Handgunhunt

Blame Dick Metcalf

Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Blame Dick Metcalf - 02/01/2020 2:10 AM

Some time around 2005 Dick Metcalf published an article using a then new Taurus Tracker in 41 mag with a four inch barrel to take a treed mountain lion. That immediately caught my interest and the little Tracker stayed with me until I recently found one in good condition at the right price. I saw that the Taurus designer`s spent some time on this one with features like a tight cylinder gap, a solid lock up at the point of ignition, eight ports at the muzzle, a recessed red enamel front sight and W/O rear blade, and a forgiving rubber grip that all came together in a neat little stainless package that is a candidate for a perfect packer. Fast forward to last Sunday and the shooting range at Tioga Ranch (high fence) where I dialed in the rear sight to match the point of aim at 25yds of some 210gr XTP handloads along with my DW 357 Max sporting a new scope and my handloads using the 180gr Partition. The accuracy with the small 41 with iron sights was more then my old eyes could ask for so I asked to guide to do what he could to close the distance on a good boar so I could use this little hammer. After a few blown stalks we managed to get behind a large pine that gave me no option except to try an offhand shot. At 30 or so yards walked four boar with my target in the lead. As I leveled and cocked the Tracker all four came to a stop giving me a 1/4 toward shot that absolutely rocked that boar. Three steps more and I hit `em again that flopped him on his side and in the time it took to walk the distance he was finished. My classic 22 to the ear shot was`ent needed... This handload is the only one I use in my 7 1/2" S&W 657 and has performed without a hitch on all the game its taken showing excellent expansion for an XTP, however, the shorter four inch barrel on the Tracker had to give lower velocity which in turn gave less expansion with the bullet. The one bullet I recovered tracked through the boar and stopped at the rear leg bone with minimal expansion of only 0.510" and just 0.6grs weight loss coming in at 209.4grs recovered weight..... My days of shooting high velocity, heavy weight bullets from my 475 and 500`s were fun but are becoming less and less but after seeing what a well placed 41 from a four inch barrel can do on a 250+lb boar I realized that all that power is not needed for most of what I and 90 percent of todays handgun hunters try to achieve in the field.
Blame it on Dick Metcalf....
Posted By: cmnash

Re: Blame Dick Metcalf - 02/01/2020 2:26 AM

It didn't take long for you to put the Tracker to work. Very impressive!

Re: Blame Dick Metcalf - 02/01/2020 3:21 AM

What`s really ironic is that after reading another Dick Metcalf article over 35 years ago where he recommends Winchester 158gr JHP ammo for handgunning deer I also listened to what he said and took my first whitetail using that ammunition.... Back then my eyesight was 20/20, my hands were as steady as a tight steel cable so I thank the good Lord that I still have the ability (even though it was only 30 yards) to use iron sights on a four inch revolver and shoot straight and true...
Posted By: Randy M

Re: Blame Dick Metcalf - 02/01/2020 11:01 AM

The hog whisperer does it again! Congrats James!
Posted By: REDHAWK1954

Re: Blame Dick Metcalf - 02/01/2020 11:46 AM

Good shooting as always.
Posted By: KRal

Re: Blame Dick Metcalf - 02/01/2020 1:53 PM

Great job, as always, James! That?s a neat little belt gun. I bet Dick Thompson?s 230 PC Keith would be good medicine for the little tracker. My 6? Blackhawk really likes it pushed with 8.5 of unique....oh by the way, that?s a great looking boar! Congrats!
Posted By: Franchise

Re: Blame Dick Metcalf - 02/01/2020 4:21 PM

You've proved what "we've" known all along....boar are not bullet proof 😉🤔😜😂....and porcelain 😉 Flesh isn't made of kevlar 😳 Basic ballistic common knowledge goes a long ways 😬 Congratulations James! Now to Christen a certain "useless" 50 Caliber 😛😂🤣🤘🏼
Posted By: junebug

Re: Blame Dick Metcalf - 02/01/2020 9:27 PM

Way to go James! Old age and treachery make up for youth and younger eye sight. Sneak up behind a pine tree and whack some more!
Posted By: Russell

Re: Blame Dick Metcalf - 02/01/2020 9:29 PM

Looks like you've gone and done it again! Congratulations!

Re: Blame Dick Metcalf - 02/01/2020 11:04 PM

Originally Posted By: KRal
Great job, as always, James! That?s a neat little belt gun. I bet Dick Thompson?s 230 PC Keith would be good medicine for the little tracker. My 6? Blackhawk really likes it pushed with 8.5 of unique....

Kim, one of the first things I did was to load a dummy round using Dick`s PC 41 bullets and they are much to long for the Tracker`s short five shot cylinder. A 210XTP almost fills the length of the cylinder....

Re: Blame Dick Metcalf - 02/01/2020 11:10 PM

Originally Posted By: junebug
Way to go James! Old age and treachery make up for youth and younger eye sight. Sneak up behind a pine tree and whack some more!

JB, your a man who`s been "around the block"....
;\)
Posted By: KRal

Re: Blame Dick Metcalf - 02/02/2020 12:35 AM

Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
 Originally Posted By: KRal
Great job, as always, James! That?s a neat little belt gun. I bet Dick Thompson?s 230 PC Keith would be good medicine for the little tracker. My 6? Blackhawk really likes it pushed with 8.5 of unique....

Kim, one of the first things I did was to load a dummy round using Dick`s PC 41 bullets and they are much to long for the Tracker`s short five shot cylinder. A 210XTP almost fills the length of the cylinder....

Wow...it must be a very petite cylinder. Those 210 deep curls would prolly be a good choice as well.
Posted By: wheelguns

Re: Blame Dick Metcalf - 02/02/2020 3:13 AM

Good one James, congratulations on a great shot and great hog. Had a Taurus Tracker in 357 that was a great gun, extremely accurate.
Posted By: dave thomas

Re: Blame Dick Metcalf - 02/02/2020 11:25 PM

james
great job and way to stick with the open sights. Just goes to show that a well placed bullet will get the job done.
nice boar btw!
Posted By: Okie Hunter

Re: Blame Dick Metcalf - 02/03/2020 1:15 AM

Congrats James.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Blame Dick Metcalf - 02/03/2020 3:44 AM

Nice! Always neat to see the recovered bullets, too.
Posted By: jcp161

Re: Blame Dick Metcalf - 02/03/2020 1:22 PM

Good read and nice shooting.
\:\)
Posted By: reflex264

Re: Blame Dick Metcalf - 02/03/2020 5:28 PM

Very nice kill. I still have the hankering for a Tracker.
Posted By: rougerocco

Re: Blame Dick Metcalf - 02/03/2020 9:09 PM

Outstanding Job James!!
Posted By: RBO21

Re: Blame Dick Metcalf - 02/04/2020 8:46 PM

Congrats! I am a fan of 4" revolvers as well.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums