Handgunhunt

The "50 cent squirrel call" works

Posted By: Chance Weldon

The "50 cent squirrel call" works - 10/17/2017 12:48 AM

While researching some squirrel hunting tips online, I discovered a type of squirrel call you can use called the "50 cent squirrel call". The reason for this name is that the call consists of two quarters. The way you use the call is you rapidly scratch the edges of the quarters together to create a sound that resembles squirrels cutting hard shelled nuts or acorns. It seemed so simple that it just couldn't work, I thought. . .

Saturday morning I took my sister's boyfriend squirrel hunting. He hadn't managed to get out this season and was eager to get back into the woods. Together, we set out towards a patch of woods with two mature oaks straddling a fence row. We took up position and waited. I didn't start calling immediately, but when I did, I was caught off guard. Although we didn't manage to get a shot on all of them (mostly because one or both of us moved at the wrong time and got busted), we had at least seven or eight squirrels headed directly towards us throughout the morning. The two he shot were less than 10 yards away and closing. It was a night and day difference after I started calling compared to before.

If you're into squirrel hunting, try the 50 cent squirrel call the next time you go out.
Posted By: nytracker

Re: The "50 cent squirrel call" works - 10/17/2017 1:35 PM

Been doing that since I was a kid . My gramps showed me that back in the 70s.
Posted By: adktripper

Re: The "50 cent squirrel call" works - 10/19/2017 1:25 AM

a screw with fine threads and a pen or other striker works also.
Posted By: dhom

Re: The "50 cent squirrel call" works - 10/19/2017 9:54 AM

If you cup a quarter in the middle of your hand and tap it with the edge of another quarter it sounds like a squirrel barking.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums