Handgunhunt

black hills turkey

Posted By: dave thomas

black hills turkey - 04/18/2020 1:02 AM

leaving for custer, SD area tuesday for a handgun turkey hunt. practicing social distancing, taking my camper to be self sufficient. planning on being in the hills for 4 days. anyone with any advice, i would surely listen. i am used to Iowa and nebraska turkeys, assuming they are basically the same.
My son Brad is shooting a 7-30 waters and i will be shooting a 375 win.
Posted By: Ernie

Re: black hills turkey - 04/18/2020 5:38 PM

Enjoy.
I know the area around Custer somewhat-Beautiful.
Good luck and have fun.
Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: black hills turkey - 04/18/2020 8:58 PM

No advice except to have fun and stay safe. Good luck and post pics !
Posted By: bigbore442001

Re: black hills turkey - 04/18/2020 9:28 PM

I wish and pray that you have good luck In a way I wish I was in the same situation.

If I were after Merriams Wild Turkey in the Black Hills, I'd use either my Super 14 in 22 WRM or 10 inch 22 K Hornet

Re: black hills turkey - 04/19/2020 1:36 AM

going to use a big bore hoping to replicate Docs success by hitting them with something big in the goodies. going to have a good time no matter what.
Posted By: reflex264

Re: black hills turkey - 04/20/2020 4:45 PM

Have a blast!

Re: black hills turkey - 04/21/2020 1:59 AM

thanks all
Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: black hills turkey - 04/21/2020 4:24 PM

I?ve probably (maybe) killed more turkeys with a bow than a shotgun. Archery advice has always been, ?hit ?em high, watch ?em die, hit ?em low, watch ?em go? Probably good advice for the .375 Win also. In any case, you are gonna have fun with your son, even more if you bring home the bacon,.....uh, fowl.

Re: black hills turkey - 04/21/2020 8:06 PM

thanks- i bow hunt with a longbow. most of my turkey shots are at 4-9 yards. i fully believe that saying. you gotta hit them where there is something that will shut off the heartbeat.
leaving at 5pm today and should be hunting tomorrow mid morning!
Posted By: jcp161

Re: black hills turkey - 04/30/2020 8:08 PM

Well Dave Thomas, how did that go?
\:\)

Re: black hills turkey - 05/01/2020 1:54 AM

well, the trip was a great bonding time with Brad. Hunting on the other hand was somewhat frustrating. Lots of people hunting in the area where we were, didnt matter that we were over a mile from the road, we had 5 people walk in on us or thru our setup. Brad had one opportunity to shoot a jake on morning of Day 2 but they were on the move and very nervous. stood up and walked 50 yards and saw the reason, a hunter was walking away from the setup. Grrr. thats public hunting for you.
The gobblers were henned up and not responding well, no gobbling except on the roost. hit the ground and silence. typical early season turkey hunting. if i was going to plan another trip out to the hills i would plan it for mid mayish. Saw 77 elk, group of 12 bighorn sheep two days in a row, tons of mulies and whitetails. Overall a great time. if i can work it into the schedule i may try to run back out and have another go at them. wont take the camper this next time, just tent camp and go light.
Posted By: Willicd76

Re: black hills turkey - 05/01/2020 4:44 AM

Sounds like a great time Dave!

Re: black hills turkey - 05/01/2020 7:09 PM

it was! definitely going back to try it again. need to bag one with a handgun.
Posted By: jcp161

Re: black hills turkey - 05/01/2020 8:33 PM

That does sound like a great time.
Maybe the return trip's hunting will be better.
Good luck if you get back out.

Re: black hills turkey - 05/01/2020 11:59 PM

thanks

Re: black hills turkey - 05/20/2020 2:55 AM

headed back out to the hills tomorrow with my darling wife. we were apart on our anniversary due to me teaching a survival weekend in Missouri. she said she would love to go to the hills and i could try to fill my tag. we will see if the gobblers are still love sick!

Re: black hills turkey - 05/21/2020 5:00 PM

Cant wait to hear the report Dave. Tell Dawn I said hi.
Posted By: Hawkeye

Re: black hills turkey - 05/24/2020 3:24 AM

Good luck and keep us informed.

Mike
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: black hills turkey - 05/24/2020 6:39 PM

Knock `em dead Dave......
Posted By: Mr. Bisley

Re: black hills turkey - 05/26/2020 5:12 PM

Wish Nebraska had a handgun season for turkey.

Re: black hills turkey - 05/29/2020 2:57 AM

well back from the black hills and the second trip was uneventful for turkeys. saw a total of 5 with one being a tom, once again the hunt was botched by another hunter. the traffic on the roads and trails was terrible with atv's and side by sides. there wasn't a two track that didn't have people riding them. Turkeys woulnt shock gobble at all and were totally silent when going to roost and when coming down. dangest thing i have seen in the turkey timber. talked to the locals and they said they have had two wet cold springs in a row and the turkey population is way down. also said the number of people running the hills are way up due to the pandemic and people using the outdoors to recreate.
There is always next year, maybe the circumstances will be different.

Re: black hills turkey - 05/29/2020 3:00 AM

Chuck,
dawn says Hi and looking forward to our next hog hunt, also said our next camping trip is northern minnesota. might see some bear sign in the wet areas and one property owner runs cameras so maybe some pics too. will let you know and send them your way to keep you interested.

Re: black hills turkey - 06/01/2020 9:42 PM

Sounds awesome Dave.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums