Handgunhunt

Mark Hampton's Latest Adventure!

Posted By: Darrell H

Mark Hampton's Latest Adventure! - 09/19/2018 12:03 PM

Our friend Mark Hampton has just returned from Mongolia where he took this Altai Wapiti. Incredible trophy Mark, huge congrats!!!
Posted By: KRal

Re: Mark Hampton's Latest Adventure! - 09/19/2018 12:16 PM

Congrats! That's a very unique trophy and a very good example of one to boot! I'd never heard of the Altai Wapiti until Mark mentioned it to me - had to read up on it a little.
Posted By: reflex264

Re: Mark Hampton's Latest Adventure! - 09/19/2018 1:22 PM

Awesome!
Posted By: cherokeetracker

Re: Mark Hampton's Latest Adventure! - 09/19/2018 2:26 PM

Congratulations Mark !!! That is a beautiful animal. Look forward to some info about your choice on the caliber and load.

Charles
Posted By: Mark Hampton

Re: Mark Hampton's Latest Adventure! - 09/19/2018 3:58 PM

Thanks for posting Darrell! I just returned from Mongolia. Took this Altai wapiti (Asian version of our elk) with an H-S in 270 WSM using Federal Trophy Copper - 130 gr. ammo. Shot was 200 yards. Got lucky and also took a Siberian roe deer. Great experience in a land full of culture and tradition. Photos are not great. Trying to explain to a Mongolian how to take proper photos -- when they don't understand English, is quite a challenge.
Posted By: sixshot

Re: Mark Hampton's Latest Adventure! - 09/19/2018 4:18 PM

Really a great trophy Mark, really keeping the barrel warm on that 270, nice shooting!

Dick
Posted By: tradmark

Re: Mark Hampton's Latest Adventure! - 09/19/2018 4:47 PM

Nice elk!!! Looks great
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Mark Hampton's Latest Adventure! - 09/19/2018 8:52 PM

There is www,.... the World Wide Web...and then there is WWH..World Wide Hunter...Mark Hampton...Only problem is there may not be much left for you to hunt as you have taken almost everything....
Posted By: JDK

Re: Mark Hampton's Latest Adventure! - 09/19/2018 9:41 PM

Congrats! I find it fascinating that the pic (the animal, vegetation, etc.) could have been taken in the US and look exactly the same. Not being a world traveler, I assume the flora and fauna will be "exotic" in the far reaches of the globe.

Re: Mark Hampton's Latest Adventure! - 09/19/2018 11:59 PM

John, It all depends on where you're hunting. A lot of this area we hunted looked much like western US.
Posted By: junebug

Re: Mark Hampton's Latest Adventure! - 09/20/2018 12:19 AM

Well done Mark as always. No Nosler pistol this time ? The scenery is kind of a shock. The name Mongolia dosn't bring that kind of scenery to mind.
Posted By: Randy M

Re: Mark Hampton's Latest Adventure! - 09/20/2018 12:49 AM

Outstanding, Mark! Congratulations on a fine trophy.

Re: Mark Hampton's Latest Adventure! - 09/20/2018 1:31 AM

Junebug, I wanted a little more horsepower than the 6.5 CM so the Nosler stayed home. This was my 4th hunt in Mongolia - in an area not hunted before. Yes, it was different scenery than hunting areas previously experienced.
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: Mark Hampton's Latest Adventure! - 09/20/2018 1:46 AM

Awesome trophy, WTG Mark!!
Posted By: pab1

Re: Mark Hampton's Latest Adventure! - 09/20/2018 1:55 AM

Very nice animal! Congrats Mark!
Posted By: PsTaN

Re: Mark Hampton's Latest Adventure! - 09/20/2018 2:10 AM

Originally Posted By: JDK
Congrats! I find it fascinating that the pic (the animal, vegetation, etc.) could have been taken in the US and look exactly the same. Not being a world traveler, I assume the flora and fauna will be "exotic" in the far reaches of the globe.

Had the same thought.

Grats to Mark!
Posted By: billa

Re: Mark Hampton's Latest Adventure! - 09/20/2018 3:03 AM

Beautiful animal Mark. Congratulations - SCI #1 handgun????
Posted By: REDHAWK1954

Re: Mark Hampton's Latest Adventure! - 09/20/2018 10:29 AM

Very nice Mark! You have set the bar pretty high for most of us on this site but someone has to do it. Right?
Posted By: 45MAN

Re: Mark Hampton's Latest Adventure! - 09/20/2018 11:05 AM

MARK: U R A LUCKY GUY, CONGRATS.

QUESTION: HAVE YOU BEEN USING RIFLE SCOPES FOR A WHILE ON YOUR SP's? SEEMS TO ME THAT IT IS SOMETHING NEW FOR YOU????

Re: Mark Hampton's Latest Adventure! - 09/20/2018 11:39 AM

Many Thanks for the kind words gents. 45man, I have been using rifle scopes on certain rigs for some time. Handgun scopes are lacking in features and options compared to rifle scopes. I have tried to get optic manufacturers to step up their game with handgun scopes - to no avail. Simply not enough numbers to justify R&D. Cheers
Posted By: cfish2

Re: Mark Hampton's Latest Adventure! - 09/20/2018 1:56 PM

Wow, beautiful animal. When one thinks Mongolia they usually think Gobi desert not western slope of Colorado. Hope to read more about the hunt and over coming language barriers etc. congrats again.
Posted By: bigmike51

Re: Mark Hampton's Latest Adventure! - 09/20/2018 5:54 PM

Congrats, beautiful animal. What caliber rifle is that?
Posted By: 45MAN

Re: Mark Hampton's Latest Adventure! - 09/20/2018 9:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Hampton
Many Thanks for the kind words gents. 45man, I have been using rifle scopes on certain rigs for some time. Handgun scopes are lacking in features and options compared to rifle scopes. I have tried to get optic manufacturers to step up their game with handgun scopes - to no avail. Simply not enough numbers to justify R&D. Cheers

MARK: YEARS AGO AT THE ANNUAL YO HANDGUN HUNT A ZEISS REP WAS THERE WITH A PROTOTYPE PISTOL SCOPE. IT NEVER MADE IT TO MARKET, PROBABLY BECAUSE "JUST NOT ENOUGH NUMBERS". WE ARE LUCKY WE HAVE AS GOOD AS WE HAVE IN HANDGUN SCOPES.
Posted By: tradmark

Re: Mark Hampton's Latest Adventure! - 09/20/2018 9:47 PM

I usually use burris but i think i prefer the leupold. Reticle might be a little thick for the longer distance shooters out there.

Re: Mark Hampton's Latest Adventure! - 09/20/2018 9:58 PM

It's a crying shame Zeiss didn't produce this optic for handguns. Today, the bean counters usually win. Like trademark, I use Burris some but I lean toward the Leupolds.
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: Mark Hampton's Latest Adventure! - 09/21/2018 4:13 AM

Yeah...it could be Colorado!

Great trophy bull, Mark!
Posted By: SChunter

Re: Mark Hampton's Latest Adventure! - 09/21/2018 2:46 PM

Wow! Congratulations Mark on a fantastic bull!

Re: Mark Hampton's Latest Adventure! - 09/21/2018 2:52 PM

Thanks for all the kind words.
Posted By: ruger4570

Re: Mark Hampton's Latest Adventure! - 09/23/2018 8:12 PM

Another fine trophy racked up with one of your handguns. Well done.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums