Handgunhunt

Wolff Springs and 44SRH

Posted By: SD00747

Wolff Springs and 44SRH - 10/31/2017 4:50 PM

Hello all:
I rough zeroed the scope on the SRH yesterday (3 inch group at 25 yds no problem, going to 50 yd zero) and the trigger is too heavy for my liking: in SA I might say lousy.
Research led me to Wolff Springs. The trigger spring seems doable, and easy to accomplish. But the hammer spring raised a discussion of timing, need to retime, gunsmithing, etc. And all kinds of things I want to avoid.
So. Is changing trigger spring only a good deal? Does changing hammer spring create big problems? What weight for each do you suggest? Does this apply for my GP100 that I also want to do?
Anything else I'm not taking into consideration?
Appreciate the great expertise here. Thanks.
Posted By: Duke3026

Re: Wolff Springs and 44SRH - 10/31/2017 5:22 PM

I've changed everyone of my Ruger single actions,withWolff springs. It's very simple job to do. Never had any issues, with timing. Your GP is a different beast, and I let smiths do double action work.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Wolff Springs and 44SRH - 10/31/2017 6:12 PM

Changing hammer springs doesn't affect timing whatsoever. I have reduced the power of the hammer springs on my SRH and GP100 with excellent results. I left the trigger spring as. I like a quick, solid reset and the hammer spring does a lot more for trigger pull weight.
Posted By: Craig44

Re: Wolff Springs and 44SRH - 10/31/2017 6:22 PM

As above, changing springs does not affect timing. As long as it lights your primers, you're good.
Posted By: SD00747

Re: Wolff Springs and 44SRH - 10/31/2017 6:37 PM

Thank you all. This is why I come to the experts. I'm buying them today.

OK. Ordered from Brownells and got Wilson springs, they did not have Wolff. And read a couple of places the Wilson are supplied by Wolff anyway, although no proof.
Due to delivery, probably will not have them on opening day, but no big deal.

Thanks to all for your help.
Posted By: Bob Roach

Re: Wolff Springs and 44SRH - 11/03/2017 1:39 PM

I do a few other things when adding springs.
Smooth up the Hammer Spring Strut. They are stamped, and rough as a cob. Start with a file, and end up polishing with a buffer.
I clean up all the Pin Holes with "Quick Attach" drill bits (Turned By Hand).
I add shims to the Trigger and Hammer Dog. The Hammer Shims are a Real Pain to install or Reinstall. I now skip installing them.
A few other contact areas can be polished up. Do not go past slicking the parts up.
You can probably find an article doing a search for GP100 Trigger Job.
Look at You Tube Footage of GP100 Trigger Jobs, several is better. Some are a waste of time watching them. You can learn from others.

NOTE: You can slick up the Hammer Strut while waiting on your springs. That may help the feel.

Good Luck.

Bob
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums