Handgunhunt

To muzzle brake or not to muzzle brake...

Posted By: AlanF

To muzzle brake or not to muzzle brake... - 11/12/2005 5:03 AM

What do you think, should I have a muzzle brake put on a EA Brown BF pistol in 6.5 BRM I will be ordering soon? The pistol will be used primarily for hunting. My handgun hunting experience is limited to an Anschutz Exemplar in 22 Hornet, Ruger 22 auto, and several years back, a Dan Wesson 10" 44mag. It seems the 6.5 BRM is balistically equal to the 6.5 JDJ. Do you guys use a break on the 6.5 JDJ? Thanks for the advice. AlanF
Posted By: DwarvenChef

Re: To muzzle brake or not to muzzle brake... - 11/12/2005 5:28 AM

For hunting I have heard many say not to break, saying noise is more noticable. I like breaks as it keeps the muzzle down. I'm building a long range piece for my contender (6.5x50R IMP) and will have it breaked, to keep the muzzle down.
Posted By: deadeye

Re: To muzzle brake or not to muzzle brake... - 11/12/2005 10:03 AM

the 6.5 does not kick that hard i would not put a brake on it because of the noise incress.if you spend the money on quality electroic hear protectors then it does not matter .
Posted By: ClayFHT

Re: To muzzle brake or not to muzzle brake... - 11/12/2005 3:44 PM

If the 6.5 BRM is equal to the 6.5 JDJ, then personaly I would not go with the brake. I have a 6.5 JDJ and shooting a 120-grain bullet a 2400 FPS recoil is not bad at all and muzzle lift is very little. This is from a contender with a 14" bbl. with a 2.5x8 scope.
Posted By: magman

Re: To muzzle brake or not to muzzle brake... - 11/12/2005 3:50 PM

The 6.5 JDJ is not a hard kicker, so I am assumed the 6.5brm will not be either since it is based on the 30-30 case. However, I have seen guys put a brake on alot of different caliber, so if you want to brake it go ahead. Just get yourself some hearing protection that you can wear afield.
Posted By: Vance in AK.

Re: To muzzle brake or not to muzzle brake... - 11/12/2005 5:15 PM

Since you say it's primarily a hunting gun, I'd skip the brake. If it were primarily a bench gun I might change my mind, but in the field with that caliber I think the negatives out weigh the positives. My 30-30 AI was pleasent to shoot with no brake in a 14" Contender.
Now my .444 Marlin Contender is a whole different critter!
Posted By: Ernie

Re: To muzzle brake or not to muzzle brake... - 11/13/2005 4:37 AM

One reason you MAY decide to brake it is if you want to hunt with a rifle scope.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums