Handgunhunt

Buffalo Bore's Dangerous Game Ammo

Posted By: Whitworth

Buffalo Bore's Dangerous Game Ammo - 05/02/2019 4:34 PM

Buffalo Bore just added a new line of Dangerous Game ammunition to their already extensive lineup. All DG ammo is loaded with LeHigh Defense's flat-nosed monolithic solids for uncompromising penetration. They are available in .44 Mag, .45 Colt +P, .454 Casull, .460 S&W Mag, .480 Ruger, .475 Linebaugh, .500 JRH, .500 S&W Mag, and .45/70 Gov't (a 10mm load is also in the works). I have had the pleasure of testing most of it and accuracy is outstanding as is expected from Buffalo Bore. Also shot a large bovine (as did tradmark's daughter) with the pre-production .480 load at the last Bovine Bash. This stuff is ideal for bear defense and for hunting large, thick-skinned game where deep penetration is needed.

Here is a link to their site:
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=547

Here are some random photos from my testing.

Posted By: tradmark

Re: Buffalo Bore's Dangerous Game Ammo - 05/02/2019 5:05 PM

Good meplats, tough bullets and great velocities. Whats not to love
Posted By: Jeff460

Re: Buffalo Bore's Dangerous Game Ammo - 05/02/2019 5:45 PM

Well it certainly looks like Buffalo Bore has cornered the market on proven-effective Dangerous Game revolver cartridges. As loaded with these mono-metal flat-nose projectiles, it now becomes the act of bullet placement to maximize killing that is the greatest variable concern.
Posted By: NYhandgunner

Re: Buffalo Bore's Dangerous Game Ammo - 05/03/2019 12:47 AM

Good looking bullets, it's nice to see that the selection for big bore ammo is growing...definitely a good sign. Do you know if they have 500 Linebaugh in the works?
Posted By: BBwheelgunner

Re: Buffalo Bore's Dangerous Game Ammo - 05/03/2019 1:54 AM

way to go buffalo Bore!

Man it seems like there are a lot of good factory offerings out there. Nice to have options!

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: tradmark

Re: Buffalo Bore's Dangerous Game Ammo - 05/03/2019 3:14 AM

Yes the 460 sw 300 grain solids ran 2140fps out if my 7.5? bfr. That would be my elephant load and well really anything.
Posted By: 45MAN

Re: Buffalo Bore's Dangerous Game Ammo - 05/03/2019 11:13 AM

THE MV ATTAINABLE IN A 7.5 INCH BFR 460 WITH 300gr AND 325gr PREMIUM BULLETS HAS TAKEN HUNTING WITH A 45 CALIBER REVOLVER TO A NEW AND HIGHER LEVEL! IF I WAS STARTING OVER ON MY AFRICAN HUNTS IT IS THE REVOLVER I WUD BE USING.

Re: Buffalo Bore's Dangerous Game Ammo - 05/03/2019 2:58 PM

This is a game changer particularly for the person who doesn't reload or doesn't have the time or inclination to work up the loads. In typical Buffalo Bore fashion this stuff is accurate in everything I've tested the loads in.
Posted By: karl

Re: Buffalo Bore's Dangerous Game Ammo - 05/03/2019 3:05 PM

Not something you want to burn through cases of at the range ($$$) but they should do the job. I've always been very happy with any of the BB products I purchased. They even came out with a Spitzer 45-70 load recently (even though as a short barrel shooter I think they used the wrong bullet) for single shots.
Posted By: NYhandgunner

Re: Buffalo Bore's Dangerous Game Ammo - 05/03/2019 7:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Whitworth
This is a game changer particularly for the person who doesn't reload or doesn't have the time or inclination to work up the loads. In typical Buffalo Bore fashion this stuff is accurate in everything I've tested the loads in.

I don't mind reloading and working up loads but it's very cool to be able to pick up and try some factory loads...More options, more better!

Re: Buffalo Bore's Dangerous Game Ammo - 05/05/2019 4:07 PM

Originally Posted By: NYhandgunner
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth

I don't mind reloading and working up loads but it's very cool to be able to pick up and try some factory loads...More options, more better!

I agree! It?s nice to know there is a purpose-built load available for Dangerous Game.
Posted By: sixshot

Re: Buffalo Bore's Dangerous Game Ammo - 05/05/2019 4:46 PM

We do live in the golden age of handgun ammo & that is some serious looking stuff! As far as cost goes it really not as bad as you think. Just shoot enough until you're dialed in then practice with a similar load for recoil management, etc. so you stay tuned up, much like Rey is doing for his upcoming bear hunt & you'll be on top of your game when the chips are down.
When you're actually hunting you can only hope to shoot a bunch of them on a good hunt.
Another thing you can do when testing new ammo if you want to see bullet results & you're limited on shooting distance is, figure what your velocity is going to be at 100 yds then download your ammo to that velocity & shoot it at 25 yds & check your results & see how your new bullets perform. Sometimes it's an eye opener.

Dick

Re: Buffalo Bore's Dangerous Game Ammo - 05/05/2019 9:00 PM

Originally Posted By: sixshot
We do live in the golden age of handgun ammo & that is some serious looking stuff! As far as cost goes it really not as bad as you think. Just shoot enough until you're dialed in then practice with a similar load for recoil management, etc. so you stay tuned up, much like Rey is doing for his upcoming bear hunt & you'll be on top of your game when the chips are down.
When you're actually hunting you can only hope to shoot a bunch of them on a good hunt.
Another thing you can do when testing new ammo if you want to see bullet results & you're limited on shooting distance is, figure what your velocity is going to be at 100 yds then download your ammo to that velocity & shoot it at 25 yds & check your results & see how your new bullets perform. Sometimes it's an eye opener.

Dick

You are so right, Dick!
Posted By: Craig44

Re: Buffalo Bore's Dangerous Game Ammo - 05/06/2019 5:08 PM

It's not difficult to find a lower cost option for practice. I found that a 310gr WFN shoots to the same POI as the factory 300gr Punch loads. At about $4 a shot, I don't want to send many Punch bullets into the dirt. At least the Lehigh's are available as components and that cuts the cost, though I'm having a hard time matching Sundles' velocity.

Good to see the .500's finally made it Lehigh's site.
Posted By: Bigbrowndog

Re: Buffalo Bore's Dangerous Game Ammo - 05/08/2019 12:59 AM

Pity they don?t offer 500L....

Trapr

Re: Buffalo Bore's Dangerous Game Ammo - 05/08/2019 1:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Bigbrowndog
Pity they don?t offer 500L....

Trapr

Hi Trapr!

It?s such a low volume seller, they decided not to bring one out. But all is not lost as there?s a .500 JRH load.
Posted By: Jeff460

Re: Buffalo Bore's Dangerous Game Ammo - 05/08/2019 1:11 PM

The free-market demands regular consumption of what it offers, as risk of over-extension of financial resources is always an issue. And I have the same problem myself. Grrrrrrrrrrr...
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums