Handgunhunt

Missed the PA gun season - health issue.

Posted By: billa

Missed the PA gun season - health issue. - 12/29/2019 5:42 AM

Hi all. Haven?t posted lately due to a serious health issue. 3 days after I returned home from my Missouri hunt I went in for a stress test that was scheduled weeks earlier as I have been tiring easily and have had increased BP. I failed the test in dramatic fashion and the follow up catheterization revealed several coronary blockages. Next thing I know I am in an ambulance headed for Hershey Medical center. I had a 6 1/2 hour, quad bypass surgery the day after Thanksgiving. Fortunately I am recovering well and have no permanent damage. Never had a heart attack. Dr says I should be 100% after recovery. I am very blessed and just happy to be here. Missed my first ever PA gun season since I started hunting in 1971 but hopefully I will be here for next season. Will be rehabbing for the next couple months but hope to be shooting again by spring.
Posted By: DarkTimber

Re: Missed the PA gun season - health issue. - 12/29/2019 6:00 AM

billa,
Sorry to hear about your heart issue. Sounds like you will back at it in no time.

Best of luck in your recovery!
Posted By: Hawkeye

Re: Missed the PA gun season - health issue. - 12/29/2019 7:20 AM

Sorry to hear this but happy you caught it before problems got worse.
Good luck and wish you a speedy recovery. You might be able to shame some
of your hunting buddies into bringing over some venison until you can recoup.
HAH
Glad your okay.

Mike
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: Missed the PA gun season - health issue. - 12/29/2019 1:35 PM

Wishing you a speedy recovery Bill
Posted By: REDHAWK1954

Re: Missed the PA gun season - health issue. - 12/29/2019 2:05 PM

I am sorry you have been sick but am glad they caught it before things got worse.
Posted By: rougerocco

Re: Missed the PA gun season - health issue. - 12/29/2019 2:58 PM

Sorry to hear you miss season, but on the brightside they caught it in time where there is no permanent damage!
Posted By: wvhitman

Re: Missed the PA gun season - health issue. - 12/29/2019 4:23 PM

billa, you got a reprieve on life. Use the rest of it to make sure you follow your doc's recommendations and live smart and healthy. Best of luck.
I missed my only buck season after getting shot. It's a heartbreak, but not the end of the world.
Best of luck.
Posted By: bigbore442001

Re: Missed the PA gun season - health issue. - 12/29/2019 4:28 PM

Sorry to hear of that but the good news is that you are on the mend. There is always next season and possibly do some kind of spring exotic hunt
Posted By: reflex264

Re: Missed the PA gun season - health issue. - 12/29/2019 6:23 PM

Glad you are on the mend. Take it easy. Next season will be here before you know it.
Posted By: Walkingthemup

Re: Missed the PA gun season - health issue. - 12/29/2019 8:04 PM

Good to hear your recovering. A life changing event that lets you know how precious every day we have is.
Posted By: dave thomas

Re: Missed the PA gun season - health issue. - 12/29/2019 10:58 PM

glad they caught it early without a tragic end, good luck on your recovery.
prayers of healing for you.
Posted By: PsTaN

Re: Missed the PA gun season - health issue. - 12/29/2019 11:23 PM

Take care and God Bless ... Glad you caught it before it caught you!!

P
Posted By: Hippie

Re: Missed the PA gun season - health issue. - 12/29/2019 11:43 PM

Pray for a quick recovery. Do what the doctors tell ya. Don?t do what I do when I?m down a recovering. Stay off the auction sites. I get bore I have been know to spend money. Take care
Posted By: junebug

Re: Missed the PA gun season - health issue. - 12/30/2019 3:24 AM

Wish you a speedy recovery. Get in some dry fire practice and the season will be back around before you know it. Best of luck to you.
Posted By: Okie Hunter

Re: Missed the PA gun season - health issue. - 12/30/2019 3:40 AM

Glad to hear you're doing better. Prayers for you and your family.
Posted By: KRal

Re: Missed the PA gun season - health issue. - 12/30/2019 8:14 PM

Bill, glad it was caught early and able to be treated. We will kept you and your family in our prayers.
Posted By: billa

Re: Missed the PA gun season - health issue. - 12/30/2019 9:46 PM

Guys. Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes. My words of advice for you all is listen to your bodies and seek out a good Dr. fortunately for me I have a good family Dr that is willing to listen to me. In the spring if 2018 I was feeling tired and run down. At that time my BP was elevated a bit but the Dr did not feel I needed to medicate for that. We did blood tests and found I had Lymes disease. Did the antibiotic treatment and symptoms did improve but I was far from 100%. Wrote it off to being 59 and putting on a few too many pounds. In retrospect I think the heart blockages we?re starting to affect me then but the Lymes masked it for us. About a year ago started BP meds to bring the pressure down. Assumed it was work stress and extra pounds. Blood work and EKG pretty normal. A few months ago the Dr and I discussed a stress test. We agreed it was worth doing. Also did a sleep study and discovered sleep apnea about a month before the stress test. Now I have a CPAP.

Here is the punch line. My symptoms were minimal. Tire easily, winded, never had sweats, headaches or severe chest pains. Had minimal angina. Cholesterol levels borderline. was not on meds for that. I do not drink, smoke or have any severe habits. Athletic and active into my 50s. Not so much the last 2-3 years. I never had spent a night in the hospital until this. Luckily I took action and discussed it with my Dr. Even he was shocked at the outcome.
Posted By: 45MAN

Re: Missed the PA gun season - health issue. - 12/31/2019 1:35 AM

YOU ARE A VERY LUCKY MAN, 40 YEARS AGO, MAYBE LESS, WE WOULD HAVE BEEN PRAYING FOR THE REPOSE OF YOUR SOUL.
Posted By: bluecow

Re: Missed the PA gun season - health issue. - 12/31/2019 9:59 AM

Our prayers are with you. Men tend to be kind of stupid sometimes. Especially when we start feeling better and do more than we are ready for. Listen to the doc. Thats why they get the big bucks (no pun intended)
Posted By: jcp161

Re: Missed the PA gun season - health issue. - 12/31/2019 1:24 PM

Very glad they caught it when they did.
Not sure on your family history but you can do everything right and still not beat genetics. At least that's what my cardiologist told me.
\:\)

Stick with the recovery plan and wishing you a speedy recovery.
Posted By: cont35bb

Re: Missed the PA gun season - health issue. - 12/31/2019 2:15 PM

billa , Best wishes for recovery. I see you reside in Central Pa as I do. I'm originally from "Steeler Country" but now reside in "Nittany Lion Country". I've been unable to participate in bear /deer seasons for several years because of road work. Ironically health issues in the last few years have allowed me to catch those seasons at the tail end of my recovery (Big C & Hip replacement). When time allows I frequent the PAGC Scotia Range w/some of my TC Contenders/ Encores. Those of which could handle most anything Dorothy spoke of in Wizard of Oz ( Lions & Tigers & Bears Oh My !) I'm a fan of .35 calibers but don't have the .358 JDJ (yet). Do have .375 Win & .375 JDJ though along w/45/70. I've enjoyed reading your posts ,so, recover well & keep them coming !
Posted By: RH Custom Guns

Re: Missed the PA gun season - health issue. - 12/31/2019 2:34 PM

So sorry to hear. God bless modern medicine, and heres to being behind the trigger again soon!
Posted By: RBO21

Re: Missed the PA gun season - health issue. - 12/31/2019 4:00 PM

Hope you are recovering well!
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Missed the PA gun season - health issue. - 12/31/2019 4:33 PM

Sorry to hear, but on the bright side you probably stopped an even worse complication further down the road.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums