Handgunhunt

On or behind the shoulder?

Posted By: short30

On or behind the shoulder? - 07/31/2019 3:07 PM

Neck shot question and responses got me thinking. I was always taught to shoot behind the shoulders (with rifles) but with handgun rounds like .357 Mag and even 44 Mag I have seen deer run considerable distance. Not intending to make it a bullet thread; do you shoot behind the shoulder preserving a little shoulder meat or in the shoulder to put them down within a shorter distance?
Posted By: Bigbrowndog

Re: On or behind the shoulder? - 07/31/2019 4:16 PM

I try and take a shoulder out, which depends on animals angle at time of shot.

Trapr
Posted By: karl

Re: On or behind the shoulder? - 07/31/2019 4:27 PM

Behind the shoulder with expanding bullets if I can. If possible, I try to shoot low to take the top off the heart or open some of the large vessels. It often doesn't work exactly as planned but still seems to work well.
Posted By: Randy M

Re: On or behind the shoulder? - 07/31/2019 5:23 PM

Both. Totally depends on the situation, animal, alertness, weather, etc.
Posted By: Curly

Re: On or behind the shoulder? - 07/31/2019 5:37 PM

I prefer going thru ribcage and leaving the shoulder out of the equation. Especially if I am grocery shopping. It?s a guaranteed pass thru, excellent blood trail, and a very short walk. I wait for the perfect shot angle. If is a nice buck then what I just stated does not apply.
Posted By: Zee

Re: On or behind the shoulder? - 07/31/2019 6:16 PM

Depends on the angle presented and what I?m using.
Posted By: 45MAN

Re: On or behind the shoulder? - 07/31/2019 7:52 PM

SHOULDER, SHOULDER, SHOULDER, ESPECIALLY WITH REVOLVERS
Posted By: sixshot

Re: On or behind the shoulder? - 08/01/2019 3:53 AM

I use both depending on distance & angle. I'm always shooting a heavy for caliber cast bullet so I always get pass through's except for a couple of HP's in the last 4-5 years. Even then most of them are pass through's.
Shoulders on deer don't offer much resistance to a quality bullet of any kind. If I were guessing I'd say that too much speed might be the cause of most bullet failures. Just a guess.

Dick
Posted By: KRal

Re: On or behind the shoulder? - 08/01/2019 7:48 AM

Depends on situation, bullet and gun being used. But, if all is well, I try to take out at least one shoulder - preferably two.
Posted By: sw282

Re: On or behind the shoulder? - 08/03/2019 8:37 AM

Thru BOTH shoulders!!
Posted By: sw282

Re: On or behind the shoulder? - 08/03/2019 8:38 AM

Thru BOTH shoulders!!
Posted By: rougerocco

Re: On or behind the shoulder? - 08/03/2019 12:20 PM

Behind the should low, with an expandable bullet. Leaves a good blood trail if they run.
Posted By: billa

Re: On or behind the shoulder? - 08/03/2019 11:04 PM

It depends on the situation and the gun I am using. For deer I typically shoot for the top of the heart regardless of the angle. Quartering away that can catch the off shoulder. Quartering toward just in front of the facing shoulder. Broadside just below center on the leg - low shoulder. On a big buck go for both shoulders centered to anchor him. When I was in Africa they ALWAYS tell you to go for center shoulder every time on any size animal.
Posted By: abner

Re: On or behind the shoulder? - 08/03/2019 11:10 PM

I shoot for the lungs. If there is a shoulder in the way fine otherwise an expanding bullet behind the shoulder works just fine. That doesn't go for dangerous game which I have no experience.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: On or behind the shoulder? - 08/04/2019 2:19 AM

I've typically aimed just behind the shoulder. The results varied depending on the bullet. A 155 grain A-Max between the ribs downed my first handgun buck after only two steps, while a 200 grain XPB in the same spot on a medium doe resulted in a 150+ yard run.

Within reasonable ranges, I might start attempting shoulder shots if I'm shooting tougher bullets.
Posted By: Franchise

Re: On or behind the shoulder? - 08/04/2019 2:49 AM

I love big bore handguns and heavy bullets, but the fastest one shot kills ALWAYS have come from lighter, faster, more frangible bullets..keep that in mind...deer are not huge, they are thin skinned and not hard to penetrate..go lighter and faster..you'll notice a difference..my fastest WT kills have come from 125 gr Blkouts
Posted By: bscott

Re: On or behind the shoulder? - 08/17/2019 7:35 AM

2x lungs babe!
Posted By: Memtb460

Re: On or behind the shoulder? - 08/20/2019 7:42 PM

If I don?t have my ? head up my behind?, I?d go thru the shoulder. But, many years of rifle hunting will probably cause me to shoot behind the shoulder! At handgun velocities, particularly with cast bullets, I believe that it would make a quicker kill. Not only will you break the animal down in the front-end.....but the bone fragments will cause secondary damage to lungs, vessels, ect. memtb
Posted By: Bob Roach

Re: On or behind the shoulder? - 08/21/2019 12:35 PM

I have until very lately always processed my own deer. I normally wait for a broadside behind the shoulder shot to minimize meat loss. I am sure that expansion with most jacketed rifle bullets at handgun velocity would be much more impressive hitting a shoulder.

Bob R
Posted By: Roger in NC

Re: On or behind the shoulder? - 08/21/2019 8:35 PM

High shoulder since I switched to hard cast. So far, pass through on both shoulders and DRT.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums