to find the entry and exit holes. No blood, which can be a major problem if they run into the thick stuff.

I think like KRal said, a wide flat front is going to be the answer. I don't think I will get anything to expand at that low of a velocity and still get a pass through.

I do like your idea of a conical if I can find one with a flat front. It will increase my hole size from 45 to 50!
Posted By: Darrell H

Re: 1st caplock buck. - 12/13/2016 9:16 PM

Congrats, that's awesome! What powder and what powder charge are you using in the short-barreled muzzleloader? I've got both 10" and 14" Contender 50 caliber muzzleloading barrels and the 14"er works great but the 10"er has proven to be more challenging to work with.

Re: 1st caplock buck. - 12/13/2016 9:17 PM

Originally Posted By: minnesotahunter
I had a box of sabots that I used for my ML rifle, and they shot well out of the pistol so I thought I'd try them. Ultimately they worked great in this case, as he only went 40 yards into a field. A 45cal hole through the lungs didn't need to expand.

That being said...I will want something else for next time. I had to sift through the fur to find the entry and exit holes. No blood, which can be a major problem if they run into the thick stuff.

I think like KRal said, a wide flat front is going to be the answer. I don't think I will get anything to expand at that low of a velocity and still get a pass through.

I do like your idea of a conical if I can find one with a flat front. It will increase my hole size from 45 to 50!

I shoot the 250 WFN from Montana Bullet Works and have had good results.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: 1st caplock buck. - 12/13/2016 10:56 PM

a fine looking buck.......

Re: 1st caplock buck. - 12/14/2016 2:20 AM

Used 50 grains of pyrodex. Very mild to shoot. I think I'll end up settling on 70 for a little more punch. 100 is way too much. I'm not recoil sensative, but it bruised my hand pretty bad. Hurt for a couple days. The wood handle is skinny.

I'll give that WFN a try.

Thanks!!

Re: 1st caplock buck. - 12/14/2016 2:42 AM

Originally Posted By: minnesotahunter
Used 50 grains of pyrodex. Very mild to shoot. I think I'll end up settling on 70 for a little more punch. 100 is way too much. I'm not recoil sensative, but it bruised my hand pretty bad. Hurt for a couple days. The wood handle is skinny.

I'll give that WFN a try.

Thanks!!

I use that bullet with a sabot and 75gr of Tripple7. It's a very accurate and mild load to shoot, but will punch through both shoulders of a deer at 83 yards.

Re: 1st caplock buck. - 12/14/2016 4:19 AM

Exellent. I'll try that combo.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums