Handgunhunt

Handgun Squirrels- 22 ammo suggestions

Posted By: BKS

Handgun Squirrels- 22 ammo suggestions - 11/19/2018 2:18 PM

I have several 22 handguns I am going to try to use on the hundred of squirrels that I am feeding with my deer feeders.🤪🤪🤪 A 6? S&W 617 and a Ruger MKIV suppressed will be my main two though. I know I should shoot for accuracy but wasn?t sure if I should use high velocity HP or what?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Posted By: JDK

Re: Handgun Squirrels- 22 ammo suggestions - 11/19/2018 2:32 PM

Corn fed squirrel sounds mighty tasty
my experience with squirrel hunting has been mainly using pellet guns, so any .22lr should be fine. Maybe standard solids would make less of a mess for later.
Posted By: longhunter

Re: Handgun Squirrels- 22 ammo suggestions - 11/19/2018 5:31 PM

I use Federal Match 40gr in all my .22 revolvers, 4", 6" and 8" barrels. Very accurate and deadly on squirrels.
Posted By: Festus

Re: Handgun Squirrels- 22 ammo suggestions - 11/19/2018 7:41 PM

solid point if eating

In revolvers Ive filed the point flat
Posted By: cherokeetracker

Re: Handgun Squirrels- 22 ammo suggestions - 11/19/2018 7:50 PM

The solid point is great but if you buy a tool from Gary Reeder or Paco Kelly that cuts the round point off, and makes it a flat point, then you have a 22 round that is more accurate than standard fodder.
Each gun is different and some like the high velocity better and shoot them more accurate. If you can use the Standard velocity then it is better. But go with what the gun likes. You do have to hit them first. haa
Posted By: Sawfish

Re: Handgun Squirrels- 22 ammo suggestions - 11/19/2018 8:02 PM

Standard velocity target ammo is perfect. Winchester T-22 is perfect. Does not tear up the animal. Ideally, throw away the head and throw away the lead.
Posted By: wvhitman

Re: Handgun Squirrels- 22 ammo suggestions - 11/20/2018 1:13 AM

My only squirrel load the last 5 years is CCI subsonic segmented HP. Very accurate. Makes a unique POP! when the squirrel is hit so you don't have to wonder if you connected.
I use it in my MKIII suppressed. Have done shots out to 75 yds. A deadly combination.

Re: Handgun Squirrels- 22 ammo suggestions - 11/20/2018 2:22 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies.

wvhitman I picked some of that up today. I haven?t shot it but the regular CCI SS HP is shooting great out of my 617 and Ruger MKIV

Cherokee Tracker. I?ve considered the Paco nipper tool in the past and didn?t know Reeder made one till today. Thanks for the recommendation.
Posted By: jcp161

Re: Handgun Squirrels- 22 ammo suggestions - 11/23/2018 1:57 PM

I use CCI Mini Mag HP and Remington Gold out of my 10 inch Contender and 617. Both are accurate and work well for me.

John
Posted By: 500WE

Re: Handgun Squirrels- 22 ammo suggestions - 11/23/2018 2:28 PM

In handguns, I use WW 37 or 36 gr. hollowpoints, which have generallybeen most accurate in my hunting handguns. When I used rifles, I generally used Fed. Hi Power or Fed Lightning 40 gr. RNL
Posted By: MS Hitman

Re: Handgun Squirrels- 22 ammo suggestions - 12/01/2018 2:19 PM

I shoot the CCI Standard Velocity round which are advertised at 1,070 fps. These are subsonic and most quiet through a Kestrel suppressor. I have filed the noses flat, but this does not seem to be necessary for any game I've taken with them.
Posted By: Ron K

Re: Handgun Squirrels- 22 ammo suggestions - 12/08/2018 4:27 AM

I've had great results in my 22 pistols using Eley subsonic HP's. Accuracy is the best I've tried and they kill well. I recently purchased a few boxes of the Eley HV HP's but have not tried them yet. I have similar rimfire pistols you listed:
S&W 17 K-22 w/ 8 3/8"
Ruger MKII 5.5" - Clark custom conversion
Posted By: wildcatter

Re: Handgun Squirrels- 22 ammo suggestions - 12/08/2018 6:33 AM

Standard velocity Wolf match Target and Match Extra, run through the Neil Waltz die using the EMF flat point stem, expands the bullet for tighter fit, leaves the nose flat with the dimple like Eley TenX, and tightens the grip on the crimped bullet in the case.

Oh ya and in the MKII it shoots one hole groups under 3/8" at 25 yards with either the target or more expensive Extra, and knocks the squirrel free of the tree without tearing up the meat.

Re: Handgun Squirrels- 22 ammo suggestions - 12/22/2018 6:44 PM

Thanks again for the replies. I bought a Waltz die to try, Have shot several with the segmented SS HP from CCi in my Tac Sol rifle and really like it. I shot my first handgun squirrel yesterday with my G2 in 17M2, 10" MGM barrel with a YHM Stinger on it.
Posted By: Duke3026

Re: Handgun Squirrels- 22 ammo suggestions - 12/23/2018 7:33 PM

Originally Posted By: BKS
I bought a Waltz die to try

Great die! 👍 Bought a second one few weeks ago.
Posted By: smirker

Re: Handgun Squirrels- 22 ammo suggestions - 12/31/2018 6:28 PM

My favorite type of hunting! I use Winchester Power Points in S&W Mod. 17 and 34. I use CCI Sub-Sonic Lead HP in my .22 Rifles with a can. I have also use CCI Segmented Sub-Sonics in a Browning Buckmark and S&W Mod.41 with a suppressor. I always try to place the shots behind the shoulder. The CCI Subs and W-W Powerpoints have always been great loads for squirrels. I really like the .17M2, but it is not as good overall as the .22LR in my experiance.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums