Handgunhunt

I apologize in advance

Posted By: longhunter

I apologize in advance - 01/15/2018 11:22 PM

to any s&w fans I may offend, but this might be the ugliest damn revolver I've ever seen. At least in the top five.
Posted By: dave thomas

Re: I apologize in advance - 01/15/2018 11:42 PM

agreed and i am a smith fan not what i would call a traditional revolver look
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: I apologize in advance - 01/15/2018 11:57 PM

LOL, I have one, it?s my go to gun for deer, usually I carry 2 guns when I Deer hunt, a scoped single shot and a revolver,when I take the big smith I only need one, for woods hunting it works well for me.
Posted By: nytracker

Re: I apologize in advance - 01/16/2018 12:19 AM

Looks like a gun from a sci-fi movie . I could see Chewbacca taking out a storm trooper with that. Lmao
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: I apologize in advance - 01/16/2018 12:48 AM

Let me just say that a friend of my owns the same S&W, and he
removed the front sight
and by doing this he changed the entire look of that handgun....
Now you have a straight fluted barrel, with no obstructions, which made it pleasing to the eye. On a high performance handgun like that, a scope and not a front sight is what`s needed.......
I was impressed how by simply removing such a small piece could change the look of the handgun....
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: I apologize in advance - 01/16/2018 1:23 AM

Brings to mind Han Solo
Posted By: nytracker

Re: I apologize in advance - 01/16/2018 1:44 AM

Been thinking I would like one or perhaps something in 357 max
Posted By: Ramjet-SS

Re: I apologize in advance - 01/16/2018 2:17 AM

Those of us who have shot these u derstanding the beauty of this gun is the resulting target or long range sniping of the game animals we use it on.....
Posted By: tradmark

Re: I apologize in advance - 01/16/2018 3:51 AM

Not traditional but that integral scope rail is something i love about many smiths they make now.

Re: I apologize in advance - 01/16/2018 4:44 PM

Originally Posted By: tradmark
Not traditional but that integral scope rail is something i love about many smiths they make now.

If they would move the top scope rail back over the top strap and pull that bolt out of the end of the barrel it would be a fine looking piece.
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: I apologize in advance - 01/16/2018 5:04 PM

Originally Posted By: longhunter
to any s&w fans I may offend, but this might be the ugliest damn revolver I've ever seen. At least in the top five.

\:D

Posted By: junebug

Re: I apologize in advance - 01/17/2018 12:58 AM

While I agree that the aesthetics leave something to be desired
;\)
Pretty is as pretty does and the one I sighted in for a friend shot VERY VERY WELL!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: curioushooter

Re: I apologize in advance - 01/17/2018 6:35 PM

Well, it looks like it would be functional, but I am really starting to wonder about these exotic revolvers.

Except for the Nagant Revolver, every one of them has a cylinder gap, and with these extreme chamber pressures, you are really running up against a performance barrier and making them hazardous. Seeing one severed finger was enough to turn me off to them. Freedom Arms is the only company that keeps the gap so tight it doesn't seem to matter too much, and only through extraordinary expense are they able to do that.

Why not just put it in a Contender or a bolt-action handgun? No cylinder gap to erode or sever fingers with, no variation chamber to chamber hobbling accuracy, easy to mount optics on, less weight.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE S&W revolvers. It just that they perfected the revolver in 1935 with the N-Frame 357 Mag. Nothing since has gotten me excited. K frames had their problems. L frames never looked as proportional and elegant, and I appreciate the extra weight with stout loads. 44 Mag is overkill for me unless it is loaded down to 44 Special levels. There is still no handgun I shoot better than my Model 28-2, and if I were told I could only have one firearm, that would be the one.
Posted By: James1979

Re: I apologize in advance - 01/18/2018 10:43 AM

You have a straight fluted barrel, with no obstructions, which made it pleasing to the eye. On a high performance handgun like that, a scope and not a front sight is what`s needed.......
I was impressed how by simply removing such a small piece could change the look of the handgun
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: I apologize in advance - 01/18/2018 5:15 PM

Originally Posted By: curioushooter
Well, it looks like it would be functional, but I am really starting to wonder about these exotic revolvers.

Except for the Nagant Revolver, every one of them has a cylinder gap, and with these extreme chamber pressures, you are really running up against a performance barrier and making them hazardous. Seeing one severed finger was enough to turn me off to them. Freedom Arms is the only company that keeps the gap so tight it doesn't seem to matter too much, and only through extraordinary expense are they able to do that.

Why not just put it in a Contender or a bolt-action handgun? No cylinder gap to erode or sever fingers with, no variation chamber to chamber hobbling accuracy, easy to mount optics on, less weight.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE S&W revolvers. It just that they perfected the revolver in 1935 with the N-Frame 357 Mag. Nothing since has gotten me excited. K frames had their problems. L frames never looked as proportional and elegant, and I appreciate the extra weight with stout loads. 44 Mag is overkill for me unless it is loaded down to 44 Special levels. There is still no handgun I shoot better than my Model 28-2, and if I were told I could only have one firearm, that would be the one.

If S&W had quit bringing out "new" stuff after they "perfected" the revolver in 1935, they would be long out of business.

As a matter of fact, several years ago they made a Corporate decision to only produce weapons for the police and military markets and only sell to the same. Anybody remember this?

At any rate, that damn near put them out of business so they reversed that decision; lucky for us. This is just another example of how companies have to continually develop and bring out new products AND TRY TO DEVELOP NEW MARKETS, not decrease their existing market, to stay alive.

So again, developing new and innovative products, including "ugly" revolvers, keeps their cash flow going; that way they stay in business, and we the shooters get new toys to play with!

Posted By: tradmark

Re: I apologize in advance - 01/18/2018 6:11 PM

I love alot of their new stuff.
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: I apologize in advance - 01/19/2018 12:58 AM

The gun works for me,I snipe deer from a ladder stands, if you want to see ugly , look at my Frankenstein single shots

Re: I apologize in advance - 01/19/2018 1:15 AM

I'm sure they are quite functional and accurate, but I wouldn't want me friends to see me shooting it.
Posted By: curioushooter

Re: I apologize in advance - 01/19/2018 1:25 AM

That's one of the problems with the firearms industry in general. Firearms are very durable, and most people have them and never shoot them. So, for a long time, the marketing people have had to induce desire with ever increasingly strange things, with ever narrower appeal. That or realize that females make up half the adult population and start selling to them. I would be highly surprised if that monstrosity will be purchased by many females, while I know for a fact they are purchasing regular revolvers plenty.

Frankly I would appreciate it if S&W focused more on delivering quality out of the box without a dozen trips back to Massachusetts of classic designs for minimal cost than producing more monstrosities. I think they would make more money this way too.

For example, if they brought back a well made (as good as the P&Red era) Model 27 with 6" barrel for under $700,I would buy it. They've reintroduced a classics n-frame series with the model 22, 25, 27, and 29 over the last few years and they've sold well I think, despite their high price tags.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: I apologize in advance - 01/22/2018 3:35 PM

As much as I love her, I agree she ain't the prettiest:

But she more than makes up for her looks with performance:

(That's a sub-MOA 5-shot group)

And then there's this:
Posted By: Jeff460

Re: I apologize in advance - 01/24/2018 9:26 PM

I have a 6.5 inch, half-lug barrel 500 Smith and Wesson with integral compensator that is Classic in looks and over-the-top in performance. I am a fan.
I also have a 460 Smith and Wesson with a 5 inch barrel and changeable muzzle brake.I like its clean look too. I use the 500 for 500 JRH and the 460 for 454 Casull. Less muzzle flash and still high in performance. I also shoot 45 Colt for practice in the handling of the gun. Buffalo Bore makes a 440 grain 500 JRH running a sedate 950 fps. Makes the 500 Smith and Wesson a fun gun to shoot and still good for hunting big game.
Posted By: brentpham

Re: I apologize in advance - 11/27/2018 9:36 AM

Originally Posted By: James1979
You have a straight fluted barrel, with no obstructions, which made it pleasing to the eye. On a high performance handgun like that, a scope and not a front sight is what`s needed.......
I was impressed how by simply removing such a small piece could change the look of the handgun

You are right, chaging the scope have much effect on the handgun

best air purifier|best large room air purifier|best air purifier for office|best air purifier for bedroom|best air purifier for allergies|best air purifier for pets|best air purifier for smoke|best air purifier for mold|best air purifier for dust
Posted By: Umair

Re: I apologize in advance - 10/31/2020 7:32 AM

I likewise have a 460 Smith and Wesson with a 5 inch barrel and variable gag brake.I like its spotless look as well. I utilize the 500 for 500 JRH and the 460 for 454 Casull. Less gag glimmer and still high in execution. I likewise shoot 45 Colt for training in the treatment of the firearm. Wild ox Bore makes a 440 grain 500 JRH running a quiet 950 fps. Makes the 500 Smith and Wesson a great weapon to shoot and still useful for chasing major game.
Posted By: Jeffrey G.

Re: I apologize in advance - 11/02/2020 12:46 AM

Buffalo Bore also makes a load for the 500 JRH with a 440 grain at 1350 fps at the muzzle for the big stuff. Buffalo Bore makes a Dangerous Game loading with flat meplat bullets by Lehigh of pure copper. From 10mm up to 500 S&W magnum.
Posted By: Giblett

Re: I apologize in advance - 11/11/2020 1:20 AM

I have one of them ugly guns lol shoots pretty good.

Re: I apologize in advance - 11/11/2020 2:49 PM

Said revolver! When I first seen these I thought why would someone stick a hunk of pipe in a perfectly fine S&W.

Posted By: Vance in AK.

Re: I apologize in advance - 11/11/2020 11:12 PM

form follows function....
I'd rather have an "ugly" gun that shoots lights out than a "pretty" gun with fair accuracy.
Thankfully I didn't have to choose! I just got a target gray super redhawk!😉
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums