Handgunhunt

Hunt at Wilderness, PA

Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Hunt at Wilderness, PA - 10/11/2018 1:33 AM

I posted these photos of Rackersmasher and Tracker`s recent hunt and will let them fill in the details.... Good going guys
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Hunt at Wilderness, PA - 10/11/2018 1:52 AM

What were the guns and loads used????
Posted By: ruger4570

Re: Hunt at Wilderness, PA - 10/11/2018 2:41 AM

Look forward to details. Them's some big piggies.
Posted By: 500WE

Re: Hunt at Wilderness, PA - 10/11/2018 11:25 AM

I wonder how that guy is managing to hang there upside down?

Those are a couple of nice big hogs!
Posted By: tradmark

Re: Hunt at Wilderness, PA - 10/11/2018 2:46 PM

Nice hogs. Nice shooting!
Posted By: REDHAWK1954

Re: Hunt at Wilderness, PA - 10/11/2018 4:32 PM

Looks like a lot of fun to me!
Posted By: Randy M

Re: Hunt at Wilderness, PA - 10/11/2018 9:44 PM

Nice! Congrats guys.
Posted By: pab1

Re: Hunt at Wilderness, PA - 10/11/2018 9:56 PM

Impressive boars! I look forward to hearing about the hunt!
Posted By: nytracker

Re: Hunt at Wilderness, PA - 10/11/2018 11:07 PM

Guess I will start. Racksmasher and I drove down to the wilderness last Sunday.This is our 4th year making this trip and each year it just gets better. We spent the evening catching up with old friends . We had a great supper followed by some more conversation and libations. Up bright and early a few cups of coffee and a hardy breakfast it was time to hit the woods. One of our guys wanted to try handgun hunting so I loaned him my 44sbhh. A few test shots at a stump and we were off. After the first few stalks it was evident the animals were very wary and this wasn't going to be easy. Try as we might we.couldnt close the deal for our first time handgun hunter. 1 PM and no blood drawn from our group
After lunch he opted to hunt with his rifle .3 hours of hard hunting we finally had 3 boar down, making me the last one yet to draw blood . I was thinking I might not shoot that day.
5 PM 80 degrees finds me wandering the back edge of the property with my 480 ruger srh . The guide and I crest a knoll in time to see a pretty good group of pigs drop over into the next ravine. With a few years down there I guessed the pigs would make for the higher ground so I took off up the saddle to a spot where two ravines come together hoping to cut them off.
I slowed to a crawl breaking the ridge and started scanning the bench below . No pigs to be seen. I eased down the bench trying to get closer to the edge so I could watch the ravine. Covering half the distance I hear rustling and rocks crunching over the edge . I'm to late. I watch a group of pigs cross the ridge on the far side of the ravine . Leaning against a tree thinking of what to do next and catching my breath I hear more noise in the ravine. With just enough time to plant my feet and get my 480 up on my trigger sticks a small group of pigs broke on my side of the ravine. At 40 yds broadside the lead pig and the biggest froze in place. Looking over all the pigs I put my red dot on the boars neck,cocked the hammer and squeased off my shot. The boar tipped over on it's back,feet in the air rolling off the edge . Never assuming a pig is down I took off to find my boar . Reaching the edge I can hear thrashing in the bottom . Over the edge sliding in the leaves and acorns from tree to tree I make my way to the bottom to find my boar laying in the stream bottom . He had rolled 70 or so feet down. Not good news for the guide. After an hour or so of winching and pulling we had him up to the kubota. So it was a one shot kill 480 ruger srh hunter a cast hollowpoint bullet dropping at 392gr over 12.5 gr of hs6. This was the best trip I had a great time with racksmasher and the others. Looking forward to next year.

Re: Hunt at Wilderness, PA - 10/11/2018 11:26 PM

Congrats nytracker! Great story!
Posted By: junebug

Re: Hunt at Wilderness, PA - 10/11/2018 11:38 PM

Nice going guys.Good friends,Good guns,and a target rich environment. What more could you ask for!
Posted By: Brenden

Re: Hunt at Wilderness, PA - 10/11/2018 11:40 PM

I wouldn't expect any less from you two. Good going.

Re: Hunt at Wilderness, PA - 10/11/2018 11:48 PM

Brenden it was a great trip you need to come up next year.

Re: Hunt at Wilderness, PA - 10/11/2018 11:58 PM

James thanks for posting pictures. As you know your more than welcome to join us .
Posted By: CW3MKC

Re: Hunt at Wilderness, PA - 10/12/2018 12:00 AM

Great story!

Re: Hunt at Wilderness, PA - 10/12/2018 12:01 AM

Thanks. Racksmasher has got the story of the trip.
Posted By: Mark Hampton

Re: Hunt at Wilderness, PA - 10/12/2018 12:18 AM

Well done Gents - Congrats to all!
Posted By: Brenden

Re: Hunt at Wilderness, PA - 10/12/2018 12:59 AM

Originally Posted By: nytracker
Brenden it was a great trip you need to come up next year.

I'll still be poor as a church mouse this time next year. If something happens, like winning the lottery; count me in.

Building this house is costng me a lot of guns and hunts!
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: Hunt at Wilderness, PA - 10/12/2018 1:47 AM

Well... first off,we had a awesome time, and it looks like we Converted 2 rifle hunters to handgun hunters for next years hunt.Monday morning the Boars were really running, if they saw you they were gone, later when it got warm, they would bed in the fallen trees, I would throw rocks at them, to get them up, they would just blow out,we would do pushes to get them moving, things were just not working out, so our guide, CJ, the pig whisperer, put me on a knoll looking down to a bench, said he was going to push the side hill, minutes later I heard pigs on the side hill, 4 boar came out feeding, 3 were shooters, this is where things got interesting, I was shooting my Freedom 83 in 44 Mag, I put the Ulra Dot on the boars neck , which was facing me , 40 yards, squeezing the trigger the boar squeals, spinning around in circles, blood spraying everywhere in, he runs down tho the road , but he?s wobbling, I shoot again, he runs back up the bank on a low spot, head down coming right at me, 15 yards, so I pull out the 629 and go to town, hitting the boar a few times in the head, 1 body shot, when he turned broadside, finally he?s down.in the Freedom I shoot 25 grains of 296, the 629 I was using 7 grains of Tite group, with a 240 SWC,the Falow hunt was fun, it took half a hour to get a clear shot, the Max came through again, another great hunt at the wilderness, next year will be awesome as always, good friends, a good hunt, life is good, thanks James for posing pics.

Re: Hunt at Wilderness, PA - 10/12/2018 2:15 AM

Great shooting racksmasher1!
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Hunt at Wilderness, PA - 10/12/2018 2:20 AM

Looks like a memorable trip!
Posted By: KRal

Re: Hunt at Wilderness, PA - 10/12/2018 2:23 AM

Congrats, gentlemen! Sounds like a fun time and everyone got some good grilling material!
Posted By: billa

Re: Hunt at Wilderness, PA - 10/21/2018 3:02 AM

Sounds like a great hunt guys. Nice hunt and great animals. My son and I had a great time last year at The Wilderness. We hope to get back there soon. Possibly this winter. It?s a great place.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums