Handgunhunt

Georgia buck in the snow

Posted By: cmnash

Georgia buck in the snow - 12/12/2017 1:36 AM

This Saturday I had the rare opportunity to shoot a Georgia deer in the snow. This is something I had never done before but very much wanted to. The chances to hunt or shoot a deer in the snow here are limited.
The snow started falling on Friday, and on the way home from work I decided I WAS going to shoot a deer in the snow. The dawn broke over about 4 inches of wet snow covering the ground and clinging to all the limbs and branches. I was optimistic because I was sitting in a shooting house where I had previously seen several young bucks. There were fresh tracks made overnight. The snow continued to fall and the woods were loud with pine limbs snapping and clumps of snow dropping.
The first sign of life was a coyote steady going somewhere. I "whooped" at him and he paused momentarily. I brought the MOA in .250 Savage to bear on him with every intention of shooting him, but he was just quick enough to escape .
Late in the morning I saw a single deer headed my way. There was no hesitation. If it had antlers, I was going to shoot. As the deer entered a narrow shooting lane, a glimpse of antler confirmed my decision and grunted with my mouth. The small buck froze at about 65 yards. The MOA was leveled, the hammer drawn, the safety moved, and crosshairs were settled. A 100 grain Ballistic tip was sent on its way...
This shot was a test for the .250 and Ballistic Tip. A quatering toward angle behind a bough of pine draping heavily with snow is the exact scenario I would avoid with this gun and ammo. I was nervous.
I invited my wife and son to join me in tracking and blood trailing in the snow. There was blood and hair at the start but the blood was sometimes sparse along the trail. No worries though, the buck was piled up within 75 yards.
My family helped me drag then hang this buck where we skinned and quartered it. We then packed it in a cooler stuffed with snow.
That was the point of shooting this deer- the total experience shared by my whole family.

As for the Ballistic Tip; not a problem. The bullet did in fact strike a limb just prior to hitting the deers shoulder, evidenced by the large entance wound. There was carnage in the onside, but the bullet had the integrity and steam to penetrate one lung and the liver . The Nosler made it to the offside just under the skin. There was plenty of hemorrhaged blood in the chest cavity.
There is nothing wrong with shooting a deer with a .250 Savage and Ballistic Tips.
Posted By: Brenden

Re: Georgia buck in the snow - 12/12/2017 1:39 AM

Good job man. It's great you and your family could share this together.
Posted By: Mark Hampton

Re: Georgia buck in the snow - 12/12/2017 1:48 AM

Good job with the MOA - Congrats! Nice experience with your family.
Posted By: Franchise

Re: Georgia buck in the snow - 12/12/2017 1:57 AM

I can't wait to hunt with again in March Matthew! Congratulations on a very successful hunt...adding to memories that last a lifetime
Posted By: junebug

Re: Georgia buck in the snow - 12/12/2017 2:22 AM

Nice! I especially like the picture of you and your son dragging the deer. ,Priceless memories!
Posted By: WiseGuy

Re: Georgia buck in the snow - 12/12/2017 3:00 AM

Well done! Nothing like being able to hunt in the snow. Its a rare treat for us southern boys
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Georgia buck in the snow - 12/12/2017 3:21 AM

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with shooting a deer with a .250 Savage and Ballistic Tips.

Indeed. I have always like the nosler BT 120 in 7mm. Congrat's on a successful hunt!
Posted By: tradmark

Re: Georgia buck in the snow - 12/12/2017 4:55 AM

Nice shooting and good job on that buck. I have a 2 week time on our property in january to take spikes and does. I love taking them almost as much as a nice 10pt!! Congrats!
Posted By: pab1

Re: Georgia buck in the snow - 12/12/2017 6:57 AM

Congratulations!
Posted By: Randy M

Re: Georgia buck in the snow - 12/12/2017 11:03 AM

Congrats. That's awesome.
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: Georgia buck in the snow - 12/12/2017 11:13 AM

WTG Matthew, looking forward to seeing you again in March.
Posted By: REDHAWK1954

Re: Georgia buck in the snow - 12/12/2017 11:15 AM

Congrats on a snow buck. I lived in Augusta Ga for nine years and hunted in Burke county and never once got to hunt in the snow. Since I moved to North Carolina 30 years ago I have hunted in the snow several times taking two or three deer in it. The snow makes tracking easy and a lot of fun.
Posted By: cherokeetracker

Re: Georgia buck in the snow - 12/12/2017 2:24 PM

Really cool pics. That was an awesome hunt.
Posted By: KRal

Re: Georgia buck in the snow - 12/12/2017 2:32 PM

Congrats, Matt! I think killing a deer in the snow is a dream of every hunter in the Deep South; it's just such a rare opportunity for us. Usually if were lucky enough to get some snow, it's after hunting season closes.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Georgia buck in the snow - 12/12/2017 3:55 PM

very nice....congratulations
Posted By: KYODE

Re: Georgia buck in the snow - 12/12/2017 3:58 PM

That is wonderful!

I sat in a snow storm one time here. I was up in a pine tree surrounded by its branches and somewhat protected. It was great.....other than i didnt see a dang thang lol.
Posted By: Curly

Re: Georgia buck in the snow - 12/12/2017 4:24 PM

Congrats, that snow sure make dragging a breeze
Posted By: ratgunner

Re: Georgia buck in the snow - 12/12/2017 7:37 PM

Well done
Posted By: Mad Dog 1954

Re: Georgia buck in the snow - 12/12/2017 9:17 PM

OUTSTANDING what a great time. Family is everything
Posted By: cmnash

Re: Georgia buck in the snow - 12/12/2017 11:31 PM

Thanks for the compliments. I am glad you guys get what I saw in this hunt.
Posted By: PinkTC

Re: Georgia buck in the snow - 12/13/2017 2:32 AM

Correction, It should read: My family helped me drag then hang this buck where my wife skinned it and helped me quarter it. Lol!
Posted By: ruger4570

Re: Georgia buck in the snow - 12/13/2017 3:02 AM

Congrats. Great pics and story. We usually have snow now, and haven't had any yet. Go figure...
Posted By: Ernie

Re: Georgia buck in the snow - 12/13/2017 1:37 PM

The 100 NBT has always worked well for me in 25's.
Great story--Congrats!
Posted By: JDK

Re: Georgia buck in the snow - 12/13/2017 2:13 PM

Very cool! Being in Texas, I've once hunted in snow, but it wasn't as much as you had. I wish I could have been hunting in the thick blanket we just had, but I missed it by a day. My son hunts with a .257 Roberts in non +P form. The load uses a regular old Speer 120 grain Hot-Cor, but man does it work. It is like a death ray. I imagine the velocities are probably pretty close to yours. Congrats!
Posted By: SGalan

Re: Georgia buck in the snow - 12/13/2017 3:28 PM

Originally Posted By: junebug
Nice! I especially like the picture of you and your son dragging the deer. ,Priceless memories!

I agree entirely. A keeper.
Posted By: reflex264

Re: Georgia buck in the snow - 12/13/2017 5:23 PM

Absolutely awesome!!!!
Posted By: PsTaN

Re: Georgia buck in the snow - 12/14/2017 12:32 AM

The amount of snow that fell here in SW Alabama was really surprising to me. I'd say probably 5" of snow at my house. I hunted Saturday afternoon and specifically went to a field I knew would have a great deal of melt and expose some grass. Sure enough, the field filled with deer, but nothing I wanted to shoot.

What I found really cool was the Time Lapse images on my trail cam. I feel like I learned a little watching how the deer fed during that weather.

Grats to you on that deer. Certainly an experience us Deep South guys dont get often!!
Posted By: SChunter

Re: Georgia buck in the snow - 12/22/2017 2:21 PM

Congratulations Matthew!
Posted By: Boartuff

Re: Georgia buck in the snow - 12/31/2017 5:02 AM

Way to go! Gotta love the snow!
Posted By: billa

Re: Georgia buck in the snow - 12/31/2017 12:15 PM

Great story. Congratulations on your snow buck. I great memory for the entire family.
Posted By: sw282

Re: Georgia buck in the snow - 01/02/2018 5:42 AM

0nce again you are on target... Scoring a ''Perfect Forty''..

With the whole family cheering you on..

''H A P P Y-N E W-Y E A R-2 0 1 8''
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums