Handgunhunt

racksmasher boar

Posted By: jamesfromjersey

racksmasher boar - 10/10/2019 11:11 PM

Jimmy will tell you about his recent boar hunt with tracker. Here are his photos...
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: racksmasher boar - 10/10/2019 11:23 PM

I?m looking forward to the story behind the boar taken with the Optima.
Posted By: Brenden

Re: racksmasher boar - 10/10/2019 11:49 PM

Jimmy, I hadn't seen the one you took with the BP rig. Good going!

I'm still in awe over that 480 slug.

Good going guys. Awesome boars!
Posted By: sixshot

Re: racksmasher boar - 10/11/2019 1:03 AM

Congratulations on some big old porkers! That first one looks like he's got a bullet hole just behind that right ear, might be wrong.

Dick
Posted By: Franchise

Re: racksmasher boar - 10/11/2019 1:45 AM

Always good to see a successful handgun hunt...great job guys
Posted By: KRal

Re: racksmasher boar - 10/11/2019 2:11 AM

Congrats on a successful hunt! I?m curious to hear about that bullet.
Posted By: nytracker

Re: racksmasher boar - 10/11/2019 12:51 PM

Had another great .... but wet hunt with racksmasher. Hunted hard all morning and into the afternoon. Rain went from sprinkle to steady as the day passed . Boars were very weary. They didn't tolerate any movement. If they spotted you they were gone . Managed to find my boar bedded up on a steep bank laying against a log . Bank was covered in loose gravel leaves and acorns. Compounded by the rain it was like standing on ice . As the.boar stood up I had my ruger redhawk on my trigger sticks. At 25 yds I settled the dot on the shoulder . Boar was quartering away ,started squeezing trigger and as the gun went off the trigger sticks slid in the gravel . No clue about the hit . Boar ran off 20 yds . Back on sticks bore quartering hard away I shot again . Sliding once again falling to the ground this time . I get to my knees and get back on the boar . No shot as it's going straight away. Up and over the bank. Take off after the boar climbing to the top just in time to see it going over the other side. I see blood on the closest shoulder ,settle the dot just behind the shoulder squeeze off a shot hitting through both lungs . 2 steps later it goes down . I sneak up behind a tree and finish it..

Bullet was a miha cast hollow point. Dropping at 391 grains with my mix. I used the large pins . Pushing it with 12 grns of HS 6. Wlp.

Theres another pic in bragging board . I cant seem to add it to a post.

I have to say I am loving the redhawk 480. I have killed 5 boar with it. My other guns aren't getting much love these days .
Posted By: Ernie

Re: racksmasher boar - 10/11/2019 2:26 PM

You guys found a way to get it done-Congrats!
Posted By: Mr. Bisley

Re: racksmasher boar - 10/11/2019 5:02 PM

What?s the load you used in Optima smoke pistol?

Re: racksmasher boar - 10/11/2019 5:14 PM

Racksmasher will have to answer that question

Re: racksmasher boar - 10/11/2019 5:44 PM

Picture of trackers recovered cast bullet...

Re: racksmasher boar - 10/11/2019 6:10 PM

Thank you James.

Re: racksmasher boar - 10/11/2019 7:21 PM

Originally Posted By: nytracker
Thank you James.
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: racksmasher boar - 10/11/2019 10:35 PM

I finally have some time to give you the details of our hunt, there were not many boar to be hunted , the boar that we did come across were very spooky and would run to the other side of the property, this made the hunt more difficult , the weather didn?t help, the meat boar I shot with my Optima black powder pistol, I used 80 grains of Blackhorn 209, with a 200 grain T/C shockwave bullet, the distance was 45 yards, hit in the shoulder he ran over the hill, I finished things up with the 629, and Hornady XTP?s, the Russian was a pretty difficult joker, it took all day to get him, twice he came by me and I never saw him due to the steep hillside, he came by later in the day, and I couldn?t tell if it was him , he had rolled in the mud, and was the same color as all the other boar, he was the darkest one in the bunch, finally before dark , we had them spotted on a steep hillside, after setting up ahead of them , they spooked and were running down a old logging road, I had the freedom 83 in 44 Mag, on the sticks, the dot on the Ultra Dot found the boars head at 40 yards, squeezing the trigger the boar dropped in his tracks, the XTP did its job hitting him in the neck, Mike and myself had a great time , Mike finally recovered a few bullets from the 480, it was a great trip, I cant wait until next year, this was our 5th year going to the wilderness lodge, thanks to tracker, the staff at the wilderness, and James for posting the pictures.

Re: racksmasher boar - 10/11/2019 10:48 PM

Rack smasher that was a heck of a shot ... your still my hero !!
Posted By: rougerocco

Re: racksmasher boar - 10/12/2019 12:01 PM

Nice Hogs!!
Posted By: BRASF0311

Re: racksmasher boar - 10/13/2019 12:54 AM

Nice trophies guys, congrats!
Posted By: Zee

Re: racksmasher boar - 10/13/2019 2:21 PM

Nice pigs!!
Posted By: cmnash

Re: racksmasher boar - 10/13/2019 11:57 PM

Those are some great looking Russians guys!

I happy to hear they were taken with great shooting from your revolvers. Congratulations!
Posted By: GlennS

Re: racksmasher boar - 10/28/2019 4:10 AM

NYtracker. Have you tried 13 grains? I usually get slugs to expand to about .9?. It?s a great bullet. Hits like a hammer! Nice work!
Posted By: Randy M

Re: racksmasher boar - 10/28/2019 11:37 AM

That's outstanding! Congrats Jim.

Re: racksmasher boar - 10/29/2019 11:43 PM

Glenn I did 13 gr. I had some leading as well as stickey extraction. Perhaps I will give it another go in the spring .
Posted By: GlennS

Re: racksmasher boar - 10/30/2019 1:21 AM

I got leading as well after about 20 shots when it was doing 1150. I slowed it back down to 1100 and have no issues. Good luck!
Posted By: KRal

Re: racksmasher boar - 10/30/2019 1:37 PM

I?m shooting 14.5 gr of HS6 in my SRH. Initially I was having leading issues. I bought me a set of pin gauges and learned I had thread choke (.002) just passed the forcing cone. After fire lapping to remove the constriction, I no longer have leading issues. It does have extraction issues, but it?s not because of pressure issues - it due to chatter marks in the chambers.
Posted By: Franchise

Re: racksmasher boar - 04/04/2020 6:50 PM

Reading hunting reports like this has me chomping at the bit.......
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: racksmasher boar - 04/05/2020 11:06 AM

You are up next😎

Re: racksmasher boar - 04/08/2020 5:51 PM

shoot that big boy Davie...
Posted By: WiseGuy

Re: racksmasher boar - 10/09/2020 4:44 PM

I shoot 12gr of HS6 in my 7.5 FA. It averages around 1050fps. I had leading and accuracy issues until I dropped it down to 12grs.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums