Handgunhunt

Buck with the Flat Top

Posted By: sixshot

Buck with the Flat Top - 10/11/2017 8:10 PM

Yesterday was the opener for our Idaho deer season & good friend Tank Hoover joined me for a handgun hunt in endless thousands of acres of prime hunting country in south east Idaho. Tank arrived a few days early so we could practice eating burrito's, fresh french fries, cinnamon rolls, huckleberry & strawberry cheesecake, homemade biscuits & gravy, fried chicken, fresh mashed potatoes, fried potatoes & great chicken fried steak!
Finally Tuesday arrived (opening day) and we headed out before daylight & 3 minutes into the hunt we spotted several deer with a nice buck in the bunch but the doe's spooked before we could get a shot so we kept going to another spot I had picked out for Jeff & we ended up seeing quite a few deer & a few more bucks but didn't get a shot because of being limited on distance with my old model flat top 44 magnum & Tank packing a Bisley 454 with heavy 45's snuggled inside.
We came back to town for lunch & went to work on El Toro's Burrito's again (wow) came home for a nap & headed back out for an evening hunt about 5pm. Tank went back to the same spot where he had seen several deer earlier & I decided to go to another spot but ended up with too much sun in my eyes so about 5:30 I decided to move across the grain field about 200 yds & get into the Quakies a little bit. It was the right decision because about 20 minutes later a deer came out of the trees about 250 yds from me & started feeding. At first I thought it was a doe because it blended in with the trees but as it fed towards me I could see it was a fork horn buck.
I had my 357 Maximum set up on the rear of my 4 wheeler in case I needed to take a long shot & needed to use a scope but as the buck got closer it looked like I would be able to use the iron sighted flat top. I eased the 44 out of my Barranti cross draw & slowly raised it up onto my leather covered rest. As the buck got closer he started to get a little bit goosy & I could tell he knew something wasn't right.
He was too close to range & was starting to move slightly to my right but still almost straight on. If he moved anymore to my right I was going to be in trouble because it would be hard to move the gun without him seeing me move. I guessed the range at 50 yds & made a little grunt to stop him. He faced me straight on but his body was just a bit to the right as I broke the shot. The 245 gr cast HP broke the right front shoulder & he whirled & ran about 30-35 yds & went down. I ranged to where he had been standing & it turned out to be 64 yds. The bullet had broken the right front shoulder & took out the right lung. I haven't skinned him yet to see what other damage was done but I'm very happy with the gun, the bullet & the results.

Dick
Posted By: REDHAWK1954

Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/11/2017 8:33 PM

Nice buck and it sounds like a lot of fun.
Posted By: Handgun400

Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/11/2017 8:44 PM

Very cool! Can't wait to get one with my SRH. Our doe season opens Saturday...
Posted By: Ernie

Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/11/2017 8:55 PM

Excellent work!
I almost stopped reading, after thinking about the feast you guys were participating in...
Posted By: Gary

Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/11/2017 9:00 PM

Good deal! You've got some fine eating there too.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/11/2017 9:30 PM

Good on ya, Dick! Who needs a magnum eh.
Posted By: KRal

Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/11/2017 10:27 PM

Way to go, Dick! It's not neighborly to kill a deer before your guest... lol
Now we know why your were so generous with the wonderful meal. 😜
Posted By: Franchise

Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/11/2017 11:13 PM

This is great!!! Congratulations
Posted By: Mark Hampton

Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/11/2017 11:25 PM

Well done Dick! Keep up the good work............
Posted By: BRASF0311

Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/11/2017 11:39 PM

Very nice Sir, I always view meat as the trophy and the antlers are just for the memories.
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/11/2017 11:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Franchise
This is great!!! Congratulations
x2
Posted By: Newt

Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/12/2017 12:39 AM

Congratulations sir. Nice shot. Good story
Posted By: Randy M

Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/12/2017 12:42 AM

Very nice. Congrats.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/12/2017 3:05 AM

Good job! That's some beautiful scenery.
Posted By: sixshot

Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/12/2017 4:06 AM

Yesterday morning I passed on a nice 4X4 buck because I wanted Tank to shoot it but he was behind me & the doe's spooked before he could get a shot off. I could have shot it but you are correct, you don't shoot one when you have a good friend with you.
This morning I ran a buck towards Tank but it was running so hard he couldn't get on it quick enough before it hit the brush, he'll get one, he's a very fine shot.
My buck looked like he had broken part of a horn off when it was in velvet, not sure. I was lucky to get him, he was about to come unglued just before I stopped him with the grunt.
If you look close maybe you can see Tank at the bottom of the field about 50 yds left of that Quakie patch, I ran the buck out of the brush by throwing a whole bunch of rocks in there.

Dick
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/12/2017 5:53 AM

WAY TO GO IN IDAHO...............................
\:\)
Posted By: pab1

Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/12/2017 8:04 AM

Great shooting and congrats! Enjoyed the hunt report!
Posted By: mart

Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/12/2017 3:24 PM

Great story. I love to read your hunting tales. Thanks for sharing and congratulations.
Posted By: nytracker

Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/12/2017 8:33 PM

Meat and taters... way to get it done. Congrats!
Posted By: 358TC

Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/12/2017 11:27 PM

Congratulations,I enjoyed your story !
Posted By: MrMcPorkchop

Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/13/2017 5:01 AM

Congratulations! Headed out that way myself here in 3 weeks or so, looking to fill my 2 whitetail tags with my 45LC Blackhawk. Enjoyed your story!

Eric.
Posted By: reflex264

Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/13/2017 2:06 PM

Awesome story and shot. Thinking of taking my flat top opening morning. Now about those burritos......
Posted By: cfish2

Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/15/2017 3:17 PM

Way to go. Now you can make venison burritos to take with you next hunt.
Posted By: Zee

Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/15/2017 5:11 PM

That is awesome!

I have a short barreled SA revolver in .45 Colt I'd love to use on a deer some day.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums