Handgunhunt

New handgun hunter

Posted By: Midwesthunter11

New handgun hunter - 08/12/2019 2:22 AM

Took a buddy shooting yesterday and turned him on to the idea of hunting with a handgun ! He never shot a revolver before and shot really well for his first time. We shot .22lr,.38 spl, .357 mag, 10 mm ,.44 spl, and .44 mag standing. Going to go out again to sight out sitting down,but for now just having fun!
Posted By: sixshot

Re: New handgun hunter - 08/12/2019 5:07 AM

Good for you for taking a new shooter & showing him about handguns & also for taking him again & sitting down. Shooting those bigger calibers from the standing position can be pretty challenging for a new shooter with so much going on at first.
Best to take it slow with him & teach him the basics of breathing, sight alignment, trigger squeeze, etc with the small calibers first before handing him the big boys for offhand.
Also it's a good idea to keep the targets fairly close, hitting the target keeps them interested & builds confidence a lot quicker than if he's missing half the time. Good luck with your buddy, he will like it for sure.

Dick
Posted By: 45MAN

Re: New handgun hunter - 08/12/2019 12:05 PM

IT ONLY TAKES A FEW HIGH POWER ROUNDS TO DEVELOP BAD HABITS WITH A REVOLVER, TAKES A BUNCH OF 22's AND STANDARD 38 SPECIALS TYPE ROUNDS TO DEVELOP GOOD HABITS, LIKE DICK SAYS: START 'EM WITH THE LIGHT KICKERS.
Posted By: reflex264

Re: New handgun hunter - 08/12/2019 12:27 PM

That's great!
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: New handgun hunter - 08/12/2019 1:55 PM

Excellent! What we need is more like-minded folks in our ranks.
Posted By: Western Revolver

Re: New handgun hunter - 08/13/2019 3:18 AM

Good on you sir!! I still remember my first rounds through a .44 mag. It sure hooked me:) hope it does the same for your friend.
Posted By: Bob Roach

Re: New handgun hunter - 08/13/2019 12:22 PM

I have a neighbor who is showing some interest in handgun hunting. He is a stand hunter, and has no problem watching deer for extended periods to make a perfect shot on the one he wants to take. So handgun hunting should work out very well for him.
He inherited the 120 acres next to out property, and hunts it during deer season. He is up pretty much weekly to mow, but catching him when I am not working can be a problem.
I just need to make an appointment with him to try out one of my 357 Maximums. I have brakes on both barrels, and as was said above the recoil can be tamed down further with the ammunition to not develop any bad habits. I am sure he will be hooked the first time he shoots either my Contender or Scout.

Bob R
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums