Handgunhunt

Five For Five Video Added

Posted By: sixshot

Five For Five Video Added - 11/07/2018 5:39 PM

After taking 4 different animals with 4 different guns back in August & September I had plans to take a Montana white tail with one of the same guns but using a different bullet. I really wanted to use a new 41 magnum 212 gr HP since I hadn't taken anything with this bullet. Last Monday me, my oldest son & his 2 youngest son's made the trip north where we bought doe tags over the counter for $75 each.
In all the years I've hunted Montana I've never been skunked but we ended up hunting on a ranch that had more rules than an IDPA match & we did get skunked. I was really disappointed with the way the ranch "manager was running the place since the owner had recently died.
Be there at noon, sign a whole bunch of papers, a bunch! Be back at 2:30 & get in a tree stand, no walking allowed, no shooting on the way in or on the way out. Stay in the tree stand until dark, no exceptions, no lead or jacketed bullets, solid copper only. No shooting of yearlings or button bucks. Make a one shot kill as much as possible, duh! I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Anyway, we saw ONE buck, no doe's & then had to go back & sign out in order to get out.
Yesterday I went back by myself & for sure I went to another place that my friend Alejandro knew about. I had my 41 magnum stoked with the powder coated 212 gr HP's & the place looked really good. As usual I also had my scoped 10.5" 357 Maximum in my Barranti NWH rig. The Maximum was loaded with a Miha 185 gr powder coated HP loaded on the toasty side, just the way Fermin likes them.
I can tell you right up front, the water in Montana is cold! We had to wade 2 different streams, twice, coming & going. That's not fun in November. Anyway the ranch was covered with pastures, big Cottonwood trees, brush, tall grass, etc. Ideal country for white tails. I got set up with my back to a big Cottonwood & watched a big 5X5 buck slip through the heavy brush with a smaller buck just behind him. Alejandro had spooked them & they were slipping away. It would have been a pretty easy shot.
He saw 5 more bucks but no doe's so we moved north 1/2 mile into some heavy brush & more Cottonwoods & spotted a large doe just about to walk into the timber we were in. We crouched down & I quickly set up my shooting rest. The doe caught our movement & I had to go for the 357 Maximum, she had went full alert. She bobbed her head up & down maybe 3 times trying to make out what we were, things were happening fast. I really wanted to use the 41 magnum but didn't think I had time to make the shot, it looked long.
I didn't know it at the time but Alejandro was videoing me as I broke the shot. The doe was facing us straight on, no time to range it until later. I held dead center & in the photo's you'll see that's exactly where it hit. The 185 HP knocked her flat, she got up for about 1 second & then back down. I ranged the big Cottonwood just in front of her later, it read 114 yds so she was about 117 yds give or take. I'll try & get the video posted tomorrow. Five animals with 5 shots with 5 different revolvers, nothing like hunting with six guns.

Dick
Posted By: KRal

Re: Five For Five - 11/07/2018 5:59 PM

Well done - again, Dick! Congrats!
Posted By: Ernie

Re: Five For Five - 11/07/2018 6:19 PM

Excellent work Dick!
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Five For Five - 11/07/2018 6:20 PM

You've just been slayin em with those sixguns!
Posted By: Randy M

Re: Five For Five - 11/07/2018 6:23 PM

Outstanding! Congrats on a great season.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Five For Five - 11/07/2018 6:32 PM

Dick, You "old hound dog" just don`t give up....Don`t stop now,,,
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Five For Five - 11/07/2018 8:00 PM

Dick, I would expect nothing less from you! Nice work as always!
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: Five For Five - 11/07/2018 8:36 PM

Another good job, Dick!
Posted By: 45MAN

Re: Five For Five - 11/07/2018 9:09 PM

DICK: WTG!
Posted By: Russell

Re: Five For Five - 11/07/2018 9:56 PM

That's staying focused! Congratulations, Dick.
Posted By: wheelguns

Re: Five For Five - 11/07/2018 10:09 PM

Congratulations on a very successful season Dick. Thanks for sharing, always enjoy hearing about your hunts.
Posted By: wvhitman

Re: Five For Five - 11/07/2018 10:48 PM

Can I call you 5 Shot!! Show them youngin's something.
Posted By: PsTaN

Re: Five For Five - 11/08/2018 1:00 AM

Bang ... Flop.

Very nice!!
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: Five For Five - 11/08/2018 1:03 AM

Good shooting Dick!
Posted By: cherokeetracker

Re: Five For Five - 11/08/2018 1:26 AM

That was great shooting and a good story. Can't wait for the Video.
Tenderloins and Dutch Oven taters?

Charles
Posted By: cmnash

Re: Five For Five - 11/08/2018 1:33 AM

That is some good sixgun shooting!

Re: Five For Five - 11/08/2018 2:11 AM

Thanks guys, I'll try to get the video up as soon as I figure it out. I have it on my phone now on whatsapp but still don't have the secret to getting it onto the forums & I'm really busy the next few days. Doing 4 pork butts, 3 large dutch ovens full of Idaho taters & 12 dozen Cinnamon Rolls for some friends wedding for their daughter. I'll be busy! Still have a deer tag, an antelope tag & a cow elk tag.

Dick
Posted By: Okie Hunter

Re: Five For Five - 11/08/2018 2:39 AM

Congrats and good luck.

Re: Five For Five - 11/09/2018 3:52 AM

The scope is a 2.5X8 Leupold & the rest is a Bog Pod with the discontinued PSR rest on top, they are amazing rests. If you look close you will notice a little flat, black bag on top, my wife makes those for me & I have several. I rest my hands on these & can raise or lower the cross hairs with great precision by squeezing the bag with the bottom of my left hand.
The photo's show the video of my deer, the video is zoomed in but there was a very narrow window to shoot through. She goes down hard, comes up for about one second & then back down for good. You will notice from the angle that although I hit her dead center she isn't standing square so the shot angles towards the right shoulder. I hit some bone going through the brisket, get one lung & the bullet lodges up against the third rib. The recovered bullet weighs 124 grs, I couldn't be more happy with how the HP worked.
My buddy shot his deer that after noon with a 280 Ackley with a broadside hit, she ran 60-70 yds before she went down, go figure. You can see the damage to the brisket on the right side & the shank is almost completely intact, including the gas check. It expanded from .380"-.406".

[img]https://i.imgur.com/p5ZU9Loh.mp4[/img]

Dick
Posted By: tradmark

Re: Five For Five - 11/09/2018 4:48 AM

Nicely done, great shooting and a nice season so far!! That doe will eat nicely!!
Posted By: KRal

Re: Five For Five Video Added - 11/09/2018 11:48 PM

I don't think Dick's video posted correctly, so I'm attempting it for him...

357 max whitetail
Posted By: Midwesthunter11

Re: Five For Five - 11/10/2018 6:53 PM

Nice congrats !
Posted By: tradmark

Re: Five For Five - 11/11/2018 5:49 AM

Thats awesome. Thanks for sharing that video!!
Posted By: cherokeetracker

Re: Five For Five - 11/11/2018 12:55 PM

Cool Video WTG dick and special thanks to KRal for help with video.
Posted By: SChunter

Re: Five For Five - 11/16/2018 7:57 PM

Meathammer!!

Nice work DT!
Posted By: reflex264

Re: Five For Five - 11/17/2018 4:15 PM

Awesome job!!!!!!
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums