Handgunhunt

think about it

Posted By: jamesfromjersey

think about it - 09/05/2020 4:44 PM

I was talking to Greg the other day and his black powder handgun elk came up and I mentioned that of all his record book trophies this is one that will always be high in the record books... When you think about it, who will pay all that money for an elk hunt and use a black powder pistol?? ... Its tough enough using a BP rifle but a BP pistol with all its limitations is the last weapon you`ll see on an elk hunt today... after you digest what I`ve just written, then add the fact that the BP bull was a 7x7... If there ever was an exclusive club the "The 7x7 Elk Taken With a Black Powder Handgun" has to be one of the hardest to join.... Well done.....
Posted By: Franchise

Re: think about it - 09/05/2020 4:54 PM

That is an accomplishment that many will never achieve. CONGRATULATIONS and fill us in on any details that come to mind.
Posted By: Shortgun

Re: think about it - 09/05/2020 5:05 PM

Outstanding, And it?s a HUGE accomplishment at that.
Posted By: REDHAWK1954

Re: think about it - 09/05/2020 8:44 PM

Well done!
Posted By: ruger4570

Re: think about it - 09/06/2020 12:59 AM

Wow. Impressive elk regardless of weapon used. But with a BP handgun....incredible.
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: think about it - 09/06/2020 3:33 PM

Thanks all for the compliments, it was for sure a memorable hunt!
Posted By: sixshot

Re: think about it - 09/06/2020 4:37 PM

Very well done Gregg, a great elk & glad to see you out hunting!

Dick
Posted By: RH Custom Guns

Re: think about it - 09/07/2020 4:06 PM

You forgot to put OPEN SIGHTED! That is such a wonderful and challenging accomplishment!

Can you tell us more about the gun and the load?

Re: think about it - 09/07/2020 10:13 PM

I have tried most of the black powder substitutes, including Jim Shockey Gold, but this time in my 209X50 Encore I used 100 grains of Blackhorn Powder, ignited by a Federal 209 shotgun primer, pushing a 295 grain Powerbelt bullet.

I have used the Powerbelt bullet on other bull elk from a bp rifle, and gotten mixed results, so the verdict is still out on this bullet for me.

I also killed a bull with this pistol using a 320 grain T/C Maxiball and 95 grains of Gold. Photo was featured in an earlier T/C catalogue.

I like the Powerbelt because it has a copper jacket but the Maxiball performed good also.

Thanks again for the compliments.

Gregg
Posted By: popo

Re: think about it - 09/07/2020 11:23 PM

Congrats and very nice bull.
Posted By: jcp161

Re: think about it - 09/08/2020 12:25 PM

Wow. Very impressive and thanks for sharing the load data.

Did you happen to get it on video? I have your handgun hunting DVD and watch it at least once at the beginning of every hunting season.

Looking forward to the sequel...
\:\)

John

Re: think about it - 09/08/2020 9:42 PM

I tried but the camcorder got too wet from the rain and it died...

Don't know about that sequel, I don't have enough footage.
Posted By: Sawfish

Re: think about it - 09/09/2020 3:24 AM

Excellent!
Posted By: reflex264

Re: think about it - 09/10/2020 12:36 PM

Yep I remember that. That is an awesome trophy and the way he took it makes it twice as awesome. Handgun hunters in general are a funny sort. I don't think anyone can answer the question as to why we do what we do. And though it is hard to explain to the uninitiated we seem to understand each other perfectly.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: think about it - 09/10/2020 4:31 PM

Originally Posted By: reflex264
Yep I remember that. That is an awesome trophy and the way he took it makes it twice as awesome. Handgun hunters in general are a funny sort. I don't think anyone can answer the question as to why we do what we do. And though it is hard to explain to the uninitiated we seem to understand each other perfectly.

"For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible."
Posted By: reflex264

Re: think about it - 09/10/2020 5:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Chance Weldon
 Originally Posted By: reflex264

?For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.?

True
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums