Handgunhunt

Galco kodiak hunter holster?

Posted By: Vance in AK.

Galco kodiak hunter holster? - 03/19/2019 6:47 PM

Ok now its holsters...
Alaska hunting is the name of the game. Generally wearing a backpack of some type. Also usually wearing binos in a chest rig. Sometimes thick alders etc.
Scoped mod 29 and probably scoped SBHH. The Galco kodiak hunter a good choice? Better options?
Pros/cons? They say same rig fits both guns.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Galco kodiak hunter holster? - 03/19/2019 6:53 PM

It's a great choice. I love mine and carried it extensively in South Africa last year. It's a very versatile rig.

Re: Galco kodiak hunter holster? - 03/19/2019 7:00 PM

How well does it retain the gun without the retention strap snapped?

Re: Galco kodiak hunter holster? - 03/20/2019 1:28 AM

Well its ordered!

Re: Galco kodiak hunter holster? - 03/20/2019 1:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Vance in AK.

There's spring steel in them and it holds your revolver very well. This holster is a well kept secret!

eager to hear how you like it!

Re: Galco kodiak hunter holster? - 03/20/2019 2:46 PM

Thanks Whit. Thats what i expected but it wasnt mentioned in the description or any reviews. $184 shipped to alaska on amazon! Really like the idea that the SBHH or mod 29 will both fit.
Posted By: tradmark

Re: Galco kodiak hunter holster? - 03/21/2019 5:57 PM

My sons used one with his xvr 460 in africa in 2013. I now own several. Fantastic holster and hold your gun with or without optica so something like a super redhawk can be carried efficiently no matter how you change the sighting systems.
Posted By: tradmark

Re: Galco kodiak hunter holster? - 03/21/2019 5:58 PM

It needs that snapped to retain the revolver.

Re: Galco kodiak hunter holster? - 03/21/2019 6:02 PM

Originally Posted By: tradmark

It needs that snapped to retain the revolver.

But it still cradles the revolver quite tightly. Personally, if it has a strap I use it as I have had a number of occasions where my revolver exited my holster and that is never good, no matter how good the retention.

Re: Galco kodiak hunter holster? - 03/21/2019 9:17 PM

Thanks guys
According to Amazon I should be playing with it no later than next Wednesday!
Posted By: Walkingthemup

Re: Galco kodiak hunter holster? - 03/21/2019 9:40 PM

The photo on the Galco site makes it look like a low riding variant of the chest holster concept. Like you, I generally carry a backpack and have my binos in a chest harness. I've wondered whether the Kodiac would interfere with the binos (I'm knee high to a leprechaun so there isn't a lot of vertical space). Look forward to hearing how you find it in real use.
Posted By: NYhandgunner

Re: Galco kodiak hunter holster? - 03/24/2019 8:37 PM

Two holsters I like for hunting is the bandito rig from pistol packaging, it works very well for my scoped FA 454 and the other is the alaskan guide rig from Double D. I have found both to be comfortable to wear all day.

Re: Galco kodiak hunter holster? - 03/24/2019 11:44 PM

I had the PP Bandito for my mod 29 & then used it for my 480 SRH (Both with Ultradot). It was solid & worked well, but I just never fell in love with it. Couldn't even say why.

Walkingthemup, it should be here Thursday & I hope to get some time in with it by the end of next weekend. I'll let you know what I think.

Re: Galco kodiak hunter holster? - 03/26/2019 12:47 PM

Great, I'd like to hear how it works, although unfortunately I'm lefty so it's not an option for me anyway. Southpaw jinx...
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Galco kodiak hunter holster? - 03/27/2019 3:30 AM

Vance, Carried my 454 while black bear hunting in Idaho. I borrowed Dick Thompson`s 4-wheel machine and bounced around quite a bit and the Galco held firm. Good luck and good huntin..

Re: Galco kodiak hunter holster? - 03/28/2019 4:20 AM

Thanks James & all! Did you get a bear that trip James?
The holster came today & I like how it rides & fits the gun.
1 complaint so far, & someone else already mentioned it. The retention strap. Snap is LOUD! And after you pop the snap loose it klinks on every piece of the gun as you draw. I think I wipp put a thong on in it's place. Should be simple.
I will get pics when I can get them hosted somewhere.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Galco kodiak hunter holster? - 03/28/2019 6:01 PM

No Vance? A big honey color bear popped up but did not get the gun out fast enough....

Re: Galco kodiak hunter holster? - 04/10/2019 12:34 AM

Walkingthemup, i am having a hard time posting pics but the holster works great with my kifaru pack and my bino harness. No interference what so ever.
My Pistol packaging bandaleros were nice but i will take this over them from every aspect any day!!!
Posted By: Jeff460

Re: Galco kodiak hunter holster? - 04/10/2019 1:52 PM

I had trouble posting too but I found a way. The site tiny pics.com can be searched. Once found, if your picture is saved to your computer you can access the file and it will be uploaded to tiny pics.com. Once there, you hit the upload tab. It may go to a box that you must put a word or phrase in that they give you. But after that, it will fashion links for several different applications. I copy the one for forums and websites and use it for posting on here. You might have to compress it or edit it somewhat on your computer if you do not like the result that is posted using the file as is. I played with that for a while too. Hope this helps you post your pictures.

Re: Galco kodiak hunter holster? - 04/10/2019 2:34 PM

Here's mine, housing my .454 BFR.

Re: Galco kodiak hunter holster? - 04/24/2019 9:56 PM

Hey Max,
What model Galco is that, on the website the only models manufacturers they have listed are S&W and Ruger. I contacted them and they told me they couldn't make it for a BFR?
Nice looking rig though!

Re: Galco kodiak hunter holster? - 04/24/2019 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: NYhandgunner
Hey Max,
What model Galco is that, on the website the only models manufacturers they have listed are S&W and Ruger. I contacted them and they told me they couldn't make it for a BFR?
Nice looking rig though!

It?s for a single-action Ruger. They are close enough dimensionally.

Re: Galco kodiak hunter holster? - 04/25/2019 4:31 PM

It should fit fine. Very welk built and somehow manages to fit both my 8&3/8 mod 29 and my Suoer blackhawk hunter equally excellently!
You will be happy with it. Got mine through midway

Re: Galco kodiak hunter holster? - 04/29/2019 6:22 PM

Just put the order in, unfortunately I'm cursed with being a lefty and now I feel violated. Didn't get the sale price and had to pay a surcharge for custom...Hope it's worth it.

Re: Galco kodiak hunter holster? - 04/30/2019 2:53 PM

I dont think you will be disappointed!
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums