Handgunhunt

2018 Colorado elk hunt

Posted By: cmnash

2018 Colorado elk hunt - 10/21/2018 2:28 PM

I have just returned from my long planned, highly anticipated, and ultimately successful hunt for my first bull elk.

Fellow member Darrell H and I traveled from Georgia to Colorado to hunt the first rifle season on a private ranch we purchashed rights to hunt on through an outfitter. We drove, camped, hunted, and recovered DIY. Although we both drew either sex tags, my goal was simple and straightforward; I was shooting the first legal bull I had an opportunity on.

We arrived the day before the season opened and set up camp.

This tent would be my home for the duration of the elk hunt.

There were a total of 7 hunters on the ranch including us and 5 rifle hunters we met at the safety briefing and orientation on the ranch. After the brief tour, the hunters discussed among themselves where they would hunt in the morning. Some of the other hunters were returning to the ranch again after hunting it in the past. The rifle hunters were quite certain where the elk were gonna be, and which areas they would hunt. Darrell and I were the new guys and felt like we got last pick. Nevertheless, we made plans for opening morning.

This is the view of the ranch from camp. It is some big country for a handgun hunter from the hills of Georgia. We glassed from camp in the evening, and spotted elk at last light.

My plan for opening morning was to climb to a power line that crossed a ridge visible from camp. This would give an excellent view of the valley below. I hoped to glass elk and make a play. As shooting light came, I glassed my first legal elk. Two bulls stood on the bank of a water hole in the valley 5-600 yards below me. For thirty minutes I watched, but could make no move, as the wind direction was from our ranch to the bulls. I feared a stalk would drive them off the ranch. Content to be patient, I watched and waited.

Then I heard a bull bugle softly on the same ridge I was on. I grabbed my pack and moved toward him. A cow elk emerged from the scrub oaks, so I froze in position. The bull was following her closely...but the wind was wrong and he disappeared as quickly as he cleared the brush. I felt that was that but I quickly cut the distance between us and made two cow calls. A cow responded and gave away her location. They had not retreated, but moved to the side of the ridge. There, they were not directly downwind of me. I dropped to prone and positioned my Contender on my daypack. Another cow call by me, and the bull climbed the ridge seeking me.
He cleared the scrub oak and was completely visible, as he walked straight toward me. I just knew he would wind me and whirl to safety without giving me a shot. Unable to find me he turned to rejoin his cow, giving me the broadside shot I needed.

All the practice this summer on elk targets paid off. The crosshires fell into place, and the 35 roared. I was rewarded with a most satisfying meat report. BOOM-WWHHOPP! The bull was hit hard, but walked 20 yards straight away. A second 200 grain FTX was sent. WWHOPP! Another solid hit. The bull walked another 20 yards and went down in a patch of oaks. I could just see antlers, but they stopped moving.

After a couple of minutes, I approached the downed bull. His head was still rolling, and he was gargling, drowning in his lungs. A third bullet was dispensed, sealing the deal.

Re: 2018 Colorado elk hunt - 10/21/2018 2:49 PM

When I shot the bull, I was comfortable he was in range. I would have sworn he was no more than 130 yards away. After the fact, I ranged the first shot at 159 yards. The second shot was 20 yards further.
The first shot was placed as intended. It struck the shoulder, pentrated both lungs, and cut the arteries on the top of the heart. The second shot was not so precise. It struck the ham and raked forward into the stomach. The third shot, delivered at 10 yards, struck both shoulders. It absolutely destroyed the bone on the offside, and was immediately effective.
None of the bullets exited, but only the third was recovered. The first was lodged where the ribs meet the bone of the brisket, and the second was lost in the stomach.

I was able to get my ATV to within 200 yards of the elk. I deboned him where he laid. I was back in camp with an elk rack and cooler full of elk meat by 2:30 opening day.

I want to thank Darrell for inviting me to join him, taking my picture, and helping pack my elk meat to the ATV.
Posted By: Midwesthunter11

Re: 2018 Colorado elk hunt - 10/21/2018 2:49 PM

Congrats on your bull !! Great story from practice to harvest 😀
Posted By: magman

Re: 2018 Colorado elk hunt - 10/21/2018 2:57 PM

Congrats!!! You just completed my dream hunt.
Posted By: Hendog

Re: 2018 Colorado elk hunt - 10/21/2018 3:22 PM

Nice Bull & story. I just got a 35 Rem T/C barrel. I also plan on using Hornady FTX factory load. Looks like it worked.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: 2018 Colorado elk hunt - 10/21/2018 3:52 PM

Congratulations on one heck of a hunt! Great bull!
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: 2018 Colorado elk hunt - 10/21/2018 4:34 PM

Matty, A spectacular elk hunt with your handgun... Your bull has plenty of character.....My sincere congratulations....

PS- from the start, with your pre-season practice, to the second you squeezed the trigger, has all paid off.
Posted By: cherokeetracker

Re: 2018 Colorado elk hunt - 10/21/2018 5:05 PM

Congratulations. Good shooting and great team work.
Posted By: OFFSHORE

Re: 2018 Colorado elk hunt - 10/21/2018 7:02 PM

+6 Congrats!!!

This is a trip I would like to do. . .a private land DIY hunt with just a couple hunters on the property and in camp.
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: 2018 Colorado elk hunt - 10/21/2018 7:40 PM

Congratulations on your first bull elk. Great recap on the hunt and good shooting!
Posted By: Mark Hampton

Re: 2018 Colorado elk hunt - 10/21/2018 8:47 PM

Big Congrats! Well done on a real nice bull -- great job!
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: 2018 Colorado elk hunt - 10/21/2018 10:07 PM

WTG Matt, 35!
Posted By: wvhitman

Re: 2018 Colorado elk hunt - 10/21/2018 10:16 PM

Good story. Good hunt. DIY is a lot of work in more ways than one.
Posted By: Franchise

Re: 2018 Colorado elk hunt - 10/21/2018 10:28 PM

Congratulations Matthew! You took a really nice elk bull and you shot, like I knew that you would, lights out!! WTG Buddy

Re: 2018 Colorado elk hunt - 10/21/2018 11:49 PM

Thanks everyone! This was an absolutely fantastic hunt...that didn't stop with a dead elk. There is more to come in another thread.
Posted By: WiseGuy

Re: 2018 Colorado elk hunt - 10/22/2018 12:16 AM

Awesome job on a nice bull! Great write up
Posted By: Randy M

Re: 2018 Colorado elk hunt - 10/22/2018 12:40 AM

Absolutely outstanding! Congrats on a heckuvan adventure and kill.
Posted By: PsTaN

Re: 2018 Colorado elk hunt - 10/22/2018 12:51 AM

Very cool ... Congrats!
Posted By: sw282

Re: 2018 Colorado elk hunt - 10/22/2018 4:59 AM

Lots of hard work brought GEAT reward. l hope to see that rack

in a SPECIAL place one day.. CONGRATULATIONS my friend...

Posted By: dhom

Re: 2018 Colorado elk hunt - 10/22/2018 9:43 AM

Congrats on the bull, looking forward to the rest of the story!
Posted By: REDHAWK1954

Re: 2018 Colorado elk hunt - 10/22/2018 10:31 AM

Great story and better shooting!
Posted By: SChunter

Re: 2018 Colorado elk hunt - 10/22/2018 11:47 AM

Congratulations Matthew!! Great job from start to finish!
Posted By: Brenden

Re: 2018 Colorado elk hunt - 10/22/2018 3:14 PM

Way to go Matthew! Beautiful bull to top it off.
Posted By: junebug

Re: 2018 Colorado elk hunt - 10/23/2018 2:13 AM

Way to go Matt! Practice and perseverance pay off again! Nice elk and looking forward to the rest of the story.
Posted By: pab1

Re: 2018 Colorado elk hunt - 10/23/2018 3:44 AM

Congrats! Really enjoyed the story!
Posted By: KRal

Re: 2018 Colorado elk hunt - 10/23/2018 7:22 PM

Congrats, Matt! Well played on an awesome trophy!
Posted By: jmoore429

Re: 2018 Colorado elk hunt - 10/24/2018 8:25 AM

Yet another congratulation, this one from a fellow Georgian! Interesting to note that you took your elk at just short of the maximum distance at your practice range.

Thanks again for sharing both an opportunity to shoot at your place and for an excellent recounting of your hunt!
Posted By: ruger4570

Re: 2018 Colorado elk hunt - 10/24/2018 11:56 AM

Congrats on a great hunt, great pictures and great story and great trophy. Well done.

Re: 2018 Colorado elk hunt - 10/24/2018 4:18 PM

Originally Posted By: jmoore429
Interesting to note that you took your elk at just short of the maximum distance at your practice range.

It is very interesting how much my shot on a live elk mirrored my practice sessions. I was surprised by how much I underestimated the distance to the elk. I thought my use of lifesize and scale targets had me better prepared. Nonetheless, my practice on elk targets gave the complete confidence to deliver the fatal shot at is what is likely my setup's maximum range.

Thank you again for all the kind words.
Posted By: wheelguns

Re: 2018 Colorado elk hunt - 10/24/2018 9:58 PM

Congratulations, it's great when everything comes together on a hunt. Enjoyed the recap of your hunt.
Posted By: BBwheelgunner

Re: 2018 Colorado elk hunt - 10/27/2018 6:50 PM

sounds (and looks) like a fun hunt! congrats on your bull! you have some great eating for the next year!
Posted By: Bob Roach

Re: 2018 Colorado elk hunt - 11/02/2018 12:34 AM

Great Story. All of your practice payed off big time.
I have been wondering how the FTX bullets would perform in my 35 Bullberry. Looks like they should work fine from your results.

Bob R
Posted By: Deerhunter243

Re: 2018 Colorado elk hunt - 11/10/2018 3:00 PM

That?s a great bull and awesome story
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums