Handgunhunt

Doe with the MOA Maximum!

Posted By: Zee

Doe with the MOA Maximum! - 01/16/2017 11:12 PM

I have spent the past couple weeks hunting with my MOA Maximum in .338-06 A-Square with Burris 2-7x pistol scope. Here is a quick photo montage of my various set-ups with the gun...............

Every hunt has been successful in that I saw deer every outing and enjoyed my time. But, I just wasn't willing o pull the trigger on what I saw then, so I waited.

Yesterday evening was the last day of General Hunting Season and the last day for branch antlered bucks with General Tags. There is a two week doe/spike season that will continue..........but, I figured I'd go out one last time for a buck.

I set up in the middle of the Kline Grass field and made myself a nice little "Belly Blind". Scraped out a little depression between some larger clumps of grass and got down in the prone position. Pulling a camo veil over the top of me.

I was using a new prone tripod from Huskemaw Optics.

From this position, I could view the tree line the deer usually entered the field from and, being as I was on the lip of a little "shelf" of terrain, I could see over the tall grass and pivot left or right as needed while still maintaining a low profile below the grass.

Time passed and it got later and later. But, I had only been seeing the deer right before the end of legal shooting light. So, I was pretty much able to relax until about the last 20 minutes or so. Sunset was at 6:03 and it was a beauty! Setting to my back and in the eyes of deer entering the field............as planned.

Legal shooting hours ended at 6:33 and right on cue at 6:18, a big doe and her yearling entered the field. Followed by a spike. They made their way to my right and ran further out into the field. With light and time fading away, I decided to take the big doe. So, I pivoted to my right and lined her up in the reticle. I was sighted in 3" high at 100 yards and knew that she was further than that. But, didn't anticipate her being any further than 150 and with time running out, I didn't range her with the Leica. When she stopped broadside to look back at here followers, I picked a spot low in her chest and............reaching natural respiratory pause........pressed the trigger.

The world erupted in the echo of the gun as the slight recoil obscured my sight of her. Regaining my sight picture, I see a cloud of dust billowing from the ground and a spike and yearling staring off into space where their matriarch once stood. The 200gr Winchester Ballistic Silvertip had put her in the dirt without a twitch. That'll work!!

I sat up from my hide and ranged her to see the distance. Which turned out to be 120 yards.

Gathered my camera and gun, and walked over to her for pics in the glow of the setting sun.

After a few minutes taking pics, I look to my right and back towards my blind. filling the field were about 10-15 deer. I laid down and looked through my scope. Doe, doe, doe..........spike..........tall six that I'd seen before........and a nice wide 10 pointer! But all his tines were either broken off short or they were just short in general. Nothing I wanted to shoot on this property. So, I stood up and headed back to the blind to retrieve my gear and head to the truck. And the field emptied once more and legal light vanished.

Not a bad end to General Season.
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: Doe with the MOA Maximum! - 01/17/2017 12:06 AM

Good shooting Zee, nice looking gun.
Posted By: Franchise

Re: Doe with the MOA Maximum! - 01/17/2017 12:32 AM

Cool Gun! Awesome Caliber 👍
Posted By: KRal

Re: Doe with the MOA Maximum! - 01/17/2017 12:40 AM

Well done. I still haven't scratched my MOA itch yet.
Posted By: Brenden

Re: Doe with the MOA Maximum! - 01/17/2017 12:50 AM

Hard to beat a 338-06. Good going!

Re: Doe with the MOA Maximum! - 01/17/2017 12:57 AM

Science!

Entry

The bullet passed through the scapula on entry.

And broke a rib.

The bullet passed through the top of both lungs and severed the aortic arch.

Entry Side

Top View showing damage to the esophagus, lungs, and aortic arch.

Exit

The bullet passed close enough or through the very bottom of the spinal column. Not severing the spinal cord, but damaging the vertebrae and causing enough shock to the system to temporarily paralyze the doe and drop her to the ground.

During the temporary paralysis, she succumbed to the damage to her thoracic organs and died quickly from blood loss and/or suffocation........or both.

The bullet broke 2 ribs on exit.

And left a large exit wound on the off side.

A very effective cartridge/bullet/platform combination for medium game I would say.
Posted By: Franchise

Re: Doe with the MOA Maximum! - 01/17/2017 1:47 AM

Speed kills and power punishes! This gun and round has both.
Posted By: Dekker

Re: Doe with the MOA Maximum! - 01/17/2017 1:56 AM

Congrats! one a successful hunt. Enjoyed the write up and pics.

Re: Doe with the MOA Maximum! - 01/17/2017 2:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Franchise
Speed kills and power punishes! This gun and round has both.

This is my first game animal with this barrel. I actually built it with ELK in mind and have a 225gr Speer DC load made up for if I ever decide to use it for what I actually built it for.

Doubtful to ever happen. I've shot a few elk now and gotten it out of my system. But, I really like this gun/cartridge combo now.
Posted By: Handgun400

Re: Doe with the MOA Maximum! - 01/17/2017 2:53 AM

That's a great story and love the autopsy. There's just something special about taking an animal with your pet caliber/load.

Good job.
Posted By: Ernie

Re: Doe with the MOA Maximum! - 01/17/2017 3:24 AM

Another great adventure, plus good eats-Well done.

Re: Doe with the MOA Maximum! - 01/17/2017 10:36 AM

Thanks guys.
Posted By: REDHAWK1954

Re: Doe with the MOA Maximum! - 01/17/2017 11:35 AM

Great post! Your write-ups are always so well done and your photos are even better.
Posted By: SChunter

Re: Doe with the MOA Maximum! - 01/17/2017 3:03 PM

Nice work Zee!

I haven't used the 200 Silvertip in the 338 single shots.

Settled on the 185 Barnes TSX out of my 338/284 - I figured it was a good mix of bullet integrity for the bigger game if necessary and speed out of the short barrel.

Re: Doe with the MOA Maximum! - 01/18/2017 1:35 AM

I used the 200gr BST because a friend gave me 300 of them he wasn't going to use. Who was I to deny him the free space in his Man Cave?!?

When these run out, I have some Factory Second Hornady 200gr SST that I will try.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Doe with the MOA Maximum! - 01/18/2017 12:58 PM

Nice thorough report! Thanks for sharing it!
Posted By: PsTaN

Re: Doe with the MOA Maximum! - 01/18/2017 11:20 PM

Very cool ... and nice iron there.
Posted By: tradmark

Re: Doe with the MOA Maximum! - 01/20/2017 3:17 AM

Great autopsy as usual!!
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Doe with the MOA Maximum! - 01/21/2017 9:28 PM

you are a regular sniper Zee if I ever saw one........
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums