Handgunhunt

Pdogs in WYO

Posted By: cherokeetracker

Pdogs in WYO - 05/09/2018 10:24 PM

Well I was informed today that in the grasslands there is little or no hunting of Prairie Dogs. From what I was told, the plague came through last year and wiped out a lot of them.

Maybe Ernie can chime in and give me a report in his neck of the woods.

I was told if I came up, to bring a book to read, and possibly an Artist Easel, since I would not be doing much shooting.

Charles
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: Pdogs in WYO - 05/10/2018 3:53 AM

Actually even the Durham Buffalo Ranch where I hold my antelope hunts told me the same thing happened on the ranch itself. This is about 38 miles south of Gillette where Ernie lives.
Posted By: Ernie

Re: Pdogs in WYO - 05/10/2018 4:09 AM

Some of the towns around Newcastle are less this year. Haven't been out myself yet.
North of Gillette they are fine

Re: Pdogs in WYO - 05/10/2018 11:43 AM

Thank You both. I will give a call to a man I know who lives near the town of Buffalo.
I was told that the plague moved across Nebraska then moved into Wyoming. This was from a Biologist in Wyoming.

Pays to check, and also know people.

Re: Pdogs in WYO - 05/10/2018 11:32 PM

Around the Newcastle area the numbers are definitely down.
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: Pdogs in WYO - 05/12/2018 4:12 AM

About 8-9 years ago the ranch spent thousands of dollars to poison some 5000 acres of pdogs...they were just starting to come back pretty good then this happens.

I had a few dozen 3-400 pdogs a day there but the poison is dang near 100% effective from what I understand.

Re: Pdogs in WYO - 05/16/2018 3:45 AM

Talked to Phil today, and he said the number are not down that bad, but the bad news is he is full up. He said he might be able to work me in, but I will have to see. I may just forget this and go all out for shooting with Ernie.

Charles

Re: Pdogs in WYO - 05/16/2018 4:38 PM

Charles,
Give me a holler, if you are serious about coming to WY-SHOT.
307-257-7431
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums