Handgunhunt

Win Platinum Tip 44 Ammo

Posted By: KRal

Win Platinum Tip 44 Ammo - 01/18/2020 8:46 PM

Although I don't use factory ammo, I witnessed the performance of this ammo and thought it would be beneficial for the hunters that don't hand load. A friend of mine that I got hooked on handgun hunting three years ago, used this ammo to kill his fourth hand-gunned deer. He was using a Bisley Hunter with a 4x Leupold attached.

He killed this deer from the same place I killed a deer a couple weeks ago using my FA M83 44mag.

He was sitting in the same spot and the deer came up the same trail and he shot it in the same fashion as I did (frontal shot). His deer feel 15 yards from where mine fell.

Now for the ammo review. He made a frontal shot on the deer at 25 yards. Upon cleaning the deer, we found that the bullet was just shy of full penetration. The bullet was found in the rear of the right tender loin, just up against the pelvic bone. The bullet seems to have penetrated straight and deep and looked picture perfect.

We have not shot any through the chronograph, but Winchesters website list 1250 fps - no barrel length given.
I know this is a small sample, but first impressions is this is some great hunting ammo for the non-hand load.
If I didn't know better....I'd say this was an old black talon bullet with nickel plating instead of Teflon coating.

I apologize for not weighing the bullet, but from the looks of it, I'd say it retained 95-100% of the original weight.
Posted By: rougerocco

Re: Win Platinum Tip 44 Ammo - 01/18/2020 9:05 PM

Nice shooting and nice deer!

I was looking for these last spring for a hunt. I couldn't find them anywhere. I was wondering if they are still made?

Re: Win Platinum Tip 44 Ammo - 01/18/2020 9:48 PM

Originally Posted By: rougerocco
Nice shooting and nice deer!

I was looking for these last spring for a hunt. I couldn't find them anywhere. I was wondering if they are still made?

Not sure. He picked them up a month ago at a LGS.

edit- It's still showing available on Winchesters website.
I wish they offered the bullet as a component.
Posted By: wvhitman

Re: Win Platinum Tip 44 Ammo - 01/19/2020 1:58 AM

Looks like the old Black Talon, which was a super bullet.
Posted By: Franchise

Re: Win Platinum Tip 44 Ammo - 01/19/2020 2:18 AM

I have 100 of the 400 gr 50 Caliber component Platinum Tips to load up for my SSK 500 S&W....should be an excellent performer

Re: Win Platinum Tip 44 Ammo - 01/19/2020 2:30 AM

Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Win Platinum Tip 44 Ammo - 01/19/2020 3:05 AM

Winchester has always offered good hunting ammunition for handguns.
Their Supreme line offered the 260gr Partition in 454 which gave me slightly better 100yd groups then my handloads using the same bullet... Have a box of 240gr PT .41 mag ammo waiting to be used...

Re: Win Platinum Tip 44 Ammo - 01/19/2020 3:08 AM

Where did you happen upon them? That should be devastating on something!
Posted By: Okie Hunter

Re: Win Platinum Tip 44 Ammo - 01/19/2020 3:36 AM

Congrats on the gun and deer.

Re: Win Platinum Tip 44 Ammo - 01/19/2020 3:41 AM

Mine came from The Jersey Wild Man, but I just texted you a link to a seller on Gunbroker
Posted By: Zee

Re: Win Platinum Tip 44 Ammo - 01/19/2020 6:59 AM

Does look like yet another reiteration of the Black Talon. Like they did with the SXT line (Same Exact Thing). 😁

Why mess with a good thing.

Can?t be as deadly, though. It ain?t black. 😎

Re: Win Platinum Tip 44 Ammo - 01/19/2020 1:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Zee
Does look like yet another reiteration of the Black Talon. Like they did with the SXT line (Same Exact Thing). 😁

Why mess with a good thing.

Can?t be as deadly, though. It ain?t black. 😎

Yeah and the black talon was a cop killer, the platinum tip is not.
Posted By: rougerocco

Re: Win Platinum Tip 44 Ammo - 01/19/2020 6:43 PM

Yeah and the black talon was a cop killer, the platinum tip is not. [/quote]

LOL! Black Talon got my pistol and Hog Chasing started back in early 90's When out with a bunch of guys in swap buggies in Southern Fl. and we got down and started following the dogs. Running and Gunning! Cornered a hog and the guy was worried that it would charge us. .45 to the forehead said different! Been hooked ever since!
Posted By: Duke3026

Re: Win Platinum Tip 44 Ammo - 01/19/2020 10:11 PM

[quote=KRal][quote=Zee]Does look like yet another reiteration of the Black Talon. Like they did with the SXT line (Same Exact Thing). 😁

Yeah and the black talon was a cop killer, the platinum tip is not.

[u][/http://looserounds.com/2019/10/13/winchester-black-talons-the-handgun-ammo-that-was-just-too-good-to-survive-the-pants-wetters/[u]
Posted By: wheelguns

Re: Win Platinum Tip 44 Ammo - 01/20/2020 2:51 AM

Looks great, I agree Kim it would be nice as a reloading component.
Posted By: cmnash

Re: Win Platinum Tip 44 Ammo - 01/21/2020 12:53 AM

I used the Winchester Platinum Tip factory load to shoot this groundhog at 92 yards.

The Platinum Tip was quite accurate in that revolver, and if I recall, it crossed the chronograph at nearly 1400 fps from the Stalker's 8 inch barrel. I thought it wood make a fantastic deer load, but never found out.

I have however, had superb results from Winchester's discontinued 250 grain Partition loading. The Winchester Supreme loads are high quality for sure.

Re: Win Platinum Tip 44 Ammo - 01/21/2020 2:01 AM

That?s a good looking revolver, Matt.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Win Platinum Tip 44 Ammo - 01/21/2020 3:45 AM

Them's some shiny boolits.
Posted By: jcp161

Re: Win Platinum Tip 44 Ammo - 01/21/2020 1:29 PM

That's impressive performance.

Will have to pick some up for next season.
Posted By: Western Revolver

Re: Win Platinum Tip 44 Ammo - 02/17/2020 3:49 AM

That's a good bit of field data KRal! Nice work thanks for the tip.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums