Handgunhunt

A pistol for BIG bear country.......

Posted By: JRMoore

A pistol for BIG bear country....... - 12/22/2005 1:49 PM

I'm headed again to Alaska and planning to do some fishing in '06 and am looking at the Ruger Alaskan pistol in .480 or the 454 Casull....do any of you fellers have good info as to which would be the better choice ???

Thanks,
JRMoore
Posted By: JD

Re: A pistol for BIG bear country....... - 12/22/2005 2:35 PM

speak of the devil and look who walks in.

How has life been treating you?
Been a long time since I seen you around.

As for your question, Ruger Mark3 in 17M2 and shotgun with #9 shot.

JD
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: A pistol for BIG bear country....... - 12/22/2005 5:37 PM

either cartridge is up to the task at short range with hard cast bullets but I would probably lean toward the 480 because of its larger diameter bullet. have you looked at the short barreled S&W500 that would be a real bear stopper, my own back up gun is a custom blackhawk coversion in 475 linebaugh with a 4 5/8 barrel, with this I'm running 425gr hard cast at just under 1400fps, if you have the time and money you might look at that option too, as it is very light and packable but has awesome power.
Posted By: Cossack

Re: A pistol for BIG bear country....... - 12/22/2005 6:26 PM

Either one,especially loaded with heavy hard cast bullets will do.But it's very hard to aim accurately when filling ones pants. So, I'd include a container of commercial grade pepper spray intended for that purpose in my arsinal. Indications are it's more effective in stopping bear attacks than handguns when used by the average shooter.
Posted By: shooter_44

Re: A pistol for BIG bear country....... - 12/23/2005 10:29 PM

Whichever is lightest. Enables one to run faster.
Posted By: Tigger

Re: A pistol for BIG bear country....... - 12/23/2005 10:36 PM

For what you need, either would do the trick. If you ever need to pull the trigger the bear will be close enough that the difference between the two calibers will not be an issue. I wounder how recoil is on one of the short barreled Rugers Alaskans?? Or recovery for a quick second shot??

If you do have to pull the trigger that will sure be some excitement.
Posted By: BS2

Re: A pistol for BIG bear country....... - 12/26/2005 3:06 AM

A 22 Short, light quick and easy to carry. Will it stop a bear? .............well it will stop your Guide or Partner, when you shoot them in the knee cap!
Posted By: Dan B.

Re: A pistol for BIG bear country....... - 12/26/2005 4:26 AM

Tigger...ol' JR needs to get himself a longer set of legs!! You can't run very fast on those short little things he has!!
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums