Handgunhunt

First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!!

Posted By: Zee

First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 10/31/2017 11:26 PM

Rancher friend needed to cull a couple deer to give to the folks who take care of his yard. He wanted to try and take them with his Remington 700 in .223 Remington on Sunday evening. Well, we went out and saw lots of does and yearlings, but he wanted to take young/cull bucks and none showed up.

He asked if I had any guns I hadn't taken deer with and I said, of course. So, he told me to bring them on Monday afternoon and we would see what we could do.

I decided to take my Dominator Pistol in .35 Remington and my Benchrest Rifle in .260 Remington. Figured I had everything from 0 to way out there covered.

If they came to the feeder, I'd use the Dominator Pistol.

If they came to one of the sendaros, I'd use the rifle.

Eventually, some does and yearlings came out in all the places and we watched them awhile. Finally, a 4 point walked out by the feeder and I tried to get lined up on him. But, he never would stand broadside and eventually walked back into the brush. After awhile, a spike came out in one of the sendaros and my friend told me to head shoot him with the rifle. Sure.

So, I got set up and aimed in on him. He was moving around and watching a doe and fawns. Not standing still for very long. But, my friend started recording and whistling at him, so i guess it was go-time. Right at the shot, or right before I guess, he dropped his head to feed and the bullet went right over his head as I aimed between his ears.

The gun goes off, the dust kicks up, the deer all jump and try to figure out what just happened. Surprisingly, he didn't bail out of there. Now.........I gotta reload a single shot BR Rifle without an ejector! I open the bolt, remove the spent case from the extractor, grab another round, drop it in the action, and ease the bolt closed as the rifle has a 3 ounce trigger. I find the buck in the scope, he stops and stares my way............bad move.

I put a 140gr A-Max smack dab between his eyes. POP!!! And down he went.

Early enough in the evening, so we waited to see if anything else would come out and after about 20 minutes........they did. Does and BIG bucks!!! Sure were nice to look at.

Just when we were going to call it quits and retrieve the first deer, the original 4 point came back out to the feeder. This time, he was interested in eating and I got lined up on him.

At 104 yards, I launched a 158gr XTP at 2,242 fps at him and put it behind his shoulder as he quartered slightly away. Dropping him on the spot. Something I didn't really expect.

And like that..........we were done.

The .260 Remington Benchrest Spike

The bullet blew his head up like a balloon. Popping his eyeballs and crumbling his skull into tiny pieces. At a MV of 2,920 fps, the bullet wither didn't exit, or exited out his left ear hole area as there was a ton of blood coming from that location.

The .35 Remington Dominator Pistol Buck

This is the fruition of a dream. I had always wanted a Dominator as a young man. Reading articles and seeing pictures of Bob Milek hunting with them. It was a dream come true to finally get one 33 years later and take a deer with it.

Thank you, Ernie. We helped each other in this case.

Loaded the deer in the setting sun and headed to the barn.

At the barn, the folks were waiting for their deer. I just gutted them as they were going to take them whole. So, I didn't get to do the usual autopsy on the .35 Remington results. But, here is the abridged version.

Entry Quartering Forward

Broke 2 Ribs on Entry and 1 on Exiting the Chest Cavity

Entry to Lungs

Exit from Lungs

The bullet lodged under the hide of the off side shoulder without striking any large bones.

Retaining 125.9gr of it's original 158gr weight.

At first glance, I'd say the bullet held together, mushroomed, and penetrated. But, when I look at the "base", it appears that the core separated, reversed itself, and refused with the core. I don't know. But, I cannot separate the two without the possible use of tools. Looking at the jacket, it looks inside out.

Either way, an unquestionably DEAD deer, some well fed people, and a very happy hunter. It was a good time, the fulfillment of a dream, the use of a BR Rifle built by a friend, and time spent with another.

How can that not be a great day?

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 10/31/2017 11:31 PM

Here is the video of the luckiest and unluckiest deer of the day.

https://youtu.be/D7QND780dqQ

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 10/31/2017 11:32 PM

And the Dominator Buck

https://youtu.be/RnpRAezVvv0
Posted By: Ernie

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 10/31/2017 11:40 PM

So excellent!
Posted By: KRal

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 10/31/2017 11:41 PM

Congrats! Couldn't get the link to work.
Posted By: 358TC

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 10/31/2017 11:45 PM

Good shootin,congrats!
Posted By: ruger4570

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 10/31/2017 11:52 PM

Well done, with awesome pictures.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/01/2017 12:23 AM

Great shooting! I always look forward to reading about your hunts.

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/01/2017 12:50 AM

Try the videos again. I think I fixed the settings.

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/01/2017 1:10 AM

Got it!
Posted By: Franchise

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/01/2017 1:18 AM

Man, 35 Remington pistol 👍 very, very nice! Congratulations! I remember the Handgunners from the past 😉 killed a lot of elk with the 35 Remington in the TC Contender

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/01/2017 1:33 AM

They're working for me now.
Posted By: Brenden

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/01/2017 2:08 AM

Good going!
Posted By: PsTaN

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/01/2017 2:17 AM

Nice!!

I remember seeing a picture of a Dominator years ago and thinking it was such a cool gun.

But dude, whatever you had wrong with your eyes has spread!!

Grats on wonderful day.

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/01/2017 2:42 AM

Thanks all.

I REALLY like the Dominator. Something about it is just svelt and handy.

The .35cal has assuredly grown on me as well.

I've used:
.357 Mag
.35 Remington
.358 Winchester
.35 Whelen

And I WANT a .35 Sambar (it'll never happen)

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/01/2017 3:19 AM

35 WSM...Nice
Posted By: 45MAN

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/01/2017 3:22 AM

ZEE: CONGRATS ON THE DOMINATOR KILL. GUYS MAY HAVE TO RETHINK THE USE OF THE 158 gr XTP IN THE MAX AND THE 35 REMINGTON FOR DEER, INCREDIBLE WHAT IT DID AT SUCH A HIGH VELOCITY.

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/01/2017 3:24 AM

I?d like to try the 158gr and 180gr XTP our of my .358 Winchesters as well.

For science!!

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/01/2017 2:03 PM

Is that the Holland bag your resting the Dominator on?
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/01/2017 3:21 PM

Nice work as always, Zee! Congratulations!

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/01/2017 3:47 PM

Zee,

I haven't taken any game yet, but the Speer 158 Deep Curl may be worth giving a try - now that they are available again. I've loaded several and shot in my new Talo 686 - they're just as accurate as the XTP's. I'm thinking with the bonded jacket, they should be as good or better than the XTP's. Hopefully I'll get some data with them this season.

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/01/2017 3:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Ernie
Is that the Holland bag your resting the Dominator on?

Yep.

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/01/2017 4:02 PM

Originally Posted By: KRal
Zee,

I haven't taken any game yet, but the Speer 158 Deep Curl may be worth giving a try - now that they are available again. I've loaded several and shot in my new Talo 686 - they're just as accurate as the XTP's. I'm thinking with the bonded jacket, they should be as good or better than the XTP's. Hopefully I'll get some data with them this season.

Let me know.

I have several hundred of the XTPs. Both 158 and 180 grain. So, I am unlikely to reinvest anytime soon. I have not found their wall yet.

Maybe the .358 Winchester.
Posted By: BushytailBasher

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/01/2017 4:54 PM

Good to know they can take it lol im getting ready to work up some 180s for a 357 max I havent even opened the chamber up and I can get a little over 2000 fps with the 158s sounds like they won't blow up at least

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/01/2017 5:07 PM

This was a 104 yard shot and I didn?t hit major bone. I can?t speak for a closer shot that hits a shoulder or what not at this speed.

Though, I?d like to try.
Posted By: Franchise

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/01/2017 5:17 PM

I know some guys that have used the 180 gr XTP'S in the 358 JDJ for deer...they work....but, that's probably at their velocity limit...good deer bullets though. I too bet the Deep Curls would work pretty dang good
Posted By: cmnash

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/01/2017 6:52 PM

Well done on the shooting and pictures as usual. I am also glad to see a hunting handgun being put to work rather than gathering dust in a collection .

I do love a 35 Reminton handgun! I admit to being a traditionalist and sticking to the 200 grain weight. It is interesting to see experiments with lighter bullets driven faster. I tried the 180 Hornady SSP and have taken several animals with the 200 grain FTX, but always come back to the 200 grain round nose.
Posted By: pab1

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/01/2017 10:03 PM

Congratulations and great story behind the hunt!

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/02/2017 12:50 AM

Thank you all for the kind words.

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/02/2017 12:54 AM

I like revolvers.
I like BA SPs
I like Break Action SPs

If you get the chance to shoot or own a Dominator.........do so. If you like a 1911.........yeah. It just feels right.

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/02/2017 12:59 AM

Zee likes falling block SP?s....
Posted By: BushytailBasher

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/02/2017 1:12 AM

Only problem with trying a hyper velocity shoulder shot with the 158 is what if it doesn't get past the bone lol if you had back up id imagine one going that fast would knock a small deer over long enough for someone to put the down... As for me I was worried about the 158 making it through a large ohio bucks shoulder at any velocity... I hunt a 40 ish acre lot surrounded by some kind of agriculture for a few miles on every side... Yeah 300 pound deer are the rule not the exception... I even feel iffy with a 180 at 2000 on that large a deer but im going to find out this weekend my 357 mag barrel is getting a lift to maximum and I can already get 1800 out of a 180 so we will see....

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/02/2017 1:24 AM

Zee likes falling block SP?s....

Ah yes, my apologies.

The Maximum.........owns a place in my heart as well.

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/02/2017 2:33 AM

As much as you torture test your bullets, I'd love to see what kind of damage you could do with/to a Barnes XPB. Just an idea if you ever get around to it.
\:\)

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/02/2017 2:35 AM

Originally Posted By: BushytailBasher
Only problem with trying a hyper velocity shoulder shot with the 158 is what if it doesn't get past the bone lol if you had back up id imagine one going that fast would knock a small deer over long enough for someone to put the down... As for me I was worried about the 158 making it through a large ohio bucks shoulder at any velocity... I hunt a 40 ish acre lot surrounded by some kind of agriculture for a few miles on every side... Yeah 300 pound deer are the rule not the exception... I even feel iffy with a 180 at 2000 on that large a deer but im going to find out this weekend my 357 mag barrel is getting a lift to maximum and I can already get 1800 out of a 180 so we will see....

Even if the bullet fails, you'd still have 158 grains of lead and copper particles, as well as an assortment of bone fragments, shredding everything in its chest cavity.

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/02/2017 2:40 AM

Originally Posted By: TN Lone Wolf
 Originally Posted By: BushytailBasher

Even if the bullet fails, you'd still have 158 grains of lead and copper particles, as well as an assortment of bone fragments, shredding everything in its chest cavity.

Some folks do not deem that as acceptable.

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/02/2017 2:46 AM

Originally Posted By: TN Lone Wolf
As much as you torture test your bullets, I'd love to see what kind of damage you could do with/to a Barnes XPB. Just an idea if you ever get around to it.

I refuse to pay the price for a Barnes.

I had a friend in CA send me some .223 Rem Barnes ammo as his state is switching to lead free ammo. Asked me to test it.

I shot the biggest hog I?ve shot in years at 80 yards with it. A truly big pig from a ferrel (not fenced) standpoint.

1 shot through the heart and he ran some distance to pile up dead. Recovered the bullet for him in the classic Barnes ?X?.

It worked. Dead pig. Just like all the other ammo I use on pigs. Don?t need to pay that price for a dead pig.

Other animals? Well.........depends on the animal.

I?m in the business of making things dead as efficiently as possible. Why pay more?

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/02/2017 3:32 AM

Fair point.
Posted By: tradmark

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/02/2017 4:01 AM

Great shooting, video, and write up as usual. I like the results!! Congrats zee!

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/02/2017 4:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Zee
I'm in the business of making things dead as efficiently as possible. Why pay more?

You have such a way with words.

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/02/2017 4:14 AM

I'm in the business of making things dead as efficiently as possible. Why pay more?

You have such a way with words.

Only results count.

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/02/2017 4:56 AM

Quit making it sound so simple
;\)
Posted By: Bob Roach

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/02/2017 1:16 PM

Good Job!

Which 158 XTP version were you using FP or HP?

I just picked up a box of 200 FTX's to give a try in the 35 BullBerry. I am wanting to see what they will do. I still have 3 boxes of 180 SSP that will hold me for a few more years. Like you I also have a few boxes of the 180 XTP's and 158 XTP-FP and 158 XTP-HP's on the shelf to work with, along with part of a box of the 140 FTX's.

I have also wondered about the 158 Deep Curls for hunting. Normally I load the 125's and 135's for my short barrel 38 & 357 revolvers. I believe my local reloading supply has the 158 Deep Curls on the shelf.

I need to build another Fackler Water Box to test bullets in. Two deer tags a year and limited freezer space slows down testing on game somewhat.

Again A Great Hunting Story.

Bob

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/02/2017 2:12 PM

I?m running the 158gr XTP-HP
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/02/2017 3:24 PM

The Lone Ranger strikes again......
Posted By: MrMcPorkchop

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/02/2017 3:59 PM

I?m running the 158gr XTP-HP

Congrats! That's impressive for the HP , considering the recommended velocities for those versus the FP. I leave tomorrow to go test some 158 XTP HP for two weeks on Idaho whitetails, I guess I'll have no problems with them at 6" pistol velocities then!
Posted By: REDHAWK1954

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/02/2017 6:24 PM

MrMcPorkchop, what are you shooting them out of.

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/02/2017 6:47 PM

They should work if you do your part.
Posted By: MrMcPorkchop

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/03/2017 4:25 AM

Originally Posted By: REDHAWK1954
MrMcPorkchop, what are you shooting them out of.

I'm shooting them out of a 6" GP100, they are averaging right at 1500 fps.

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/03/2017 11:25 AM

I shot a deer last year with my 6in GP-100 using the 158gr XTP-HP. Quartering towards me at about 21 yards, the bullet struck the point of the shoulder, passed through the heart/lungs, and lodged under the hide at the back of the ribs.

Deer ran a 94 yard half circle and died.
Posted By: ahandgunhunter

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/07/2017 7:05 PM

great write up!
Posted By: rickiesrevenge

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/07/2017 10:01 PM

Awesome. I have a 35WSM in an XP100. It hammers deer. Which so far is the only thing I've killed with it.

Aaron

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/07/2017 11:55 PM

Zee wants a 35 WSM...

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/08/2017 4:18 AM

Originally Posted By: rickiesrevenge
Awesome. I have a 35WSM in an XP100. It hammers deer. Which so far is the only thing I've killed with it.

Aaron

Envy!
Posted By: jwp475

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/10/2017 1:54 AM

Congratulations 🍾

Re: First deer with my Pachmayer Dominator!!! - 11/10/2017 3:59 AM

Thank you.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums