Handgunhunt

THE SIXGUNNER!!

Posted By: RH Custom Guns

THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/02/2020 9:45 PM

Hello all! Through the immense generosity of J.D. Jones, I have been given the honor of digitizing The Sixgunner. For those who do not know, The Sixgunner was the periodical for the unfortunately defunct Handgun Hunters International organization. Mr. Jones was kind enough to send me his stack of issues for scanning and reproducing in a digital format. Because this is a huge job, and I didn't want everyone to have to wait on me to get them all done, I am sending them in weekly installments. It is completely free, and you can download and save the issues once you receive them.

To sign up, go to: handgunhuntersupply.com/thesixgunner
Posted By: H2OBUG

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/02/2020 9:48 PM

Thanks for the help
should be some good reading
Posted By: Teep

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/02/2020 10:25 PM

The link doesn't work. Looks like you added in a "t" after handgun.
Posted By: Franchise

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/03/2020 12:00 AM

The Sixgunners are the Finest Publications geared strictly towards handgun hunting. No sales pitch...just real results.
Posted By: Pa. Mike

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/03/2020 12:42 AM

Hats off to you for going to all the trouble to make this available to our group. Thank you!
Posted By: abner

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/03/2020 3:45 AM

Thank you sir. Your hard work is sure going to put a lot of smiles on a lot of faces.
Posted By: REDHAWK1954

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/03/2020 12:03 PM

Thank you for your effort to get this done!
Posted By: jcp161

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/03/2020 12:20 PM

Greatly appreciated! Got my first issue yesterday.
Thank you for doing it.

John

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/03/2020 12:53 PM

Thanks guys, I fixed the link.

My mission is to support and grow the handgun hunting community, so I'm more than happy to be doing this!
Posted By: wvhitman

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/03/2020 2:15 PM

Wow! That's great. I have all the issues, but they're getting a little "rotten" from aging.
I made a rough table of contents for the first 1/2 to 2/3 issues, but JD wasn't interested in promoting it. I stopped doing it.
All these issues are very entertaining, but also have loads of practical information for handgunners that you won't find elsewhere.

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/03/2020 3:33 PM

Yeah, I know we're getting to the point that the issues that are out there are going to start falling apart, especially if they were read as much as most people did.

I'm including a table of contents in the email with each issue.
Posted By: Ernie

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/03/2020 3:53 PM

Thank you for doing this.
E
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/03/2020 6:48 PM

you brought one of the finest back to life....
Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/03/2020 7:08 PM

I will be checking this out. Thanks for putting in the effort !
Posted By: Mech 8

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/03/2020 7:15 PM

THANK YOU!!! When the announcement was made that HHI was no longer, I had a very sick to my stomach feeling. I had been a member since Oct 1986 and kept every issue of the "Sixgunner". Over the years I would pull them out and reread some of the articles and glean each issue for usable load data. The issues are getting a bit tattered and frail from age, kind of like me, so I am so happy to see you put forth this tremendous effort to put them in digital format.
Posted By: ruger4570

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/05/2020 1:12 AM

Thank you. I've signed up.
Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/11/2020 12:04 AM

I read my first installment today and it was great ! There were some familiar names and some who were not but I enjoyed every word. I take two or three gun mags and while I can keep up with the latest and greatest, I rarely see the kind of writers or stories that made me want to own and shoot a sixgun. This was that !
Thanks RH !
Posted By: ruger4570

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/11/2020 10:30 AM

Got mine as well. It was in my junk mail but got it.
Thanks again.
roger
Posted By: Teep

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/11/2020 12:09 PM

Wish I had know about this when it was being published. Reading the second edition about shooting rock chucks with a .22 brought back memories. I use to ride around shooting groundhogs at old farm steads using various handguns. I was packing a Contender .256 Magnum with a 2.5x Bushnell on my hip and the county sheriff stopped me as I went through town just to see what I had. Took me to the city dump just so he could try it out. I miss those days and the freedom we had.
Posted By: thadf

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/13/2020 3:07 AM

I?m getting them...thanks
Posted By: Randominator

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/13/2020 4:57 PM

Signed up 1-1/2 weeks ago and haven?t received anything.
randominator1@hotmail.com

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/13/2020 5:41 PM

Check your junk mail folder. Unfortunately, that's where my first two issues were.
Posted By: DarkTimber

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/14/2020 4:43 AM

Thanks for taking the time to convert these to digital.

I got my first issue on Friday. Great Read!

I'm rationing it, but it's almost gone!

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/14/2020 4:43 PM

Hey gang, I'm hearing about some issues with The Sixgunner going into people's spam or junk folder. Unfortunately, everyone's email is set up differently so the issues may go to your junk. Please be sure to check your junk folder and make sure you approved things from Handgun Hunter Supply to go into your inbox.

Of course, if you still have trouble, let me know.
Posted By: sscoyote

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/19/2020 3:58 AM

Thanks--signed up.
Posted By: rleprechaun

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/19/2020 10:34 PM

I was an HHI member form the second year until the end, great reading!
Posted By: DarkTimber

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/20/2020 4:09 AM

Got my second issue and am really enjoying them.

Seems like it was a great organization with great people.

It may have been written here before, but what happened to HHI to make it go under?

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/21/2020 5:09 PM

When I asked J.D. about it, he said that it was lack of interest. He mentioned the fact that people wouldn't read The Sixgunner because they preferred to go online.

Since he was doing it as a one man show, I'm sure he was weary. He told me he personally cut and pasted all the typed articles and pictures and had them printed. I know he had trouble getting people to submit articles for print, as well. Towards the end, The Sixgunner was 8 pages instead of 16.

I'd like to see it resurrected. Do you think there's enough interest if it were sone online in a 21st century fashion?

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/21/2020 6:25 PM

I'd love to see it!! I think that there is interest, maybe not as much as in the 80's and 90's, but how wonderful it would be to see an updated version of The Sixgunner. Real life stories from real handgun hunters.
Posted By: Randy M

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/21/2020 7:10 PM

Definitely interested. If there is going to be a cost associated, I'd recommend getting commitments ahead of time.

Ryan, as you know, I'm fairly close to you and would be willing to help in any way I can.
Posted By: billa

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/21/2020 11:48 PM

I would be interested in seeing a revival of HHI and the Sixgunner. I am proud to say I was a charter member. HHI and The Sixgunner has pretty much defined my hunting, guns and ammo choices for 40 years. Many of the contributors are members here. Does anyone know the legal status of HHI?

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/22/2020 12:04 AM

I have a feeling, unfortunately, it ended with The Sixgunner being discontinued, and dues being no longer collected. Then SSK was sold. I was #7018...HHI was the best group of handgun hunters on the planet.
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/22/2020 9:59 PM

I have a bunch of great memories from organizing and running the HHI Antelope Hunt for 24 years. There are quite a few members here that I met on those hunts.

And I enjoyed writing stories for THE SIXGUNNER, as well as reading other's stories

Those were good times. It was a sad day when HHI ended.

Thank you to Ryan for doing all the work digitizing and e-mailing out The Sixgunner issues and thank you to JD Jones for giving him the permission.
Posted By: Carpe Diem

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 09/22/2020 10:28 PM

I joined HHI in the early 80s, even held a record for Kodiak blacktail for awhile. The arrival of the Sixgunner in the mailbox was eagerly awaited each month, I contributed a few stories and thoroughly enjoyed reading each issue. I can?t thank Ryan enough for his efforts in bringing back the memories of a bygone era.

Posted By: SamuelKing

Re: THE SIXGUNNER!! - 01/15/2021 2:12 PM

Congrats man!
I wish I had tome to grow my collection. But I'm so busy with job search and interviews and translating my CV through https://thewordpoint.com/services/translation-service/cv-translation-services that I don't have time to clean my guns. I only have 2 of them but love them to the moon and back. My wife is even jealous
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums