Handgunhunt

bear/10mm

Posted By: jamesfromjersey

bear/10mm - 09/18/2018 5:37 PM

From Reeder`s web site: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/0...ck-10mm-pistol/

What do you guy`s think???
Posted By: karl

Re: bear/10mm - 09/18/2018 6:14 PM

Oof! Not a situation I would like to find myself in. I wonder how many rounds he shot during the encounter. Makes me wish Zee would have been around for an autopsy and pics.

You could second guess a lot of choices in this story, but the bottom line is complacency will get you.
Posted By: sw282

Re: bear/10mm - 09/18/2018 6:22 PM

IMHOP, l would spell it 'f o u r-f I v e-e I g h t' Winchester.

510gr SP @ 2000fps, 5000fpe from my old Win Model-70.

l have a box of 100 44cal 240gr NORMA steel jktd SP Boolits.

Same as Robert Peterson used to kill his World Record Polar Bear.

Anybody interested?

Update... Normas GONE

Posted By: Seminole Wind

Re: bear/10mm - 09/18/2018 7:35 PM

I wonder what Bridger do different in a do over? Maybe use enough gun and don't stop shooting until the threat is down?
Posted By: tradmark

Re: bear/10mm - 09/18/2018 7:52 PM

Gun is fine, bigger is better but its all in the bullets. Those hornady?s are not the right choice for 400lb furry adversaries. I know a guy who knows that guide. Ill ask him to see what the guide in question thinks.
Posted By: 45MAN

Re: bear/10mm - 09/18/2018 8:39 PM

WILD AMERICA! THANK GOD HE TOOK THE GLOCK WITH HIM, TOO MANY GUYS KNOCKABOUT UNARMED, A BIG MISTAKE.
Posted By: sixshot

Re: bear/10mm - 09/18/2018 8:51 PM

That's true, it's not going to save you if you leave it home. Also it's true that the bullet is more important than the caliber. Of course you have to be able to hit the target but would you rather have a medium caliber with good bullets or a big caliber with mediocre bullets?
He's got more stitches than some of my wife's quilts.

Dick
Posted By: Walkingthemup

Re: bear/10mm - 09/18/2018 9:24 PM

x2 The only thing that saved him was the 'afterthought' to take the gun. Should have been SOP, not an afterthought. Calibre and bullet are irrelevant if you don't have it when you need it.
Posted By: nytracker

Re: bear/10mm - 09/19/2018 1:29 AM

I have been seeing more bears in the last 3 years than I have in the past 38 years of hunting.I have had a bear try to climb my ladder stand with me in it . Encountered a mama with 3 cubs at ground level. I had a Healthy bear follow me out of the woods at dark for 300 yds thick brush. Had another bear follow me 2 days in a row to my deerstand. That bear was apparently hit by a car and it was limping hard on its front.Found dead a week later. Same bear had followed another hunter on the lease. I don't carry any food and there was no bait as it's illegal here in NY. I won't bow hun anymore without my glock. Any time I'm out and about my 21 is with me. Might not be a 10mm or a 454 but it's something with me.
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: bear/10mm - 09/19/2018 1:38 AM

Thank God he had the Glock!
Posted By: 45MAN

Re: bear/10mm - 09/19/2018 11:36 AM

RE nytracker's COMMENT AND ABOUT SEEING MORE BEARS, I WAS VISITING WITH A TEXAS WILDLIFE OFFICER THE OTHER DAY, AND THERE ARE MORE AND MORE BEARS MOVING INTO VAL VERDE, EDWARDS AND SURROUNDING COUNTIES (THEY COME OUT OF THE MONTERREY MOUNTAINS IN MEXICO JUST OVER THE BORDER FROM DEL RIO, TEXAS). INSTEAD OF BEING JUST THE OCCASSIONAL VISITOR NOW THEY SEEM TO BE MOVING IN. ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM AND SOME BIG BOARS GO 350 - 400 lbs. A BEAR EVEN HALF THAT SIZE CAN KILL YOU. THEY WILL DESTROY YOUR DEER FEEDERS AND ALL YOU CAN DO IS CALL THE GAME WARDENS AND HOPE THEY CAN CATCH AND RELOCATE.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums