Handgunhunt

Handgun Sling

Posted By: bullsi1911

Handgun Sling - 06/28/2017 1:17 AM

Does anyone use a single point sling for a hunting revolver? Been considering that for the walks into and out of the hunting area. I have a holster for the scoped 9" SRH, but that makes it such a huge all around package that I'd almost just rather carry a slung rifle at that point.

Anyone carry like that? Decent idea or not? Suggestions on how to hook one on the Super Redhawk?
Posted By: SnookNTarpon

Re: Handgun Sling - 06/28/2017 8:02 PM

Also interested in hearing about this. I wonder if teh carry would not be a lot better than the oversized multi strap chast holster i carry my 44 mag in these days...
Posted By: Gary

Re: Handgun Sling - 06/28/2017 8:14 PM

I wouldn't go single point but it works pretty well with a setup like mag-na-port does on their Stalker conversion with a sling stud in the bottom of the grip frame and another out past the end of the ejector rod (housing).
Posted By: ruger4570

Re: Handgun Sling - 06/28/2017 9:49 PM

Hogue makes a lanyard screw to replace the grip screw on SRH grips. While the connection on a 1-point sling probably won't fit you could use a key ring etc. I have a small stainless shackle that I have used. I have this lanyard screw on my SRH and my GP100.
Posted By: bullsi1911

Re: Handgun Sling - 06/28/2017 10:01 PM

Originally Posted By: ruger4570
Hogue makes a lanyard screw to replace the grip screw on SRH grips. While the connection on a 1-point sling probably won't fit you could use a key ring etc. I have a small stainless shackle that I have used. I have this lanyard screw on my SRH and my GP100.

I'd have to replace the factory grip (rubber with side panels) with a hogue mono-grip for that, right?

Re: Handgun Sling - 06/29/2017 2:48 PM

Nope, just replace the screw on the bottom. Hogue sells the replacement screw with the lanyard head. There are a couple lengths, but I don't remember which one to use. A quick call to Hogue and you can find out and order. Remember, with the Hogue grips you don't need to crank down when tightening the screw, just snug.
Posted By: billa

Re: Handgun Sling - 06/29/2017 2:52 PM

Last season I carried my scoped S&W 460XVR on a single point sling attached at the grip butt. It worked pretty well for carry but it does not assist your hold like a 2 point sling does. I carried it about 9 total days on various hunts with no issues. Long term I will probably mount a stud on the barrel lug for a 2 point mount. I would favor the single point over a holster for a big scoped gun, especially if you hunt above the ground as it will secure your gun from a possible drop.

Re: Handgun Sling - 06/30/2017 12:15 PM

I'd have to replace the factory grip (rubber with side panels) with a hogue mono-grip for that, right? [/quote]

Oops, had a brain fart there, yes you would need to replace with Hogue grips. I'm so used to Ruger's coming standard with Hogue's already on them.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Handgun Sling - 06/30/2017 1:56 PM

I tried a single point sling on a handgun and it didn't work all that well. The gun eratically swung around too much. Went to a 2 point and was much more in control.

Re: Handgun Sling - 07/01/2017 4:22 PM

You do need the Hogue grip for the butt mount. Or you need to drill / tap the frame for a stud and modify the grips to fit around it. I have carried single shots with a 2 point sling for a long time and I like that much better. My joke this past season to my hunting buddies is that I have $1500 hanging on a $2, 10-32 machine screw. Sounds crazy.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Handgun Sling - 07/08/2017 3:01 AM

Wait, so I can get a Hogue grip for my X-Frame and it'll take a swivel stud? I've been trying to find a way to put a sling on mine since it didn't come with the mounts/studs.

Re: Handgun Sling - 07/08/2017 3:28 AM

You can replace the lug screw and the nut with a standard threaded swivel stud. I think it's a 10-32 thread. I had to trim the 1/2" long stud to match the grip screw length. I believe the Hogue grip screw is a 10-24. I used a standard hex nut and filed the 2 sides to the same width as the factory nut inside the grip bracket.

Re: Handgun Sling - 01/04/2018 1:09 AM

I have recently come up with a no gunsmith mount to allow for a solid 2 point mounting system for large scoped handguns. I have started a new post with the details.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums