Handgunhunt

Flying with a gun as checked baggage

Posted By: TXBRASS

Flying with a gun as checked baggage - 03/30/2017 9:54 PM

Going back to Oregon in August for a second round of bear hunting. Last time I shipped my Specialty Pistol and hated that, not to mention it cost me over $150 each way. Was considering checking it as baggage at the airport and just wanted feedback from others who have done this. Pro's/Con's, recommendations, tips, or warnings would be appreciated.
I read the rules on how to do it, any would like your personal experiences of how it went...
Thanks!!!
Posted By: mart

Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage - 03/30/2017 10:04 PM

I've flown several times, even to Syracuse, NY from Alaska with firearms. It has never been a problem.
Posted By: KRal

Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage - 03/30/2017 10:22 PM

I haven't had any problems, but make sure you have a very good case that's heavily padded or you may regret it.
Posted By: FA834ME

Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage - 03/30/2017 11:01 PM

Make sure you have a lock for your case or integral locking system on the case and you should be good to go. A call to the airlines ahead of time to check procedure may save some headaches.
Posted By: wvhitman

Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage - 03/30/2017 11:27 PM

Usually not a problem. Last year on United agents were going to refuse my handgun (in a locked case) , then not allow me to have the ammo in it. I pulled out a copy of United's rules (THAT I ALWAYS PRINT OUT FOR EACH AIRLINES) and everybody got real friendly. OK to carry ammo in same case as gun in US flights, but not overseas.
Posted By: AK hgunner1

Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage - 03/30/2017 11:43 PM

Fly AK Airlines in and out of state. Locked case with two locks. Never had a problem( probably because I am law enforcement.LOL).
They ask me if I am carrying on my person or not. Nope...... Fill out the little slip and put one in the check in baggage where the gun is and keep one. No worries..
Ammo in the original packaging can also go in the luggage with the handgun.

Long guns just lock them up in the gun case and check in as checked baggage. That is after you go through TSA's stupid check...
Make sure all the guns are unloaded of course.

Unless I am flying out of Newark NJ..... Then they want to try to give me the run around even with law enforcement credentials.
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage - 03/30/2017 11:57 PM

Any time I travel by plane, I ship my guns to myself at the residence I'll be staying at. Insured, and FEDEX or UPS only. Never had an issue, and isn't all that expensive. Never done it as checked baggage, but I don't trust airlines. Flew with my falconry birds a couple times, and it was a horrible experience. Can't trust them with a bird of prey, so why would I trust them with my guns. No way in Hades I'll ever ship a gun on an airline.
Posted By: briarhopper

Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage - 03/31/2017 3:01 AM

I've flown with guns many, many times. Have them unloaded in a locked, airline-approved case. If it is a small pistol case, have that case in the top of your actual luggage, ie. duffle bag etc.

Check your bags at the counter, and tell the nice agent that there is a firearm in the bag. They will check you on in, then send you with that one duffel and pistol case to TSA. TSA will take it, check it, and handle it from there. When TSA is done with you, go on about your business, you're done. You'll collect it in the duffel on the other end of your flight from the baggage carousel like any other bag. Easy Cheasy

Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage - 03/31/2017 3:33 AM

Unless of course they,TSA, forget to re secure your baggage and your Glock ends up coming out first and then your bag onto the carousel. Fellow officer had that happen one time....
Posted By: Ernie

Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage - 03/31/2017 10:00 AM

I fly with my weapons...Pelican and good locks
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage - 03/31/2017 1:16 PM

I've been using Negrini cases exclusively over the last few years and they are light, thin, and really strong.

TSA will typically lock it in front of you for the last time before it is cleared.

This is the rig I used when I went to Argentina a few years ago.

Posted By: thadf

Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage - 03/31/2017 6:04 PM

This is good to know info. Thanks for posting this stuff.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage - 03/31/2017 7:53 PM

never had a problem flying out of Newark, NJ in all my years of hunting with a handgun......

Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage - 03/31/2017 9:23 PM

Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
never had a problem flying out of Newark, NJ in all my years of hunting with a handgun......

Hi James...
Must have been the Alaska drivers license and my badge....
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage - 03/31/2017 10:02 PM

Charlie, you are one in a million......
;\)
Posted By: 98Redline

Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage - 04/11/2017 10:07 PM

Where are you guys flying out of where the TSA has your firearm and unlocked bag/case?

Per the TSA web page the firearm owner/passenger should be the only person to ever have control of the keys and access to the interior of the bag.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

Years ago, they used to take the keys from you and "inspect" the firearm case, however that should not be the case now. The owner/passenger should unlock and add the "Unloaded" tag to the bag, lock the bag, and the ticket agent should take the bag down to the TSA for them to X-Ray. Neither TSA or the airline is legally allowed to open the case or have possession of your keys.
Posted By: Gary

Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage - 04/17/2017 2:02 PM

I haven't had any troubles flying with guns since 911. Main difference was that everyone got training at the ticket counter. I usually fly 3-4 times per year with a gun or guns and I always put the ammo in the same case as the gun. The only place that is a pain in the arse is Denver airport and that's only because TSA is full of it... If you ever have trouble with a ticket agent just ask to speak with a supervisor.
Posted By: Spencer

Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage - 04/17/2017 5:46 PM

I've flown out of Syracuse to Arizona, Nevada and Wyoming with mine. No issue at all. TSA had ME unlock the case to show it was unloaded with the slip in in then I locked it back up. They put it in my bag and locked up my bag. The handgun case must travel in a locked suitcase. I do not think a duffel bag is allowed.
Posted By: Gary

Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage - 04/20/2017 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Spencer
I've flown out of Syracuse to Arizona, Nevada and Wyoming with mine. No issue at all. TSA had ME unlock the case to show it was unloaded with the slip in in then I locked it back up. They put it in my bag and locked up my bag. The handgun case must travel in a locked suitcase. I do not think a duffel bag is allowed.
I never lock the suit case only the case the guns are in and they have never said a word about it.
Posted By: KRal

Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage - 04/21/2017 1:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Gary
 Originally Posted By: Spencer
I never lock the suit case only the case the guns are in and they have never said a word about it.

I've always put my case in a suitcase or duffle bag just so it's not obvious what it is, but I'm purdy sure it's not a requirement. It'd be hard to get a rifle case inside a suitcase or duffle bag.
;\)
Posted By: Duke3026

Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage - 04/27/2017 6:00 PM

Aside from TSA list of rules. Follow your airline rules, as long as. The airlines don't break local laws.NYC requires ammo be locked in a separate container from the firearm. Otherwise, they consider your firearm(s) loaded. Handguns for the last flight I took. Had to be in a locked hard case, inside luggage. With a separate non TSA lock. I've flown in, and out, of both major airports in NYC. JFK has been ok, and LaGuardia a real pain. NYC has there own set of rules, and plenty of incompetent law enforcement to prove all agencies $uck. If you find yourself at a NYC airport due to a layover, or a missed connection. In fact! NY or NJ airport, don't take possession of your luggage with firearms. Unless your law enforcement. You won't like the outcome. BTW! Officer Jackie Chan tried real hard to make my day bad. No O.T. for him that day,or extra day off.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums