Handgunhunt

My son's first quail and intro to handgun hunting!

Posted By: Zee

My son's first quail and intro to handgun hunting! - 01/01/2017 4:56 AM

Friend called and asked if I'd like to come over and go quail hunting this afternoon. It was a nice warm "spring day" in December.......why not!?!

Arrived with my boy and my Ruger Charger Pistol to be introduced to a new form of Quail Hunting I'd never experienced..................driving the dirt roads in an ATV shooting them off the ground with a pistol! Well, being the controlled environment that it was, I asked my boy if he'd like to shoot some. He'd already had a lot of practice shooting my Charger, so he said, "Sure!"

We drove around not having much luck until later in the evening when we rode up on a deer feeder and saw a huge covey of Blue Quail run from the feeder and into the brush. We stopped the ATV and waited a few minutes. Finally, a couple quail darted out of the brush and into the open. I told him to aim for the center and he aimed in...................

At about 20 yards, he popped one and it fell over in a poof of feathers. Score!!!! His first quail and his first animal with a handgun!!!!

I can't express the pride and humbleness all mixed up in one great emotion. To be standing there next to my boy when he accomplished this first. It was too cool to put into words.

We rode around and the shooting got hot and heavy. Running birds.............distance shots (50+ yards)..............through brush...............I made some pretty good shots. None of them matter and hold a candle to my boy's first bird and handgun kill.

I owe a debt to this man I can never repay. He has afforded my boy a lifetime of experiences this year.

His first deer with a rifle.

His first quail with a handgun or anything!

And the list goes on and on. Gratitude...................my heart is full.

We ended up with a pile of quail and two rabbits. Not bad for an evening's ride.

On our way home, I asked my boy if he'd like to shoot another deer this season. "Yeah! I like shooting animals we can eat."

The words every outdoorsman and father want to hear from their son.

Yes............my heart is full.
Posted By: Boot

Re: My son's first quail and intro to handgun hunting! - 01/01/2017 12:24 PM

Zee, that is the kind of post that puts a smile on the heart. Great stuff.
Posted By: REDHAWK1954

Re: My son's first quail and intro to handgun hunting! - 01/01/2017 12:32 PM

Great post but greater friend. You are blessed.
Posted By: Ernie

Re: My son's first quail and intro to handgun hunting! - 01/01/2017 1:48 PM

This is what it is all about!
Posted By: KRal

Re: My son's first quail and intro to handgun hunting! - 01/01/2017 2:11 PM

That's awesome, Zee! He's an official handgun Hunter now. I remember my son's first handgun kill, he was 9 and it was a squirrel he took with a charger just like your sons. He hasn't picked up a rifle since.
Posted By: junebug

Re: My son's first quail and intro to handgun hunting! - 01/01/2017 3:56 PM

An afternoon spent with family and friends.And the start of what will hopefully be a lifelong passion,life is good!
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: My son's first quail and intro to handgun hunting! - 01/01/2017 9:35 PM

like father.....like son
Posted By: Walkingthemup

Re: My son's first quail and intro to handgun hunting! - 01/01/2017 11:04 PM

The world's a great place when you see a father able to share something like that with his son.

ps. Sure can see the family resemblance
Posted By: Ernie

Re: My son's first quail and intro to handgun hunting! - 01/02/2017 12:04 AM

Some families, just can't take a good picture...
;\)
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: My son's first quail and intro to handgun hunting! - 01/02/2017 3:50 PM

Congrats to the both of you! It's always a good day when you take a less experienced hunter on a successful outing.
Posted By: PsTaN

Re: My son's first quail and intro to handgun hunting! - 01/02/2017 4:06 PM

Very cool stuff.

My Dad gave me my love of handguns ... my GranDad the joy of hunting. Lil'Zee is going to remember that trip a lifetime.
Posted By: wvhitman

Re: My son's first quail and intro to handgun hunting! - 01/02/2017 9:29 PM

Nothing like being with your son to share the experience. I'll never forget my Dad right there with my first handgun squirrel at age 9. No Chargers then, just a H&R .22.
Posted By: cherokeetracker

Re: My son's first quail and intro to handgun hunting! - 01/03/2017 2:23 PM

You sir are very very fortunate to live this experience and have those opportunities. Congrats to you and your son.
Posted By: TM

Re: My son's first quail and intro to handgun hunting! - 01/03/2017 4:37 PM

Wow, I can see the family resemblence, he looks just like you.
Posted By: Zee

Re: My son's first quail and intro to handgun hunting! - 01/03/2017 4:40 PM

Originally Posted By: TM
Wow, I can see the family resemblence, he looks just like you.

Well, THAT's a relief!!!

;\)
Posted By: Boot

Re: My son's first quail and intro to handgun hunting! - 01/03/2017 6:04 PM

Indeed. The facial features are extremely similar. In a few years when the little fellow grows a mustache, we won't be able to tell them apart!
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums