Handgunhunt

Show me your 10mm handguns

Posted By: Raptortrapper

Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/07/2019 11:50 PM

The topic of 10mm came up in a different thread, and I posted my TRP there, but realised, why not just start a thread on 10mm? 45 Colt is my favorite, but 10mm is right up there. From what I've heard / read, it seems like it is one of those that ya either love it or hate it.

I got this Springfield TRP with a 6" slide because I plan on hunting with it, and running heavy loads with it. Working with 220gr hardcast now, but will probably drop back to 200gr after I shoot up all these 220's. Had to change out the recoil spring to a 24 pound spring. Why it came stock with an 18 pound spring, I'll never know. Once I did this, it was very enjoyable to shoot.

I plan on bear hunting with it next fall, and would love to take a deer with it. We'll see...

Holster is a Milt Sparks and is made from horsehide with shark trim. Had it made with an FBI cant so it can be used for CC as well as open carry. I can't say enough good things about this holster. It's my second one from Milt Sparks for a 1911 platform. Absolutely flawless holsters in my opinion.

What 10mm do you have, and what critters have you taken with it?

Posted By: Randy M

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/08/2019 12:44 AM

I have a Glock G40 and have killed deer, hogs, and a plethora of raccoons with it. Pretty much my bedside gun only now. Great caliber for deer/hogs 100ish pounds and under.
Posted By: Franchise

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/08/2019 12:50 AM

Smart man Randy...great for deer and hogs
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/08/2019 1:20 AM

I have the Remington R-11 Hunter, I shoot the 200 grain Nosler?s and the 200 grain XTP?s with a max charge of 9 grains of Blue Dot, no big 5, just deer and hogs, I haven?t had the opportunity yet.
Posted By: csherrill

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/08/2019 1:45 AM

I have a G20. It?s become my favorite everyday gun. It?s at my bedside, in my car when I go to work, and on my side when I am outdoors. To me Glocks aren?t pretty and don?t stir the mind like a custom sixgun but they just work. It?s dispatched pest and taken deer. Its there for that ?in case? moment I hope never comes. In a Glock the 10mm offers a balance of capacity and power that?s hard to beat.
Posted By: NYhandgunner

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/08/2019 4:31 PM

I have a G20, I put in a Zev trigger and had them do the stippling and remove the finger grooves. I also put in a KKM bbl. with a 20lb recoil spring and had the slide milled out for a Trijicon RMR. When I carry it, it's usually in a Blackhawk Serpa holster or Diamond D's Alaskan Guide rig. Loads I use, Underwoods 200 gr XTP, and also a handload 12.4 gr. AA#9 under a 200gr. JHP. While it doesn't look as good as my single actions...it does have a good round count and it's light. I'd include a picture but I'm new and haven't figured it out yet. I haven't shot anything but paper and steel up till now. The Springfield TRP looks awesome! They also have that now ready to go with optics. And with my aging eyes, I'm definitely leaning more and more towards optics.

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/08/2019 4:40 PM

Welcome to the forum. I have never been a fan of optics on a 1911. Went with the adjustable night sights, and they work well for me.

I almost tried a Glock as a couple buddies have them and like them. But as soon as I found out Springfield had finally come out with their 10mm, my decision was made. They said it took them so long cause they couldn't get a steel that wouldn't stretch after thousands of rounds with the 10mm pressures. They didn't just take a .45 TRP frame and fit it to the 10mm mag and barrel. The entire gun was designed around the 10mm, except for that ridiculously weak 18# recoil spring. Still not sure why they did that, but the rest of the gun is awesome.

I've been glad I waited!!
Posted By: magman

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/08/2019 4:57 PM

Mine is a very simple GP100 converted by Clements. Waiting for the 610 4 inch to ship.
Posted By: Mark Hampton

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/08/2019 6:39 PM

Got a Glock 40 with DeltaPoint Pro. Gun has been modified with grip reduction and other embellishments. Just received the reintroduced S&W 610. Mounted an UltraDot L/T and I really like this revolver. Shoots good and I don't have to chase brass all over the range.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/08/2019 6:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Franchise
Smart man Randy...great for deer and hogs

For you, David!

Not one...

But two!

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/08/2019 6:58 PM

Hahaha bahahaha & if anybody believes he really killed them without double rifle guide help, I'll sell you some ocean front property in Arizona...he sold a lot of CZ 10mm's to the flock of sheep though...people are really gullible
Posted By: tradmark

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/08/2019 7:05 PM

Well they went down but it wasnt quick and it was from anything resembling one or two shots.

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/08/2019 7:06 PM

I just read too many articles back years ago in The Sixgunner, where...he was using a Glock 10mm, and he had to shoot everything multiple times and he could even get pass throughs on Spanish Goats with his 10mm
Posted By: Jeff460

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/08/2019 7:13 PM

Bullet placement and bullet performance is where it is at. If you can load it right a 10 mm will kill. It does not mean it will stop a charge, but hitting the central-nervous system with proper penetrative damage can be deadly.

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/08/2019 7:17 PM

I just read too many articles back years ago in The Sixgunner, where...he was using a Glock 10mm, and he had to shoot everything multiple times and he could even get pass throughs on Spanish Goats with his 10mm

I will tell you with certainty, that no PH wants you to shoot once (even when rifle hunting). That said, if you need 15, you have a real problem!

Here's one of my 10mm kills.

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/08/2019 7:29 PM

EXACTLY! You know how it went down
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/09/2019 1:01 AM

I bet you ol Razor dropped a few mags on those animals.

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/09/2019 1:13 AM

I wondered what the stories were behind the two cape buffaloes. Either a death wish, or a joke. Had to be one of the two.

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/09/2019 1:19 AM

Here's the story....don't believe everything you see on TV...editing is amazing....and the number of shots was in the double digits.....if it seems to good to be true, it is. A Cape Buff is hard to put down, and no matter what you're told....the 10mm auto doesn't equal a 41 Mag

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/09/2019 1:30 AM

I don't have a TV. Haven't had one in 5+ years. Don't miss it at all. No, it's not a 41 Mag, which is exactly why I got the 10mm. I have no use for a 41 Mag. They aren't my cup of coffee. For me, I prefer the 22lr, 10mm, 45 Colt, and 500JRH. Those fill my needs quite nicely. I'm thinking about doing a revolver in 10mm, which is kinda why I started this thread. Figured a few of them would show up sooner or later. For now, this TRP in 10mm is a lot of fun!

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/09/2019 3:28 AM

Here's the story....don't believe everything you see on TV...editing is amazing....and the number of shots was in the double digits.....if it seems to good to be true, it is. A Cape Buff is hard to put down, and no matter what you're told....the 10mm auto doesn't equal a 41 Mag

I use to work for a nationally syndicated hunting/fishing show. Some of you probably know the guy if I said his name. Franchise is spot on about editing. If you could see a hunting show go from raw footage to final product, you'd never believe anything you ever saw on a hunting show again. Completely (with a few exceptions), turned me off of that industry. The stories I could tell...mercy...
Posted By: sw282

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/09/2019 6:53 AM

l would like to see Ruger make a SBHHunter in 10mm/40S&W

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/09/2019 7:13 AM

If I build one, it will be on the super blackhawk frame for sure. That's the only frame I'll use on any build.
Posted By: 45MAN

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/09/2019 11:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Raptortrapper
For me, I prefer the 22lr, 10mm, 45 Colt, and 500JRH. Those fill my needs quite nicely.

YEP, YOU GOT THE BASES COVERED.

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/09/2019 1:10 PM

Gotta go along with you, I hate chasing brass!
Posted By: Midwesthunter11

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/09/2019 2:36 PM

I have both a glock 40 and blackhawk in 10mm. I love them both. They are a blast to shoot plus the blackhawk has a 40 s&w cylinder for extra fun. Someone on here said be careful with 10 mm to me once.So tru I have had 3 lol since then!
Posted By: Midwesthunter11

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/09/2019 2:42 PM

Side note though I don't believe we will see a 10 mm only bovine bash anytime soon lol. At least not without max hiding behind something with his trusted 500 jrh lol. Just a fun round to shoot anyway. but it would be interesting to see its tru maximum animal takedown limit?

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/09/2019 2:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Midwesthunter11
Side note though I don't believe we will see a 10 mm only bovine bash anytime soon lol. At least not without max hiding behind something with his trusted 500 jrh lol. Just a fun round to shoot anyway. but it would be interesting to see its tru maximum animal takedown limit?

Hahahaha! It all boils down to the bullet. If you could load a monolithic solid in your 10mm, it should exhibit enough penetration to get just about any animal done. Granted, not my first choice, nor second.....nor third, fourth, or fifth for that matter, but the 10mm has been used to SUCCESSFULLY take a number of Cape buffalo. Proof is in the pudding, but I myself will always opt for a bigger - much bigger - hammer. I certainly wouldn't want to face a charge with one...
Posted By: adbhowler

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/09/2019 4:15 PM

Not trying to highjack this thread but you folks got me thinking. Now that you can get a 10mm revolver, how hot can you load the 10mm from a "supported" cylinder as apposed to an semi-auto platform? Can you get enough oomph to make it a reasonable big game hunting round like the 44mag etc? Just wondering out load.

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/09/2019 4:39 PM

There is a 10mm Magnum...not the 10mm automatic...very few guns chambered in that round

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/09/2019 4:43 PM

Man this is pushing me hard towards a 10mm in a Ruger SBH. I like heavy loads. Right now I'm pushing a 220 hc from Rimrock just shy of 1250fps out of my TRP. I bet a SBH with a 5 shot cylinder would be a riot. Wonder what the optimal barrel length would be.

HEY JAAAAAACK.....
Posted By: lonerider

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/09/2019 5:06 PM

I have a 10mm mag in a 10 inch contender and t does get real close to 41 mag performance.

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/09/2019 5:27 PM

To be fair, a contender is a different animal though. The best 460S&W I had was a TC Pro Hunter. I don't think the 460 can reach it's full potential in a revolver. Honestly, I think it would be better in a lever gun configuration. Someday I'll have one.

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/09/2019 5:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Raptortrapper
To be fair, a contender is a different animal though. The best 460S&W I had was a TC Pro Hunter. I don't think the 460 can reach it's full potential in a revolver. Honestly, I think it would be better in a lever gun configuration. Someday I'll have one.

I'd be surprised if any caliber could reach its full potential in a revolver. But IMO, the 460 in a revolver has got to be at the top in terms of most performance out of a revolver.

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/09/2019 5:43 PM

Yeah, I get what you're saying. I was meaning that the 460 catches another gear when used in a TC setup. All revolver cartridges will. But I REALLY noticed it in my 460. It was an honest 400+ yard gun, easily. Never did get to really spend the time needed to see what that gun could really do, but I learned a lot.

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/09/2019 7:13 PM

The 41 mag gets a boost in the contender as well. I really wouldnt want a 10mm mag in an auto. What I was trying to convey was that a 10mm cartridge could get close to 41 performance. At least close enuff that no animal could tell the difference.

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/09/2019 7:15 PM

Yup. Agreed.

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/09/2019 7:16 PM

I would not mind the 610 in the 10mm mag configuration at all though. That would be an apples to apples comparison to a smith 57...and I really like the 57.

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/09/2019 8:04 PM

Lone rider, you are one of the few that has the Magnum, not the auto...and probably the only guy on here...its a different animal...every round is more potent in a closed breech version..barrel/cylinder gap is not your friend

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/10/2019 1:30 AM

The 10 inch contender points nearly as well as the 57 for me even with the glass on it. I have been shooting contenders for 50 years and I still enjoy them. They have some performance value you can not get in a revolver in the same caliber for sure. Some disadvantages as well like round count. In my years of hunting I have never felt undergunned with them from the stand point of round count but the additional performance has come in handy at times. The 10mm is a very useful chambering and I like it. I have several and have hunted most of them successfully but the contender is one of my favorite hunting guns.

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/10/2019 1:50 AM

I love single shots myself.....I feel rounds can reach their full potential in closed breech single shots...their ballistics are hard to beat....the 10mm is a great deer/hog round, but that's where I think it lies....I'm just not a fan of billing it as the go to gun for larger than deer sized game....the 10mm Magnum is easily superior to the 10mm Auto. I think I'm right, but the 10mm Mag shoots a 200 gr bullet at around 1,650 fps right? The auto....is around 300 - 400 fps slower

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/10/2019 2:31 AM

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/10/2019 8:06 PM

The 10 mm mag is a bit of an odd ball round and as such suffers, along with other such little known cartridges and more than a few wildcats very little verified and pressure tested loading data. And most of that came from the two auto loaders chambered fir the 10 mag. I think a lot of it was pretty optimistic. I never reached 1650 fps with the 200 grain bullets in the 10 inch contender. Maybe it is possible but that was not what I was striving for. We just wanted to see how close we could get to the 41 mag in performance. We picked powders that were compatible with heavy 10mm auto and 41 mag loads and worked from there. I think we may have gotten close with 180 grain but if I remember correctly we stopped at about 1500 with the 200. Neither of the barrels I have had did well with lighter weight bullets. Even the 180 were a bit explosive at those speeds. With a properly throated barrel heavy cast wide flat nose bullets will take anything most hunters will encounter in the lower 48.

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/10/2019 8:17 PM

Cool Round....I think AMT was one of the auto loaders in 10mm Mag
Posted By: Jeff460

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/10/2019 8:39 PM

Any semi-auto round has a weak point and that is you cannot roll crimp the bullet and crimp it down. So extremely powerful loads of dense powder cannot be loaded and made to crimp down. The case head must remain true as the cartridge head-spaces on the cartridge head.
Rimmed cartridges can be roll crimped so powerful loads are no problem.
Posted By: RH Custom Guns

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/10/2019 8:56 PM

Good point, Jeff. Can anyone say 10mm Auto Rim?

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/10/2019 9:46 PM

Originally Posted By: RH Custom Guns
Good point, Jeff. Can anyone say 10mm Auto Rim?

.41 Mag and .41 Special.....

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/11/2019 2:17 PM

Fair enough, Max, although it would be cool to be able to use existing 10mm cylinders and crimp the bullets. Not that the idea is feasible, let alone profitable, just interesting to think about.

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/11/2019 2:21 PM

Originally Posted By: RH Custom Guns
Fair enough, Max, although it would be cool to be able to use existing 10mm cylinders and crimp the bullets. Not that the idea is feasible, let alone profitable, just interesting to think about.

I get it, but often times we don't see the forest for the trees. The fact of the matter is that there really is very little that is truly new!
Posted By: adbhowler

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/11/2019 5:39 PM

I forgot about the 41 Magnum and I have shot a few of them over the years. This would make better sense than to try to make an auto do something it wasn't designed to do. I just get something stuck in my head and as Max said Forest-Trees... LOL Thanks for the refresher course, everyone needs one once in a while.

Good Shooting!

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/11/2019 7:55 PM

When comparing an autoloader in 10mm Mag to a revolver in 41 mag the 41 will win the velocity race in equal length barrels. The 41 also has an advantage in bullet choices. The 41 has more heavy weights. I was comparing these two cartridges in a single shot platform with similar length barrels. The 41 is still slightly faster but not enough to matter in the killing department. The 10mm mag is a neat cartridge and would be better if there were more bullet choices.
Posted By: Ramjet-SS

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/11/2019 8:25 PM

I am 10mm poor.

6 inchTRP
6 inch Remington R1
Reeder Custom 1911 (re-worked RIA)
Ruger GP100 revolver
Colt Delta
G20 Glock
G40 Glock with a 7 inch after market barrel
Springfield XDM 6.25 inch

Encore 18? carbine
Kriss Vector Carbine
HiPoint Carbine

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/11/2019 9:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Whitworth

I get it, but often times we don't see the forest for the trees. The fact of the matter is that there really is very little that is truly new!

That is so true! I can't tell you how many times I've heard or come up with something I thought was cool, only to find out it was done before, or done better by something very similar.
Posted By: Craig44

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/14/2019 4:26 PM

I have a trio of .38-40's, one of which is a 10mm convertible as well as two 10mm's.

Also got one of the new XDM's when they first came out. Greatly prefer these over Glocks.

Re: Show me your 10mm handguns - 04/14/2019 9:06 PM

Taking a stab at posting a picture of my G20...

© 2024 Handgunhunt forums