Handgunhunt

Going back to iron sights

Posted By: billyb

Going back to iron sights - 01/29/2018 2:28 AM

I have an Encore 44 mag with a 12" barrel. First used a variable 2x7 then went to Burris FastFire. Killed a lot of deer and hogs. Since I hunt in the swamp most shots would be 25 to 35 yards. 50 yards would be max. I think I am going back to open sights next season. Can anyone recommend a good front and rear sight for short range hunting?
Posted By: 45MAN

Re: Going back to iron sights - 01/29/2018 11:51 AM

BILLYB: YOU GOT ENUFF LIGHT IN THE SWAMPS FOR OPEN SIGHTS, ESPECIALLY BLACK ON BLACK? I DO NOT KNOW IF I WOULD GO BACK TO OPEN SIGHTS, IF THE LIGHT IS NOT RIGHT YOU CUD HAVE PROBLEMS. I DO NOT HAVE MUCH EXPERIENCE WITH THE FIBER OPTIC SIGHTS BUT A LOT OF THE GUYS HERE REALLY LIKE THEM.

Re: Going back to iron sights - 01/29/2018 12:49 PM

Light is not the issue. The woods were thick here years ago when I started hunting and each year gets worse. It was difficult to get deer in the variable scope moving between trees so I switched to a red dot. It works fine, but I just want to try open sights. Would Williams sights be a good choice?
Posted By: KRal

Re: Going back to iron sights - 01/29/2018 4:08 PM

Thompson center makes/made fiber optic sights for their barrels. You might want to give them a try, they're quality sights.
Posted By: sixshot

Re: Going back to iron sights - 01/30/2018 7:29 PM

I love using iron sights even though I'm older but I have to have some contrast so I always paint the front sight. Black on black, at least for me is not a good combo for hunting, targets yes but hunting no.

I paint the front sight white with a felt marking pen, let it dry & then paint it with bright orange, red, etc & it's quick & easy to find. A black on black setup against a dark hog or even a deer sometimes is a tough target, at least for me.

Many times I've gone to carrying 2 guns, one scoped, sticking out of my backpack & one belt gun with irons. But I admit a Red Dot would be better, I just haven't went back to them yet.

Dick
Posted By: Snyd

Re: Going back to iron sights - 02/01/2018 1:52 AM

White outline rear and black front sight with white vertical line is a great combo.

Re: Going back to iron sights - 02/17/2018 4:05 AM

I am having a hard time finding some quality sights. The original front sight is not fiber optic and that is what I want. Any suggestions? Might have to go back to a red dot, but I wanted to try open sights.

Re: Going back to iron sights - 02/17/2018 4:58 AM

I haven't thought about painting a dot on my front sight. Going to try that.
Posted By: KRal

Re: Going back to iron sights - 02/17/2018 1:46 PM

Originally Posted By: billyb
I am having a hard time finding some quality sights. The original front sight is not fiber optic and that is what I want. Any suggestions? Might have to go back to a red dot, but I wanted to try open sights.

I noticed T/C offers their fiber optic rear sight for sale on their web, but not their front sight (don't make no sense)....anyway, I think I have a few sets of T/C fiber optic sights (front an rear). If you're interested in giving them a try, let me know.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Going back to iron sights - 02/18/2018 7:31 PM

here are the fiber optic front and rear sights on my S&W m-29....
Posted By: Garrett

Re: Going back to iron sights - 02/24/2018 4:59 AM

I have been playing around with various iron sight combos on my SBH lately trying to figure out what to hunt with so it will be interesting to see what others use. I tried a fiber optic front with the Warren One Hole rear peep. Found it to be fast and pretty accurate. Do any of you use one to hunt with? What are the downsides? Even though I was shooting it well, I talked myself into swapping it out for a full set (front/rear) Williams Fire Sights... red and green fiber optics. I like them too but kinda miss the rear peep... maybe just because it was different?
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums