Handgunhunt

Javelina Hunting - any info appreciated

Posted By: BKS

Javelina Hunting - any info appreciated - 08/25/2020 9:24 PM

I would like to go hunt javelinas this winter, I guess Texas would be closest to me in AR. Anybody got any guides or other recommendations they can share?
Posted By: wvhitman

Re: Javelina Hunting - any info appreciated - 08/26/2020 9:22 PM

Backcountry Hunts( backcountryhunts.com) by Steve Jones in west TX about 3 hrs. SE of El Paso. I've hunted pronghorn and Carmen Mtn whitetail. Last year on the Whitetail hunt I saw TONS of javelina.
He's a super likable, friendly guy. He and his guides know the country extremely well. He has a massive lease. Pigs are everywhere.
I have nothing negative to say about him, his guides, or hois hunts.+
Posted By: H2OBUG

Re: Javelina Hunting - any info appreciated - 08/27/2020 1:30 AM

Here is what I will tell you.I was all fired up to shoot a Javelina until I did. That is one stinking animal. It is not a mini pig. I was thinking cook it whole. Well I could not get close to this stinker.
Let me say if you can go shoot 100 lb pigs go do that. Better food options and you don?t have to take the to the car wash with a qt of dawn before you clean them.

Look at some of my photos. Look at my face it tells a story on these suckers.

That is about all I have to say about that.
Posted By: BKS

Re: Javelina Hunting - any info appreciated - 08/27/2020 5:03 AM

H2OBUG I?ve heard that. I just think one would look awesome mounted.
WVHITMAN thank you I will email him soon.
Posted By: Randy M

Re: Javelina Hunting - any info appreciated - 08/27/2020 9:34 AM

Having lived in Texas most of my life and having killed a boat load of Javelinas, I can honestly tell you it's not worth the trip and expense to come just for that one animal. It's completely your call and your money but my suggestion would be to tag it on to something else like an exotic, whitetail, etc.

I'm not trying to poopoo your plans, just don't want you to be disappointed. They are super simple to hunt and kill. They usually travel in large packs and when you see one, you see 20+. When you shoot one, they run off and then come back 2 minutes later. When you shoot your 2nd one, you are done for the year.
Posted By: Randy M

Re: Javelina Hunting - any info appreciated - 08/27/2020 10:59 AM

But if you're set on going, here's a teaser video. These two were killed less than 5 minutes apart. The camera only shows a few skunk pigs, but I was covered up with them.

Skunk pigs with .454
Posted By: 45MAN

Re: Javelina Hunting - any info appreciated - 08/27/2020 11:46 AM

JAVELINA's ARE SMELLY/STINKY, FULL OF FLEAS AMND TICKS, AND ARE NOT THE BEST OF VENISON. WHILE MOST ARE KILLED WITH DEER RIFLES THEY ARE JUST THE RIGHT SIZE FOR 32 H&R, 327, 32-20, 22 MAG, 22 CENTERFIRE & 25-20 CALIBER REVOLVERS.

MY BROTHER DAVID (A RIFLE HUNTER) HAS RUGS MADE OUT OF JAVELINA SKINS (FULL SKIN, NOSE TO TAIL) AND THEY LOOK AWESOME.
Posted By: Ernie

Re: Javelina Hunting - any info appreciated - 08/27/2020 1:26 PM

Pics Please!!!

MY BROTHER DAVID (A RIFLE HUNTER) HAS RUGS MADE OUT OF JAVELINA SKINS (FULL SKIN, NOSE TO TAIL) AND THEY LOOK AWESOME.
Posted By: 45MAN

Re: Javelina Hunting - any info appreciated - 08/27/2020 7:25 PM

ERNIE: I JUST TEXTED MY BROTHER AND ASKED FOR SOME PICTURES, WHEN I GET THEM I WILL TRY TO POST THEM.
Posted By: H2OBUG

Re: Javelina Hunting - any info appreciated - 08/27/2020 8:01 PM

Rug Pretty cool --head vs no head

https://www.thetaxidermystore.com/taxide...sale-13011.html

https://www.thetaxidermystore.com/taxide...sale-13011.html
Posted By: BIZZMO

Re: Javelina Hunting - any info appreciated - 08/27/2020 9:52 PM

In Texas they are now a game animal so you have to take the meat.Just so you know!
Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: Javelina Hunting - any info appreciated - 08/28/2020 1:06 AM

I?ve only bowhunted them, and some of them stink, some of them don?t, but they got nothing on a big nasty smelling feral boar for stink. They are full of fleas, but the quide will squirt some Dawn on them, wash them off, and it kills the fleas. As for taste, they don?t have much IMO, but then I don?t eat feral hogs either. When you see a hog eating carrion it just kinda takes the desire to eat him out of the equation.

I will say hunting them with any firearm is pretty easy, but it?s fun, and a grown javelina makes for a really nice looking full body mount. Good luck !

BTW, the guy I went with is no longer operating or I would give you his contact.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums