Handgunhunt

Grizzly Bear Protection

Posted By: FAH

Grizzly Bear Protection - 06/05/2018 3:21 PM

I hunt all seasons out west, Archery, Black Powder and Rifle (Handgun).
When I am Bow hunting I want protection from Grizzly's. Recently I have herd so called experts say that a hardcast LFN 9mm or a 10mm is best for Grizzly's because of the high velocity and slim profile of the bullet to get deep penetration.
What do you all think about that?
I have always carried my .45 Colt S&W Mountain gun with 4" barrel and 300 gr. LFNGC at 900 fps. as my protection, should I switch to a 10mm maybe?
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: Grizzly Bear Protection - 06/05/2018 3:44 PM

No, I would maybe just load your .45 a bit higher velocity; if possible. Recoil shouldn't be a factor as in the real situation you will never feel it when adrenalin kicks in.
Posted By: billa

Re: Grizzly Bear Protection - 06/05/2018 4:39 PM

I disagree with the auto guys that a 9mm or 10mm is better. Granted they Have been used to kill attacking bears but that does not make them superior to a heavy revolver round with a proper penetrating bullet.
Posted By: Sawfish

Re: Grizzly Bear Protection - 06/05/2018 5:35 PM

You will only have one chance to find out if your 9mm is effective on a charging grizzly. Are you feeling lucky? Billa is right "a heavy revolver round with a proper penetrating bullet".
Posted By: wvhitman

Re: Grizzly Bear Protection - 06/06/2018 12:50 AM

Every time I hunted in griz country I carried my FA .475 L with 390 gr. casts. If it was good enough for my rhino, black bear and lioness I figured it was good enough for the griz
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Grizzly Bear Protection - 06/06/2018 1:09 AM

Quote:
hardcast LFN 9mm

Dude gets lucky and dispatches a bear with a 9mm and now it is the be all of griz protection, SMH

Ha, saw that comin'......
Posted By: Badubet

Re: Grizzly Bear Protection - 06/06/2018 1:10 AM

I wouldn?t carry smaller than the 45 you Carry now
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: Grizzly Bear Protection - 06/06/2018 1:29 AM

I think it comes down to people using what they have, personally I like a revolver, double action, something that starts with a 4, with a heavy hard cast bullet pushed hard.
Posted By: sixshot

Re: Grizzly Bear Protection - 06/06/2018 2:31 AM

As always, shoot the most you can handle because good hits trump bad misses. Some guys over gun themselves & the heavy recoil only gives them one shot. The guys shooting small calibers will probably get some hits on target but bullet selection is very, very important. Heavy, hard bullets are best.
Something that can cover 30 yds in 2 seconds can get your attention in a hurry. Almost forgot, how fast can you get your gun out???
The 9mm shooter was shooting from the side, he wasn't the one being attacked. Also he's one of the best bear guides in Alaska. Choose wisely..........

Dick
Posted By: Midwesthunter11

Re: Grizzly Bear Protection - 06/07/2018 4:54 AM

Ok so I have a couple 10 mms a glock and a blackhawk. Even with heavy hard cast bullets recoil is no issue. For your purposes out west the glock would be lighter. Not a lot mind you even fully loaded it is only slightly less heavy than your Smith. It holds 15 rounds which is why some guys like it. If you prefer revolvers they do have super redhawks in 10mm. Way to bulky in my opinion for your intended use. Also null in voids the only advantage you have with 10mm capacity. Beats a sharp stick as they say ,butt a accurate 45 beats attempting to make a kabob out of an 800 pound monster lol
Posted By: reflex264

Re: Grizzly Bear Protection - 06/07/2018 10:43 PM

This is one of the few autos I would trust with a big bear. My 460 Rowland is accurate, reliable powerful enough to bust a bear skull. It can easily generate 1000ftlbs with bullets capable of breaking big bones. I have actually been practicing point shooting my 480 Super Red Hawk double action with the scope on and it would be very formidable as well.
Posted By: 416ruger

Re: Grizzly Bear Protection - 06/08/2018 4:52 AM

You always want to bring enough gun (portable) and always want to be prepared to take on the animal you wouldn't like to see on the, in this case a grizzly of large proportions. Assuming you are proficient with big bore revolvers, you would look at the 475 and various 50 calibers on the market. A properly loaded 480 ruger will drop anything on the north America continent. For less than a $1,000 you can pick up a Ruger Single action in 4.62 inch or 6.5 inch barrel. If double action is preferred you have the option of the Ruger Alaskan with 2.58 inch barrel or a longer tube in the Ruger redhawk. All of the noted firearms should be loaded with 410 hardcast from Buffalo bore. Out of the 6.5 inch barrel muzzle velocity is approximately 1225. That is your best bet. Good luck and stay safe on the trail.
Posted By: FAH

Re: Grizzly Bear Protection - 06/08/2018 12:50 PM

Gents, thanks to all of you for taking the time to provide valuable info to the subject.
Greatly appreciate it !
Posted By: rleprechaun

Re: Grizzly Bear Protection - 06/08/2018 9:03 PM

Listen to the wvhitman, a 5 shot 45 Colt, 454 casull, 475 or 500linebaugh with hard cast bullets. They are more compact than the 460 &500S&W and have all must as much power.
Posted By: Russell

Re: Grizzly Bear Protection - 06/09/2018 8:32 PM

FAH, nothing wrong with your current .45 Colt, gun and load. Pretty much what JLinbaugh carries when he's out in 'bear' county and he builds the .475 and .500's.
Posted By: sw282

Re: Grizzly Bear Protection - 06/11/2018 1:21 AM

Shot Prairie Dogs near Clayton NM this past weekend on a small

110 section ranch.. Much to my surprise the rancher said Grizzly

bears were a problem this time of the year due to Calving.. l was

under gunned with my S&W 642 for Griz but quite comfortable with

#9 snake shot for those slinking serpents:-)

Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: Grizzly Bear Protection - 06/11/2018 3:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Russell
FAH, nothing wrong with your current .45 Colt, gun and load....................

Exactly.
Posted By: bluecow

Re: Grizzly Bear Protection - 06/13/2018 10:46 AM

some years ago a man went out to drive a elephant from his garden. shot it with a .22, elephant drops dead. that dont make a 22 an elephant gun. there have been velocity v weight/size bullet discussions for longer than we have been alive. Moro Tribesman, O'Connor/Kieth,............. me i'll take big and heavy every time.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Grizzly Bear Protection - 06/20/2018 4:36 PM

Originally Posted By: bluecow
some years ago a man went out to drive a elephant from his garden. shot it with a .22, elephant drops dead. that dont make a 22 an elephant gun. there have been velocity v weight/size bullet discussions for longer than we have been alive. Moro Tribesman, O'Connor/Kieth,............. me i'll take big and heavy every time.

Watched an 8" sow feed her cubs salmon from the stream and kill the jumpy fish with a bite to the head... The sound of the breaking bones echoed to my ears... Something I`ll never forget.... Big bears are just that...Big...
Posted By: 416ruger

Re: Grizzly Bear Protection - 06/30/2018 7:04 AM

Nothing less than 44 mag with buffalobore +p+ 340 grain hardcast
Posted By: wyote

Re: Grizzly Bear Protection - 06/30/2018 2:57 PM

I carry a Ruger Bisley in 45 colt. My load is a 280 gr WFN cast bullet over a load of H110. I also have a FA 454 but with a 7 1/2 in barrel it doesn't carry as well as my 5 1/2 in Ruger.

When I'm in the mtns it seems like most the people is see carrying are carrying 44 mags
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums