Handgunhunt

hunting holster for 14 inch scoped contender pisto

Posted By: REDHAWK1954

hunting holster for 14 inch scoped contender pisto - 01/23/2017 6:02 PM

What holster do you use to carry your 14 inch scoped contender when hunting. I am trying to decide on a holster for my 14 inch scoped 30 30 contender for hunting.
Posted By: Boartuff

Re: hunting holster for 14 inch scoped contender pisto - 01/23/2017 6:40 PM

I use a sling but have considered one of these holsters.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: hunting holster for 14 inch scoped contender pisto - 01/23/2017 6:43 PM

Pistol Packaging makes a nice rig:

http://www.pistolpackaging.com/category_s/38.htm
Posted By: AK hgunner1

Re: hunting holster for 14 inch scoped contender pisto - 01/23/2017 7:41 PM

Same as Boartuff.
Posted By: Handgun400

Re: hunting holster for 14 inch scoped contender pisto - 01/23/2017 7:42 PM

I needed a holster for a SRH with a FF3 on top. Junebug encouraged me to make my own and I did. Exactly like I wanted it. All you need is Tandy leather, YouTube and a little want-to.
Posted By: KRal

Re: hunting holster for 14 inch scoped contender pisto - 01/23/2017 7:50 PM

Originally Posted By: s4s4u
Pistol Packaging makes a nice rig:

http://www.pistolpackaging.com/category_s/38.htm

I use a pistol packaging bandito as well.
Posted By: briarhopper

Re: hunting holster for 14 inch scoped contender pisto - 01/23/2017 8:35 PM

I need a holster for my 10" BFR 45-70. I can't find what I want (probably because I don't know exactly WHAT I want) so I've decided to make my own.
Posted By: junebug

Re: hunting holster for 14 inch scoped contender pisto - 01/23/2017 9:04 PM

Briarhopper
How well would seal skin work?

Re: hunting holster for 14 inch scoped contender pisto - 01/23/2017 9:21 PM

Not very, it's too soft and flexible. Though it would make a unique layer over the original cowhide!

Re: hunting holster for 14 inch scoped contender pisto - 01/23/2017 9:28 PM

I think I am going to actually make an old-fashioned Mexican loop holster for the hip, but of course using 3-times the leather!

Why? Because I don't know anyone else carrying a 10" BFR 45-70 quite like that, and I seem to usually end up doing what only the craziest voices in my head tell me to do, just because I can.
\:\)

I'll just have to wrap an extra layer around my right knee, so that the front sight don't do too much damage.
\:\)
Posted By: PsTaN

Re: hunting holster for 14 inch scoped contender pisto - 01/23/2017 10:58 PM

Blackhawk Bandolier.

I use this with my Super Blackhawk Hunter and find it very well made. The flap is adjustable and can be totally removed to just use a simple retention strap. I'd definitely buy another.
Posted By: AK hgunner1

Re: hunting holster for 14 inch scoped contender pisto - 01/23/2017 11:18 PM

I have that exact one. If anyone purchases on like it I suggest you find a way to pad that strap if you are not wearing a coat. It will dig into your neck after awhile. I took one of the pads off one of my go bags (duty) and added it to the strap.
made a world of difference.
Posted By: High Tide

Re: hunting holster for 14 inch scoped contender pisto - 01/23/2017 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By: REDHAWK1954
What holster do you use to carry your 14 inch scoped contender when hunting. I am trying to decide on a holster for my 14 inch scoped 30 30 contender for hunting.

Uncle Mike's bandolier works well for my TCs up to 18.5" barrels.
Posted By: Dekker

Re: hunting holster for 14 inch scoped contender pisto - 01/24/2017 12:26 AM

I use a Stratton Sling on my 14" Contenders and Encores.
Posted By: billa

Re: hunting holster for 14 inch scoped contender pisto - 01/24/2017 1:00 AM

I carry my large TCs on a sling but I use a Bianchi Hush bandolier holster for scoped revolvers.

Re: hunting holster for 14 inch scoped contender pisto - 01/24/2017 1:29 AM

Briarhopper
I would suggest a crossdraw holster for that 10 barrel or you will find yourself drawing it hand over hand.Not the fastest draw when a grizzly is bearing down on you.

Re: hunting holster for 14 inch scoped contender pisto - 01/24/2017 1:36 AM

I strap an uncle Mikes #13 to the side of my pack for the walk in and out of stands. Its big enough to carry my Striker or Contenders ,and keeps my hands free for other things. If I need a gun fast the .45 rides crossdraw. My 14 in. Contenders have adjustable slings too.
Posted By: abner

Re: hunting holster for 14 inch scoped contender pisto - 01/24/2017 4:06 AM

I use the same ones as boartuff. I have one for my 10" barrels and another for 14"ers.
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: hunting holster for 14 inch scoped contender pisto - 01/24/2017 11:19 AM

Uncle Mikes Bandolier holster.
Posted By: Ramjet-SS

Re: hunting holster for 14 inch scoped contender pisto - 01/24/2017 10:20 PM

I am not interested in any of the uncle mikes synthetic holsters they are really loud.

Pistol Packaging is a excellent holster that is secure, comfortable, quiet and flexible in that you need only change the holster not bandolier for different guns and they are affordable. I use them for everything from my BFR 10" to my 15" Contenders and XP-100 for those tuns much shorter Simply Rugged makes the best rig one can purchase. I also have several chest holsters from DD double diamond holsters.
Posted By: ruger4570

Re: hunting holster for 14 inch scoped contender pisto - 01/26/2017 4:26 AM

With the Pistolpackaging rig is there a seperate slot for a waist belt, or well a belt fit when used with the shoulder strap?
Posted By: rougerocco

Re: hunting holster for 14 inch scoped contender pisto - 01/26/2017 2:29 PM

I have a Pistol Packaging Bandito Rig for scoped pistol, I love it and it can wore either way. Waist belt or Bandito belt. I hunt in Michigan in the crappy weather so I also cut a piece of soft pliable leather and have it draped over the top of the holster to help keep the scope clean.

Re: hunting holster for 14 inch scoped contender pisto - 01/26/2017 3:12 PM

Originally Posted By: ruger4570
With the Pistolpackaging rig is there a seperate slot for a waist belt, or well a belt fit when used with the shoulder strap?

If you mean to use a belt along with the shoulder strap to hold the rig tight to your side, there is no such accommodation. You can wear the holster on your belt rather than the shoulder strap, tho.
Posted By: KRal

Re: hunting holster for 14 inch scoped contender pisto - 01/26/2017 6:37 PM

Originally Posted By: s4s4u

If you mean to use a belt along with the shoulder strap to hold the rig tight to your side, there is no such accommodation. You can wear the holster on your belt rather than the shoulder strap, tho.

But, it does have hole for a leather string so you can tie it down if so desired.
Posted By: ruger4570

Re: hunting holster for 14 inch scoped contender pisto - 01/27/2017 3:37 AM

s4s4u & KRal; Thanks for the info, that tells me what I needed to know.

Re: hunting holster for 14 inch scoped contender pisto - 01/27/2017 4:13 AM

s4s4u & KRal; Thanks for the info, that tells me what I needed to know.

I found Pistol Packaging a pleasure to deal with however and if you wanted a belt loop added to a holster it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Posted By: magman

Re: hunting holster for 14 inch scoped contender pisto - 01/27/2017 8:29 AM

I've had problems with Bandito flexing and making a lot of noise when carrying a T/C in it. I even got a replacement from Pistol Packaging. I like them a lot for my scoped revolvers, semi-autos, etc. Just not happy with them for carrying the T/C platform.

I had Quiethide build me one before his passing, that I use exclusively for carrying T/Cs. YMMV.
Posted By: Ramjet-SS

Re: hunting holster for 14 inch scoped contender pisto - 01/29/2017 3:22 AM

I have several,of the Pistol Packaging holsters they all have two holes at the bottom so I would assume one could put a rawhide through for a tie down.
Posted By: Bill from Oregon

Re: hunting holster for 14 inch scoped contender pisto - 02/01/2017 8:40 PM

Loving that Bandito rig. Glad I saw this thread, and thanks to all who posted.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums