Handgunhunt

Muley with the 45

Posted By: sixshot

Muley with the 45 - 08/27/2018 7:24 PM

Took this muley doe today with my Ruger Bisley 45 & the grand old 260 gr Keith with 18.5 grs of 2400. This load has been a long time favorite for decades, not only for me but for many lovers of the fine 45 caliber six guns.
Again, this was a depredation hunt, only today the deer were really jumpy, it was easy to see that they had been hunted pretty hard since I had been here last. Every deer I spotted was up & running, this wasn't going to be easy. Plus there weren't as many deer as before, somebody had pressured them pretty good & many of the brushy draws were empty, the heavy cockle burr patches where I had hunted before only held 2-3 deer & they were up & running as soon as I got close.
I got off the 4 wheeler & walked some new areas & did jump some deer but again they were up & running as soon as they sensed danger (me) & they never stopped to look back. AS mentioned my belt gun today was my Bisley 45, a gun & caliber that I dearly love. I've taken lots of game with the 45 including 4 elk, the 45 is a proven game getter, with correct loads it takes a back seat to nothing.
My second gun as usual was my scoped 357 Maximum 10.5" gun, it's been with me on every trip & not once has it been out of the Barranti shoulder rig. I thought today I might have to use it the way things started out, this was turning into another sweaty, dirty, smoky (fires) in your face grind.
I made a 4-5 mile swing & the only thing I spotted was 7-8 antelope going top speed across a section of short Alfalfa. Watching antelope is one of my favorite things to do but you have to do it quick, these 80-90 lb Ballistic Missles can change zip codes in 90 seconds so you can't take your eyes off them or they are out of sight in a hurry.
I decided to leave the area I had been hunting & go into some border line cover that was close by & I had seen deer there in past years. There is a place where they have used a bull dozer to push up a long dirt bank, probably to stop erosion. This spot has a bunch of rock & Sagebrush grown in & is about 10-15 yds wide with CRP on one side & a harvested grain field on the other. You will see a photo of the end of it about the 4th photo. It's wider further back.
As I ease along going slow I have my walking stick in my left hand & the bottom resting on my left foot board. You will see a couple of photo's of it also. After about 200 yds I spot a deer sneaking through the very tall (4-5 feet) Sagebrush moving away from me but not running. I stop & run my left wrist through the leather loop on my walking stick as I draw the Bisley 45 from my strong side Barranti rig, the same rig I wore when I shot the antelope. With my left wrist through the loop I had to twist it 3-4 times to get my wrist high enough & then I could get both hands on the gun. This is a very steady hold, one I've used many times but never while sitting on the 4 wheeler.
I finally spot the deer & it's partially hidden by some Sagebrush but not enough that I can't get a bullet in there. The doe is facing to my left as I settle the "Sixshot" fiber optic sight on the rib cage & start my squeeze. At the shot the deer drops & 3 other deer take off to my left out into the CRP on a hard run. I wait 3-4 seconds & see my deer get up & take 8-10 steps out into the stubble & drop.
The big Keith slug had broke the left front leg, hit the heart & one lung & exited, it never gets old with a six gun, ever, doing it with the grand old 45 brings back a lot of memories, all of them good. I ranged the shot after I pulled the trigger which is how it works out many times. Sometimes I can range an animal before the shot but many times it just doesn't work out that way, like on the antelope, I misjudged it bad but the flat shooting gun bailed me out. The shot was 58 yds using my walking stick as a rest. You see the gun in my left hand but that's just for the photo. I almost always shoot right handed.

Dick
Posted By: Randy M

Re: Muley with the 45 - 08/27/2018 7:35 PM

Dick, this is outstanding! Congrats. You're having one heckuva season so far.
Posted By: REDHAWK1954

Re: Muley with the 45 - 08/27/2018 7:43 PM

Nice hunt!
Posted By: Sawfish

Re: Muley with the 45 - 08/27/2018 7:55 PM

Very impressive.
Posted By: Mark Hampton

Re: Muley with the 45 - 08/27/2018 8:00 PM

Congrats Dick! As always, good story, good photos, good looking revolver.
Posted By: ruger4570

Re: Muley with the 45 - 08/27/2018 8:20 PM

Ditto what Mark said.
Posted By: cherokeetracker

Re: Muley with the 45 - 08/27/2018 10:07 PM

Good Hunt. Enjoyed the story and pics.
Posted By: pistolpat

Re: Muley with the 45 - 08/27/2018 10:11 PM

Great story and great shot.
Posted By: 45MAN

Re: Muley with the 45 - 08/28/2018 12:23 AM

ANOTHER GREAT HANDGUN HUNT, WTG.

MAYBE IN MY EARLY 45 COLT YEARS (THE EARLY 70's) I MAY HAVE TRIED 2400 BUT I HAVE NEVER RELIED ON IT, BUT I GUESS IT WORKS AND WORKS WELL.
Posted By: Brenden

Re: Muley with the 45 - 08/28/2018 1:33 AM

Another job well done. Congratulations.
Posted By: pab1

Re: Muley with the 45 - 08/28/2018 5:03 AM

Congrats!
Posted By: dhom

Re: Muley with the 45 - 08/28/2018 9:33 AM

It doesn't get any better!!!!
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: Muley with the 45 - 08/28/2018 10:35 AM

Well Done Dick, looks like your having a lot of fun. 1

Re: Muley with the 45 - 08/28/2018 3:53 PM

Rey, that means you must use Unique & H110/296. The latter are the same but they were different several years back, like in the 70's you mention.
My summer time load is 9 grs of Unique for Badgers, Rock Chucks, plinking, etc. For deer it's almost always been 18.5 grs of 2400 & always with the Keith bullet & then when elk are on the menu I think all 4 were taken using H110 with either the 260 gr Keith or a 325 gr LBT. All were complete penetration.

Dick
Posted By: 45MAN

Re: Muley with the 45 - 08/29/2018 1:16 AM

DICK: I USE 8.5 - 8.8 grs OF TRAIL BOSS WITH FED 155M PRIMERS FOR THE 250 - 270 gr BULLETS, VVN-110, ALSO WITH FED 155M PRIMERS, FOR FASTER LOADS, AND, IF I WANT 454 BALLISTICS WITH 45 COLT CASES IN MY FA REVOLVERS, OR IF I WANT TO USE HEAVIER BULLETS, I USE 296. WHAT THEY ALL HAVE IN COMMON IS BULK, i.e. THEY DON'T LEAVE MUCH, IF ANY, UNUSED SPACE IN THE CASE. I BOUGHT SOME HS-6 AND LONGSHOT BUT AT MAX LOLADS THEY ARE VERY LOW VOLUME, JUST NOT WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR.

Re: Muley with the 45 - 08/29/2018 3:23 AM

Well Rey I don't think anyone could argue with your experience using the grand old 45, I know I won't. Burned some Longshot today but it was in a heavy barrel Smith & Wesson model 10 I just bought from Buds. Fun gun & I'll keep it in the truck.

Dick
Posted By: KRal

Re: Muley with the 45 - 08/29/2018 1:25 PM

Dick, you've had a great starts this year! Congrats and look forward to see how the rest of your season goes.
Posted By: tradmark

Re: Muley with the 45 - 08/29/2018 5:25 PM

Congrats dick. Nicely done!

Re: Muley with the 45 - 08/30/2018 1:16 AM

Thanks Mark, thought I was going to have to call you for knee replacement after that stalk from hell on the antelope. Looking forward to hearing about your Safari.

Dick
Posted By: billa

Re: Muley with the 45 - 09/02/2018 3:32 AM

Another nice one. Filling the freezer with good eats!
Posted By: Bill from Oregon

Re: Muley with the 45 - 09/14/2018 3:41 PM

Dick, great report, and so glad you still have the fire in your belly!
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums