Handgunhunt

HHM Custom Knife Winner

Posted By: KRal

HHM Custom Knife Winner - 09/14/2018 11:36 PM

A while back, Gregg Richter was taking donations in an attempt to save this great website. In an effort to enhance the donation participation, I told Gregg I would donate a custom knife build and everyone that donated would have a chance to win. Gregg did the drawing at the predetermined date and the winner was Mark Hampton.

Mark settled on a "Slim Hunter" model, but couldn't decided on scale material and suggested I just suprise him. So, after much thought, I decided to go with sheep horn - I mean, what better choice for the man that's "Addicted to Altitude". Sheep horn is one of those material that you never know what it will look like until it's complete. Some time they turn out extremely beautiful and some time just Ok.
This set turn out somewhere in between. The blade steel is 1/8" D2 and has a satin hand rubbed finish. It has mosaic pins and duplex liners of black and cinnamon.

I hope Mark likes it and it serves him well. He's getting it just in time for hunting season. I'm going to attempt to post photos with a cell phone -keep your fingers crossed.

Posted By: karl

Re: HHM Custom Knife Winner - 09/15/2018 12:27 AM

Looks great!
Posted By: rougerocco

Re: HHM Custom Knife Winner - 09/15/2018 1:17 AM

Looks Awesome!!
Posted By: wheelguns

Re: HHM Custom Knife Winner - 09/15/2018 1:39 AM

Looks awesome Kim. Do you have a web site or some how to see your knifes?

Re: HHM Custom Knife Winner - 09/15/2018 2:37 AM

Thanks everyone! Norm, I don't have a website,but I do have a facebook page that has many examples. Just check out the photo album. You can search "Ralston Knives".
Posted By: pab1

Re: HHM Custom Knife Winner - 09/15/2018 4:54 AM

Very nice work!
Posted By: Okie Hunter

Re: HHM Custom Knife Winner - 09/15/2018 6:28 AM

Great job KRal. A functional work of art.
Posted By: Walkingthemup

Re: HHM Custom Knife Winner - 09/15/2018 7:24 AM

Fantastic work. If that what you describe as "somewhere in between", I'd love to see those you think are "extremely beautiful".
Posted By: 45MAN

Re: HHM Custom Knife Winner - 09/15/2018 12:28 PM

GREAT KNIFE, THE ONLY FLAW I SEE IS THE SHEATH IS FOR RIGHT HAND WEAR. MOST GUYS ARE RIGHT HANDED SO MOST PISTOLEROS WEAR THEIR BELT GUN ON THE RIGHT SIDE, AND THE KNIFE ON THE LEFT.

BEAUTIFUL KNIFE I AM SURE MARK WILL LIKE IT.

Re: HHM Custom Knife Winner - 09/15/2018 12:42 PM

Rey, I'm in the same boat as you (being a handgunner), I prefer a left handed sheath, but oddly enough most hunters want a knife on the strong hand side. That being said, most hunters I build for are not handgun hunters.
Posted By: ruger4570

Re: HHM Custom Knife Winner - 09/15/2018 2:03 PM

Wow, absolutely stunning.
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: HHM Custom Knife Winner - 09/15/2018 3:38 PM

Awesome Kim, thank you for your generosity!
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: HHM Custom Knife Winner - 09/15/2018 3:57 PM

Looks great!
Posted By: 45MAN

Re: HHM Custom Knife Winner - 09/15/2018 4:34 PM

KRal: WHENEVER I HAVE ORDERED A CUSTOM KNIFE I HAVE ORDERED A LH CARRY SHEATH AND THE MAKERS HAVE ALWAYS ACCOMODATED ME. WILL HAVE TO GET MY WIFE TO GET ME ON FB TO LOOK AT YOUR KNIVES.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: HHM Custom Knife Winner - 09/15/2018 7:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Chance Weldon
Looks great!

Re: HHM Custom Knife Winner - 09/16/2018 5:40 AM

Originally Posted By: 45MAN
GREAT KNIFE, THE ONLY FLAW I SEE IS THE SHEATH IS FOR RIGHT HAND WEAR. MOST GUYS ARE RIGHT HANDED SO MOST PISTOLEROS WEAR THEIR BELT GUN ON THE RIGHT SIDE, AND THE KNIFE ON THE LEFT.

BEAUTIFUL KNIFE I AM SURE MARK WILL LIKE IT.

Originally Posted By: KRal
Rey, I'm in the same boat as you (being a handgunner), I prefer a left handed sheath, but oddly enough most hunters want a knife on the strong hand side. That being said, most hunters I build for are not handgun hunters.

I usually use a crossdraw holster when hunting so I wear a knife on my right (strong) side. I've also come to like dangler sheaths over the last few years. They are user friendly for sitting on the ground or getting in and out of vehicles. They also keep the handle out of the way of the hip belt on backpacks. I never thought I would like a dangler sheath but once I tried them I was hooked.

Just curious, what grind do you usually put on your knives?

Re: HHM Custom Knife Winner - 09/16/2018 12:22 PM

Phil, I do a flat grind on all my knives, as of now. One day I may get into doing hollow grinds - I don't know. To do a good hollow grind, it requires a jig (at least it would for me). I grind free-handed, so for now I'll stick to flat grind.

Re: HHM Custom Knife Winner - 09/16/2018 5:57 PM

Originally Posted By: KRal
Phil, I do a flat grind on all my knives, as of now. One day I may get into doing hollow grinds - I don't know. To do a good hollow grind, it requires a jig (at least it would for me). I grind free-handed, so for now I'll stick to flat grind.

Great choice of grinds! I'm far from being an expert but IMO flat grind is a great choice for a wide variety of chores. Its also one of the easiest for most people to sharpen with minimal effort.

Re: HHM Custom Knife Winner - 09/16/2018 6:45 PM

Exactly!
Posted By: bluecow

Re: HHM Custom Knife Winner - 09/18/2018 11:54 AM

VARY NICE KNIFE! Thank You for your generosity. Everything else is just B.S.
Posted By: reflex264

Re: HHM Custom Knife Winner - 09/18/2018 10:48 PM

Beautiful as usual!
Posted By: Sawfish

Re: HHM Custom Knife Winner - 09/20/2018 6:38 PM

Beautiful work!
Posted By: Mark Hampton

Re: HHM Custom Knife Winner - 09/24/2018 7:07 PM

Gentlemen, I just received the knife today. I can tell you the photos do not do it justice -- it's absolutely beautiful! I want to thank Kim for this kind and generous gift -- as well as Greg/Chance for keeping this site up and running. Many thanks to you all.

Appreciatively,
Mark Hampton

Re: HHM Custom Knife Winner - 09/25/2018 6:31 PM

Glad you like it, Mark. Hope it serves you well.

Maybe it'll work as good as a Swiss Army knife.
\:D
\:D
Posted By: Mark Hampton

Re: HHM Custom Knife Winner - 09/25/2018 9:29 PM

Ha - It's going to beat a Swiss Army knife hands-down
\:\)
Posted By: 73837486

Re: HHM Custom Knife Winner - 10/11/2018 4:45 AM

state of the art.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums