Handgunhunt

2016 Iowa Buck

Posted By: SChunter

2016 Iowa Buck - 12/26/2016 3:43 PM

First and foremost, I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas and Santa was good to all!

Just returning and thawing out from a snowy, cold and eventful pre-Christmas trip to Iowa. After obtaining access to some ground in SW Iowa early in 2016, I put in for the late season Muzzleloader tag and was pleasantly surprised when I received notification this year that I had drawn in year 1 without any preference points. Fortunately, we handgunners can use straight-walled pistol cartridges during the gun and ML seasons, provided they are on the "list" deemed acceptable by IA DNR. It just so happened I had a "couple" of cartridges on the list, so the quest began to narrow down my selection for the hunt. My thought was to take a scoped option for longer range potential and a red dot equipped gun for low light sight acquisition.

After much mental anguish, I finally settled on 2 guns to take: my 10" barreled FA 83 in 454 Casull topped with a 2.5-8 Leupold and my 6" barreled FA M83 in 475 Linebaugh with the Trijicon RMR. Special thanks to GlennS and DarrellH for hearing out my selection process

I would be shooting the Barnes 250 gr XPB's in the Casull, and the 385 gr MIHA soft cast HP in the Linebaugh, two proven slugs. After confirming all on paper and steel from the bench and field positions in the weeks prior to the hunt, I was ready...well, except for extreme cold weather gear. You see, the other part of the planning process was watching the weather. The deer in the late season are primarily concentrated on remaining food sources, so it would be advantageous if we had weather to bed up in our timber and feed in the bean and corn stubble. And all weather intel showed a record cold front approaching just prior to our trip. But can there be too much of a good thing? Like air temps in the negatives...before wind chill. That is crazy cold for this coastal hunter!

Fly in day - -11 air temp. Ugh.
\:\(

Spoiler alert - I did not lose any digits or extremities due to frostbite. and thanks to layering, UA Hunt gear and a case of handwarmers, it was not a miserable time!

Fast forward to Day 2 of the hunt - my buddy and I had seen good movement that AM from our respective stands, and had thrown a ground blind in the truck to pop-up midday on a stubble field on the southern end of the tract. We drove to that end of the property, parked atop the terraced hillside and debated its future location from our birdseye view. Looking across the road to the East, we see orange - pheasant hunters? Maybe a man drive? Gear up, clothes back on, and take a gun? Well, of course, whenever you go to the woods, carry a gun...because, you never know
\:\)

So I threw the Bandito rig over the shoulder, and started the 1/2 mile trek to go set the blind. We bumped a good deer from the creek during our "stealthy" approach and deployment of the blind, a tall-racked 8 that we had seen from a distance on the first AM. He slipped down the creek while his harem busted out across the flat - good vibes about this spot.

We had just turned back up the terraced hillside to begin the LONG uphill walk when we see movement 750 yards up the hill. Deer silhouetted as they bound over the rise! Binocs up and we see a good deer trailing behind the bouncing lead doe, with more white flags flying behind. They were headed for the creek!

We scurried to the closest terrace and sought cover. I backed up against the grass covered rise, drew the Casull, turned it down to 4X and watched as they approached. I told him I hoped they would break stride prior to reaching the creek - he asked if I was ready and he would try to stop them with a noise...cocked, tracking, rested across the knees, laid back into to the terrace, ready. Yes.

Errrt! Errrtt! The lead doe slammed to a halt with the buck on her heels - how far? Looks to be over a hundred, hold a little higher, sight acquisition and squeeeeeeeeeeze.

BOOM! Thwack! The bucks wheels and sprints dead away. "You got a bullet in him, don't know where" The spirited escape starts to look a little unsteady, and then piles into the frozen dirt. BBD! Wait, did that just happen? That was fast...as we approach the buck, we are amazed at the body size of these midwestern deer. Wow, just wow.

Blessed with a beautiful Iowa 10 point! The Barnes had impacted the shoulder at a downward angle, taking out the aorta, front of the lungs, fragging the heart and breaking a rib on the opposite side. It did not exit the hide but stretched it from the fascia, and unfortunately was not recovered in the frozen gut pile when I field dressed the deer
\:\(

After returning to scene of the shot, I lased the distance of the shot - 140 yards, with a 70 yard sprint to the finish...All in all a fantastic trip to SW Iowa, making new friends and memories and looking forward to my next visit to the Hawkeye state!
Posted By: cmnash

Re: 2016 Iowa Buck - 12/26/2016 3:56 PM

Fantastic story, great buck, and the picture of him laying on the ground really puts his size in perspective! Good job being prepared so you could get it done on the fly .
Posted By: GlennS

Re: 2016 Iowa Buck - 12/26/2016 4:06 PM

Nice work brother. Excellent shooting as usual!
Posted By: Brenden

Re: 2016 Iowa Buck - 12/26/2016 4:14 PM

Great shot and awesome buck!
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: 2016 Iowa Buck - 12/26/2016 4:32 PM

Outstanding, Dur!
Posted By: thadf

Re: 2016 Iowa Buck - 12/26/2016 5:03 PM

Cool man, congrats
Posted By: Handgun400

Re: 2016 Iowa Buck - 12/26/2016 5:51 PM

Great buck. Cograts!
Posted By: junebug

Re: 2016 Iowa Buck - 12/26/2016 5:55 PM

Way to go and a nice write up.
Posted By: REDHAWK1954

Re: 2016 Iowa Buck - 12/26/2016 6:06 PM

Great buck and greater shot.
Posted By: Gary

Re: 2016 Iowa Buck - 12/26/2016 7:04 PM

Excellent buck and a great shot - congratulations!
Posted By: Mark Hampton

Re: 2016 Iowa Buck - 12/26/2016 7:10 PM

Nice shot! Heck of a buck! Huge Congrats! Well done
Posted By: Zee

Re: 2016 Iowa Buck - 12/26/2016 8:17 PM

Wow! AWESOME buck!
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: 2016 Iowa Buck - 12/26/2016 10:12 PM

your handgun shootin son of a gun................when you do it.... you do it good......
Posted By: KRal

Re: 2016 Iowa Buck - 12/26/2016 10:22 PM

Well done, Dur! I want to see you fast draw that 10" hogglegg. You'd prolly give Wyatt Earp a run for his money.

Congrats!
Posted By: abner

Re: 2016 Iowa Buck - 12/26/2016 10:40 PM

Wow, what a brute. Congrats!
Posted By: cherokeetracker

Re: 2016 Iowa Buck - 12/26/2016 11:13 PM

Awesome Deer and some fine shooting.
Posted By: tradmark

Re: 2016 Iowa Buck - 12/27/2016 12:55 AM

Nice big ole midwestern buck! Congrats
Posted By: Darrell H

Re: 2016 Iowa Buck - 12/27/2016 1:17 AM

Outstanding buck with the wheelgun and an awesome shot! I guess all those rendezvous at North Georgia gun ranges finally paid off! Ha!
\:D

Congrats again bud, you've made us proud...again!
Posted By: Boot

Re: 2016 Iowa Buck - 12/27/2016 1:48 AM

Wow! Holy smoke what a great buck! Congratulations on the fantastic hunt.
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: 2016 Iowa Buck - 12/27/2016 1:57 AM

He"s a great buck!
Posted By: Franchise

Re: 2016 Iowa Buck - 12/27/2016 3:18 AM

Beautiful Buck my Carolina Handgun Hunting Brother
Posted By: ruger4570

Re: 2016 Iowa Buck - 12/27/2016 3:25 AM

Very nice buck. Great job and great story and pics.
Posted By: Boartuff

Re: 2016 Iowa Buck - 12/27/2016 3:57 AM

Fantastic!
Posted By: SChunter

Re: 2016 Iowa Buck - 12/27/2016 1:40 PM

Thanks guys!!!
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: 2016 Iowa Buck - 12/27/2016 9:14 PM

What a buck! Congratulations!
Posted By: reflex264

Re: 2016 Iowa Buck - 12/27/2016 11:20 PM

Fantastic buck!