Handgunhunt

Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver

Posted By: ScoutV2

Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/24/2018 2:37 PM

I need help from knowledgeable people!

I am looking for 1 Gun 1 caliber for the multiple roles listed in the title.

I do NOT handload and do not have the time or finances to start. So off the shelf ammo availability is critical.

List of needs:

[list]
Revolver (single or double action doesn?t matter to me)
All day carry
Off the shelf ammo
Capability for black bear, deer, coyote (I hunt deer and coyote but have seen an increase of black bear in our area. Don?t plan to hunt but would like to have something for worst case I can?t run away situation)
Fast draw. Do not want a super long barrel
Iron Sights (Not interested in scope or dot sights)

Thanks for y?alls help
Posted By: EricS

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/24/2018 3:31 PM

Smith 69 combat magnum. If you like autos the Glock 20 will fill that role well also. Being proficient enough for hunting with an iron sighted handgun is expensive whether you buy ammo or load it yourself. I haven?t had the model 69 but it?s on my list. I have killed deer and hogs with the 10mm. I have been impressed with how well the lightweight handgun kills but not crazy about the blood trails or lack there of.
Posted By: TM

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/24/2018 3:38 PM

Just an opinion here, but that is what you asked for. I would think a good .44 magnum would work for that application. .44 special loads would work for most things you mentioned but then I saw black bear could be in the mix so I would go with the magnum loads. There are a lot of good factory loads for that caliber.
Posted By: JDK

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/24/2018 4:38 PM

6" barrel is a good compromise between carry and hunting use. Tha 44 is great, but the .357 is adequate too for your needs. Glock 10mm is a good suggestion as well, but true 10mm powered ammo isn't cheap. Most is loaded to .40 S&W levels, which isn't too bad. To be honest, a good 4"-6" .357 is hard to beat due to the low cost of ammo and the factory load selection offering rounds suited to everything from cottontails to bear and hog. Plus, the guns are lighter in weight and plentiful. The used gun market is heavy with 357 revolvers. That's my two cents.
Posted By: Randominator

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/24/2018 5:12 PM

A revolver with a 5"-6" barrel chambered in 45LC would be my first choice.
Posted By: karl

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/24/2018 5:15 PM

That is a broad wish list for a one gun solution. There will be lots of trade-offs. You will have to figure out what factors are important to you. How much do you want to shoot? How sensitive are you to cost? How sensitive are you to recoil? Big, medium or small hands? (Whatever you pick, I would make sure it fits your hands or can be modified to fit) Big, medium or small body build? How easy will it be to pack a big and heavy vs small and light pistol?

I recently picked up a 6" gp100 and think the 6" barrel would be a bit long for every day convenience but should be nice for hunting. The 38 special for $0.25-$0.30 a shot makes range time more affordable and 200gn hard cast at ~1300fps will handle bear with other options in between for other species. I think 357 would do what you want, but it won't be a one load solution.

The more I think about it, I think this is an excuse to get a couple new guns
\:\)
Posted By: Jeff460

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/24/2018 5:40 PM

I would echo the idea of a 4 1/4" Combat Model 69 Smith and Wesson 44 magnum/44 Special. It is a five-shot revolver and the top load would be a Garrett 300 grain 44 magnum load at about 950-1000 fps out that gun. The 44 Special loads would be good for small game and for getting used to the feel and handling of the gun.
A move could be in your future or a trip to a place where bigger bears are possible. So load for bear with a 44 magnum that is easier to carry. I hope this advice is helpful.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/24/2018 6:41 PM

I'd consider a 4" GP-100 in 357 Magnum for the tasks indicated. The recoil of a 44 magnum can be intimidating for some, especially with a short barrel, and shot placement is paramount. Size and weight of the gun may also be a concern. Black bear aren't that hard to kill, and the likely hood of needing to kill one in self defense is minute but the 357 would be up to the task. Loaded ammo is available in a wide range of performance options, from light 38 special to heavy 357. Keep in mind though, that point of impact changes significantly with bullet weight so you can't just swap out loads in the field and expect to hit the to the same POA with out a sight adjustment.
Posted By: az_shooter

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/24/2018 7:20 PM

I think a S&W 329PD would fit the bill, a DA/SA .44 mag revolver that is ~25 oz. empty. Granted I wouldn't want to shoot full-tilt .44 loads all day, but you aren't looking for a plinking gun.

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/24/2018 8:24 PM

I?m a large fella... 6feet 275lbs large hands. I?ve shot for a long time. Not particularly recoil sensitive. Largest handguns I have shot 10inch 500s&w and 300wsm savage bolt action pistol.

Just looking for a good all around gun. I like the 5 inch Ruger Super Redhawk Toklat in 454 then I could carry 45 colt or if I get the chance to go out west or Alaska I?d have the capability of the 454.

Any advise against that?
Posted By: Gary

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/24/2018 8:30 PM

I would go with a 44 Magnum personally. It has distinct advantages in off-the-shelf ammo options over any other cartridge in the same class. I would suggest a barrel length for a revolver of 4 3/4 to 6" but I would personally opt for the shorter one. I would't go below that length because they get too hard to shoot accurately at any distance given a short sight radius and the thickness of the front sight relative to the target. I don't care for DA guns so I would be looking at a Ruger or BFR. At the end of the day, plan on spending a lot of time shooting the gun if you want to be proficient with it.
Posted By: Walkingthemup

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/24/2018 10:21 PM

First principle: "The best gun for the job is the one you have on you at the time you need it".

It might sound trite, but the point is that what you need is something that is so comfortable to carry that you won't be tempted to leave it at home. You've already indicated a requirement for a revolver so I would suggest something not too heavy and a barrel length of 4-5" Maximum.

You stated "Don?t plan to hunt but would like to have something for worst case I can?t run away situation". To me this indicates that your primary driver is black bear defense up close and personal. If so we're talking about quick response shooting at a charging target. While placement is still required, finesse may not be an option. Therefore I'd be choosing either a .44 or .45/.454 calibre option.

I don't know anything about ammo availability in your area and so can't comment on that aspect. A quick tour around the local gunshops will tell you whats readily on the shelves. This may be irrelevant if you will only be carrying for protection and only doing and minimum of practice. A couple of boxes a year may be all you need.

A 24/7 all weather carry workhorse suggests stainless construction.

Actually I'd go Glock 10mm, however you've specified revolver. So I'd kinda swing to a DA rather than SA due to ease of load and unload. Also DA for rapid multiple shots. But then that's just me. There are plenty of people on this forum with vastly greater experience who'd choose SA. You need to work out what works for you.

You've specified iron sights. If possible try out a fibre optic front sight for quick pickup.

Put these together and possibilities include the Ruger Redhawk with 4.2" barrel, Ruger Toklat (possibly too heavy/bulky but varies with the individual), S&W 629/329 with 4-5" barrel. Alternatively any SA of that size. Stick with a reliable brand.
Posted By: Ramjet-SS

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/25/2018 12:28 AM

The 10mm revolver from Glock G20 or G40 lol

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/25/2018 12:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Walkingthemup
First principle: "The best gun for the job is the one you have on you at the time you need it".

It might sound trite, but the point is that what you need is something that is so comfortable to carry that you won't be tempted to leave it at home. You've already indicated a requirement for a revolver so I would suggest something not too heavy and a barrel length of 4-5" Maximum.

You stated "Don?t plan to hunt but would like to have something for worst case I can?t run away situation". To me this indicates that your primary driver is black bear defense up close and personal. If so we're talking about quick response shooting at a charging target. While placement is still required, finesse may not be an option. Therefore I'd be choosing either a .44 or .45/.454 calibre option.

I don't know anything about ammo availability in your area and so can't comment on that aspect. A quick tour around the local gunshops will tell you whats readily on the shelves. This may be irrelevant if you will only be carrying for protection and only doing and minimum of practice. A couple of boxes a year may be all you need.

A 24/7 all weather carry workhorse suggests stainless construction.

Actually I'd go Glock 10mm, however you've specified revolver. So I'd kinda swing to a DA rather than SA due to ease of load and unload. Also DA for rapid multiple shots. But then that's just me. There are plenty of people on this forum with vastly greater experience who'd choose SA. You need to work out what works for you.

You've specified iron sights. If possible try out a fibre optic front sight for quick pickup.

Put these together and possibilities include the Ruger Redhawk with 4.2" barrel, Ruger Toklat (possibly too heavy/bulky but varies with the individual), S&W 629/329 with 4-5" barrel. Alternatively any SA of that size. Stick with a reliable
brand.

Thanks for the input. I will probably hunt deer with said revolver. But black bear have moved in on our hunting property. I know they are generally calm. Just want more than my LCR and single shot pistol with me if it went south. I really like the Toklat. Just don?t know if the 45/454 is what I need.

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/25/2018 12:45 AM

Also have hopes and dreams of going out west and Alaska. Bucket list style!
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/25/2018 1:58 AM

5.5? 45 Colt or 5.5 44 mag
Posted By: ruger4570

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/25/2018 2:52 AM

Based on your needs I would give a lot of consideration to a 4.2" or 5.5" Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag or 45 colt, or a Smith 29 variation in 44 mag for DA revolvers.
For a SA revolver look at the Ruger Super Blackhawk in 4 5/8" or 5.5". Also the Blackhawk in 45.
Posted By: 500WE

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/25/2018 1:01 PM

A Toklat wouldn't be my first choice, because a .454 is more than is necessary for your stated needs, and powerful-enough .45 Colt ammo is hard to find off the shelf.
But you've hit us over the head twice saying you really like the gun (and we've kind of failed to listen) so buy it.
Nevertheless, in my view a .357 or .44 Mag. is plenty for your needs as I understand them. I agree with Gary's advice.

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/25/2018 1:53 PM

Not trying to hit anyone over the head here... just wanting information. Yours is great. I don?t know much about the 45 colt. So if you are suggesting that off the shelf 45 colt is not enough and 454 is too much that is useful information and I appreciate it. Thank you

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/25/2018 3:41 PM

Originally Posted By: ScoutV2
Not trying to hit anyone over the head here... just wanting information. Yours is great. I don?t know much about the 45 colt. So if you are suggesting that off the shelf 45 colt is not enough and 454 is too much that is useful information and I appreciate it. Thank you

I believe with the .45, you may find yourself in the same situation as the 10mm, with much of the ammo being sedate. Much of the .45 Colt ammo is made to work in all guns chambered for it, like old Colts and Italian replicas. It sounds like you would be interested mainly in the so-called "Ruger Only" loads, so named because Ruger was the first maker to mass market guns capable of handling more powerful loads. These are easily found on the 'net, but not in Walmart. They aren't cheap though. As a matter of fact, these boutique loads in all calibers are down right expensive IMHO. Anyway, .357 and .44 Magnums don't really have this issue since they don't need to be run hotter than spec., though hot boutique loads are available for them as well. That said, if you buy or load hot ammo, the .45 can do more than the .44. I've never had one, so I can't say if the difference is appreciable. But, it exists on paper for sure.

I've not had a .454 either, but it's reputation for recoil seems well deserved. So, it in a short barrel may be rough. I have shot a shortish FA .475 Linebaugh and it wasn't something I'd use for a plinking session! Plus, the .454 may not be as efficient as other rounds in a short barrel. I don't really know. Again, as for as cost, I can't see the .454 being nearly as cheap or available as the common magnums.

Though I have a custom Dave Clements 4" Redhawk, I ended up getting a Glock 29 10mm for hiking in questionable (animal wise) places and working on my land where hogs roam. The reason being that I shoot Glocks regularly, so it's natural for fast shooting, and it's a true pleasure to carry.
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/25/2018 4:01 PM

Originally Posted By: az_shooter
I think a S&W 329PD would fit the bill, a DA/SA .44 mag revolver that is ~25 oz. empty. Granted I wouldn't want to shoot full-tilt .44 loads all day, but you aren't looking for a plinking gun.

My thoughts precisely, az-shooter. I have carried mine for all of the above and also many many miles on horseback.

My other favorite choice would be a short barrel SBH; mine is a customized version. But the 329 would be lighter and is a double action which means it could be fired faster that way in an emergency situation if needed.

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/25/2018 6:30 PM

I would recommend a gun that is easy to carry but powerful when called upon. I like double-action revolvers because if you break your arm or have to defend yourself with one arm and still need to shoot you just pull the trigger and BOOM!!
The Model 69 Smith and Wesson with a 4.25 inch stainless steel barrel is light at 34-37 ounces. It only holds 5 rounds and is easy to carry. And 44 magnum has every loading from mild to wild to shoot. And 44 Special is also a round to use in a Model 69 Smith and Wesson. Go with the 4.25 barrel and not the 2.75 inch barrel. Just my two cents worth buddy.

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/26/2018 12:12 AM

The 329 is 12 ounces lighter than the 69 and holds 6 rounds if you so desire. Both same barrel lengths (well almost: 4.125" vs. 4.25")

Also, IMO the sights are superior on the 329: Light Gathering HI-VIZ? Red Dot front and black v-notch rear, adjustable; vs. the 69: Front Sight: Red Ramp and Rear Sight: White Outline, Adjustable.

Jeff, that one-armed thing you wrote is almost a "digital copy" of what I have written before in these pages and also tell the women in my handgun classes (and guys for that matter)
I have taught quite a few ladies and girls and guys to shoot and I always use similar wording when asked to recommend a self-defense handgun, especially for the in-experienced.

And when I was a Certified Handgun Hunting Tester for the old Colorado Division of Wildlife I also expressed those ideas to my prospective hunters and actually had a few of them change their handgun to a DA when it came time to qualify.
;\)

Posted By: GG

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/26/2018 1:41 AM

I have been trying to find the perfect gun for many years. Dozens and counting. Hope I never find it......lol

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/26/2018 1:48 AM

I agree with Gregg. If it is not absolutely reflexive, you will not do it in a crisis. That includes cocking a hammer. Thats really only important during self defense use, so it may not weigh heavily in your decision, but it's good to keep in mind if your carrying for protection.

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/26/2018 2:06 AM

Thanks for all the information. I believe I will start looking for a 44. I want something I can shoot a lot with many different loads so I will probably lean towards a Ruger. I?m not super concerned about the weight. I?m not a big fan of the scandium frames.
Posted By: Muddy

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/26/2018 2:19 AM

With the criteria given:

Easy for all day carry
Factory ammo
Powerful enough for up to black bears/hogs
May use for some hunting
Would like to someday go where bigger stuff roams....

My choices would be one of these two;

S&W 4" M629
Ruger Super BH 4 5/8" SS

Both 44 mags of course. You'll be able to get ammo anywhere and it will be powerful enough for your needs. The choice between these two is simply SA vs. DA and there are volumes written and opinions vary...all correct of course.
The 329 Smith is a great gun to carry but can be a tough one too shoot for some. You want your gun to be fun to shoot. My choices are probably biased because I have been shooting N frame Smiths and Ruger BH's as long as I've been shooting.

Dan
Posted By: BRASF0311

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/26/2018 3:41 AM

I just picked up one of these as a "Do-It-All" gun, and so far, it's awesome. The 45 acp is cheap to shoot, and the 45 Colt can be loaded heavy enough for anything I will encounter. I added Fiber Optic sights to mine.

Ruger's Video

Gunblast Review

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/26/2018 3:50 AM

Originally Posted By: BRASF0311
I just picked up one of these as a "Do-It-All" gun, and so far, it's awesome. The 45 acp is cheap to shoot, and the 45 Colt can be loaded heavy enough for anything I will encounter. I added Fiber Optic sights to mine.

Ruger's Video

Gunblast Review

To borrow a phrase from John Taffin, that is a perfect packing' pistol!
Posted By: BRASF0311

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/26/2018 4:24 AM

It carries well in a pancake holster, and it also shoots 45 Super, 460 Rowland, and 45 Schofield ammo. Not all that common of ammo, but it's out there, and it just adds to the versatility of the revolver. Kind of reminiscent of the old Medusa gun concept, but in a big bore now.

Medusa M-47
Posted By: billa

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/26/2018 4:54 AM

My backwoods packin? gun is a stainless Super Blackhawk, Bisley 3 3/4 inch in 44 mag. Carried in a Simply Rugged pancake holster. Usually Crossdraw. sometimes I carry my vintage Colt 1911 in 45ACP or my Redhawk 44 mag.
If I was buying a lightweight everything gun I would probably go with a 6 inch Light frame S&W 44 mag as several of the others have noted or possibly a GP 100 in 44 Special or perhaps in 357 mag if its not a high risk bear area. A light frame 45LC would also be a good choice. Funny thing is I don?t own such a gun as I usually carry a full size steel gun.

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/26/2018 12:46 PM

Originally Posted By: billa
My backwoods packin? gun is a stainless Super Blackhawk, Bisley 3 3/4 inch in 44 mag. Carried in a Simply Rugged pancake holster. Usually Crossdraw. sometimes I carry my vintage Colt 1911 in 45ACP or my Redhawk 44 mag.
If I was buying a lightweight everything gun I would probably go with a 6 inch Light frame S&W 44 mag as several of the others have noted or possibly a GP 100 in 44 Special or perhaps in 357 mag if its not a high risk bear area. A light frame 45LC would also be a good choice. Funny thing is I don?t own such a gun as I usually carry a full size steel gun.

I have been looking at the bisley 3-3/4 in 44. How do you like it? I know it?s not long enough to hunt with in some states. But it does look and feel nice.

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/26/2018 3:17 PM

Thank You! I recommend the Model 69 with 4.25 inch barrel over the lighter Model 329 that holds six rounds because of the titanium cylinder. Shooting lighter bullets at a high velocity can break down the leading edge of the cylinder. It has happened using the 357 magnum version using the titanium cylinder with lighter bullets going very fast. Even the instructions provided by Smith and Wesson declare that lighter bullets at the higher velocity will break down the titanium on the face of the 357 magnum cylinder. And a little more weight in the Model 69 would help with recoil. You can use an X-frame Hogue grip on the model 329 that helps with the additional recoil of the lighter gun. The 329 is a scandium frame with a steel lined barrel. The model 69 is all stainless steel on a L-frame and it really feels light compared to a N-frame. The point is this should be a piece legal to hunt with and any shorter barrel than 4 inches is not generally legal to hunt with.

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/26/2018 4:00 PM

I have been looking at the bisley 3-3/4 in 44. How do you like it? I know it?s not long enough to hunt with in some states. But it does look and feel nice.

I really like the Lipsey special. It is my first Bisley grip handgun and it feels great. Every other Shooting gun I have has Neoprene grips. I do not like the standard Ruger plow handle as it tends to bite from the trigger guard. Ideally I would probably prefer a 5? as a true hunting tool but as a backup to my primary hunting gun or for just walking around this gun is great. I would feel good with it on deer or bear out to 35 yards or so. Probably push to 50 with little concern.

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/26/2018 4:05 PM

Here is a link to the Lipsey RSB information

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2012/08/16/limited-edition-ruger-bisley-44-magnum/
Posted By: Craig44

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/26/2018 5:33 PM

For this role, I like a moderately loaded big bore all over the .357. It will do the job without making my ears bleed. So anything that propels a 240-260gr cast bullet to 900-1000fps (.44Spl, .44-40, .45ACP, .45Colt) out of a relatively light sixgun is plenty. A Colt-sized single action or N-frame usually gets the nod but I'm really digging the new half lug .44Spl GP-100.
Posted By: junebug

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/26/2018 8:05 PM

Weight is always a consideration for a gun you carry a lot.I have a 4 5/8th Black Hawk and a 5 1/2 in Bisley in .45 Colt. The aluminum frame and ejector rod housing on the Black Hawk make it noticeably lighter on the belt compared to the steel framed gun both carried cross draw.It gets carried and the Bisley sits at home.The only gun that does you any good is the one you carry always and shoot well, so weight is a consideration. As Craig said anything 44 special and up works . If the 357 is chosen I would want at least 3 Punch bullets or heavy cast up first in bear country. The 357 would NOT BE my first choice.

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/27/2018 2:30 AM

Thanks I?ll have to check it out!

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/27/2018 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Craig44
For this role, I like a moderately loaded big bore all over the .357. It will do the job without making my ears bleed. So anything that propels a 240-260gr cast bullet to 900-1000fps (.44Spl, .44-40, .45ACP, .45Colt) out of a relatively light sixgun is plenty. A Colt-sized single action or N-frame usually gets the nod but I'm really digging the new half lug .44Spl GP-100.

I looked at one of these GP100 44s just a few minutes ago. I really liked the feel of it. Would the 44 Special have enough go juice for black bear? That and hogs would be my only concern here in GA

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/28/2018 1:03 AM

The old rule of thumb, from what I recall, was for hogs\black bear\etc. You want:
Minimum .40 caliber
Minimum 200 grains
Minimum 1000 FPS

I can't speak to how accurate that info is, but I've heard it for years. I assume the GP100 will handle Elmer's .44 Special load of a 250 gr. slug at 1100 FPS. If so, I'd say it's plenty for just about anything You'll run into.
Posted By: bluecow

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/28/2018 3:20 PM

i have lived in Black Bear country my hole life and have carried a 6 inch single six, for woods bumming, for 40 years and never felt under gunned. then i may be dumber than most. having bear at the end of the drive way while not common is not a shocker ether. in answer to your question, S&W m65 4 inch or the like, 44 spl or up would do fine. as you don't reload or care to at this time would get a 357 or 44 mag that way you can find ammo anywhere. JMHO if it was going to be an auto it would be a 1911 45acp.
Posted By: Muddy

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/28/2018 4:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Craig44

I looked at one of these GP100 44s just a few minutes ago. I really liked the feel of it. Would the 44 Special have enough go juice for black bear? That and hogs would be my only concern here in GA

YES!

Problem may be finding factory ammo. Several good choices available but not on every shelf. Plenty online sources.

Dan
Posted By: IKE

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/29/2018 1:06 PM

I carry a 4" .357 Mag. GP-100 when in the woods but if I was going to change I'd go with the fairly new 5" Ruger GP-100 chambered in .44 Special (Mdl. number 1765).

There may be better deals out there but I believe Bud's Gun Shop has them in stock for $622.00.

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/29/2018 8:19 PM

Thanks everyone for the help here!!! I have been to multiple LGS and have found that I like the feel and balance of the Single action Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44mag. I like the stainless models the most. I have looked at the 5.5, 4.62, and 3.75 and can not decide on what I like the most.I like the 3.75 because it will carry well while I have my long single shot CVA with me, But I feel that it may not have good performance out of the shorter barrel.

Does anyone have experience with these 3 different barrels that can tell me if it will make much difference?
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/29/2018 8:25 PM

I'd go with at least the 4-5/8" barrel if for no other reason that some states require at least a 4" barrel for hunting big game.
Posted By: Walkingthemup

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/29/2018 8:34 PM

Ballistics by the inch have results for .44 mag factory loads against different barrel lengths. http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/44mag.html
While informative, performance is often more about the human factor, so the question will be how well the sight radius and balance work for you.

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/29/2018 9:19 PM

The level of performance is related to the task. For self defense, a two inch barrel .44 magnum may be adequate. With the right load, it could reach out much further. Ease of use and comfort will suffer. If 50 yards or so is all you intend to use it for, I think any of those lengths should work well enough. Just understand the shorter barrels, while as intrinsically accurate as the longer tubes, are much harder to shoot accurately. Elmer Keith seemed to love his 4" guns. Hard to argue with his results!

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/30/2018 2:20 AM

Thanks guys. I hadn?t thought much about the fact that other states have minimum barrel length laws. Thanks for bringing that up.

I also like the info about Elmer Keith liking his 4? guns.

I guess I will take another look into the 4-5/8 barrel it sounds like the best compromise between carry and shoot ability.

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 01/31/2018 2:09 PM

Originally Posted By: s4s4u
I'd go with at least the 4-5/8" barrel if for no other reason that some states require at least a 4" barrel for hunting big game.

Good advice. FWIW Wyoming and Colorado require a minimum of a 4" barrel length.
Posted By: curioushooter

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 02/01/2018 1:43 AM

This is hard for me, because I don't think a revolver is the best handgun for the kind of woods, hiking, etc. by me, BUT if it has to be a revolver no question my S&W 28-2 357 mag with Hogue rubber grips.

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 02/02/2018 3:05 PM

Revolvers are all that you need. Revolvers come in the power levels necessary to take down any animal worldwide. As a woods carrying firearm the revolver is second to none. It works more reliably than the semi-auto and can handle more kinds of ammunition due to the use of a rim to hold the base of the cartridge and common diameters of bullets. For example, the 460 X-frame from Smith and Wesson can shoot 460 Smith and Wesson, 454 Casull, 45 Long Colt and 45 Schofield all because of the diameter in common and the rim that holds the cartridge from sliding forward in the cylinder.
A 10 mm semi-auto can also be used because of the availability of good ammo made to increase its penetration. But a revolver is as good as it gets in my opinion.
Posted By: Zee

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 02/02/2018 5:03 PM

Thanks everyone for the help here!!! I have been to multiple LGS and have found that I like the feel and balance of the Single action Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44mag. I like the stainless models the most. I have looked at the 5.5, 4.62, and 3.75 and can not decide on what I like the most.I like the 3.75 because it will carry well while I have my long single shot CVA with me, But I feel that it may not have good performance out of the shorter barrel.

Does anyone have experience with these 3 different barrels that can tell me if it will make much difference?

The 4.6in SBH is one of my favorite woods carry guns.

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 02/03/2018 2:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Jeff460
Revolvers are all that you need. Revolvers come in the power levels necessary to take down any animal worldwide. As a woods carrying firearm the revolver is second to none. It works more reliably than the semi-auto and can handle more kinds of ammunition due to the use of a rim to hold the base of the cartridge and common diameters of bullets. For example, the 460 X-frame from Smith and Wesson can shoot 460 Smith and Wesson, 454 Casull, 45 Long Colt and 45 Schofield all because of the diameter in common and the rim that holds the cartridge from sliding forward in the cylinder.
A 10 mm semi-auto can also be used because of the availability of good ammo made to increase its penetration. But a revolver is as good as it gets in my opinion.

I agree that the variety of revolvers that are available can meet any need as described in this thread. I love my Contenders for longer range and open country but in the woods a revolver is the way to go!

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 02/03/2018 2:18 AM

For a 1 gun solution with hunting in the criteria I would opt for the longer 5.5 inch barrel.
Posted By: big spruce

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 02/03/2018 3:48 PM

I m late to the party, but I'll through my 2 cents in. I carried the Super Black Hawk with a 5.5" barrel for 2 years. It's gone now. That little bugger just didn't shoot worth a hoot for me. Now I m running a Glock 40 10mm for open trail carry during hunting season. I have been for the last year or so. It also has it's pluses and minuses. I m planning on using it for Black Bear over bait at bow ranges this august, but that's not 100% firm especially with my 358 win ready at a moments notice. Now with all that said. My Glock is much easier to carry and much faster into action on the trail. Used it all fall while I was out hunting and in Montana as well.

My 44 SBH was ok to carry and heavy as all get out. I use my 10 mm for our local steel shoots to practice all summer. Couldn't even begin to fast draw and reload with the 44 mag SBH lol. Long story longer, there are many on here with excellent suggestions and more experience than my self, but if I was looking for a do all gun I would hands down go with a DA revolver in at 357 mag with a 4-6" barrel.

357 would be your least expensive to shoot especially with 38 special and trust me a good 38 load is all we need out here on the east coast from Florida to Maine.

GA bear is no more of a threat than the bears here in the ADK or along the PA border. I find dogs and people to be much more of an issue (huge actually). Also we are required by law to CC out side of hunting season on the trail(and in public). I carry a S&W 442 in 38 Special and never feel under gunned. I use a basic 125 gr xtp at normal pressures and feel I could turn any 2 or 4 legged thing around if need be.

My picks would be DA Revolver SP 101 357 with 4.2 barrel. Dream to carry and shoot cheaply. After that I would go with a Smith combat 69 in 44 mag/ special. Finally I would go with G20 or G40 in 10 mm if you where so inclined to consider a Semi.

If you intend to CC with the same handgun I would go either SP 101 / G20 for do all's
Posted By: 416ruger

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 06/30/2018 4:22 PM

Single action bisley revolver chambered in 480 Ruger. 4.62 inch barrel, loaded with 410 grain buffalobore ammunition.
Posted By: Scott B

Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver - 07/21/2018 11:15 PM

I couldn't find a one size fits all revolver for all of the duties described in the first post. In areas where black bear are the biggest critters in the woods I carry a Ruger GP100 .357 mag Stainless 3" TALO Wiley Clapp for a camping/woods bumming gun. For hunting in those same areas I use either a Ruger GP100 .357 mag Stainless 6" TALO Unfluted or a Dan Wesson .357 mag Stainless 7.5" Ported.

For areas where either grizz or moose are present I carry a S&W 629 .44 mag Stainless 5" for my woods bumming/camping gun. In the areas with big critters I carry a S&W Performance Center 629 .44 mag 7.5" Ported Stealth Hunter for hunting.

All of my revolvers are stainless steel and I prefer 3"-5" barrels for carry and 6"+ for hunting.

If nothing else I justified the purchase of multiple firearms.

If I had to compromise and select one revolver for the OP's chosen duties a 5" GP100 in .357 mag would make a fine piece.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums