Handgunhunt

Somerville, TN

Posted By: bscott

Somerville, TN - 09/27/2020 10:46 PM

Hello to my handgun hunting brothers. It's been awhile for me, I am back after a long stint absence. I am in the process with putting a hunt together in Tennessee. A good friend invite me to come up for a couple days of hunting. Looking to take me a nice buck. His place is located in Somerville, Tennessee
Do we have anyone here on the site who can give me a good idea to when the rut starts? This will be my first time hunting in the volunteer state. Thank you in advance
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Somerville, TN - 09/28/2020 3:02 PM

I live in northwest Tennessee about 2 hours away from there. Generally, our rut starts during early-mid November and activity continues through Thanksgiving. The biggest thing that gets them moving I've found is a cold spell, which tends to be hard to predict well in advance. We seem to be getting some cooler weather earlier this fall than normal, a trend that I hope continues until season. As long as you come and hunt some time from the opening weekend of muzzleloader season (November 7th and 8th) through the opening weekend of gun season (November 21st and 22nd), you're very likely to see some action.

A very important thing to keep in mind: Somerville is in the CWD zone, so plan accordingly. You'll probably have to cape out a buck and cut/clean the skull plate before you can take it home. As a slight bonus, they've allowed standard firearms in the muzzleloader season, so you'll be able to hunt with regular handguns even from the 7th to the 20th.

Re: Somerville, TN - 09/29/2020 2:12 AM

Thanks Chance! I appreciate the heads up info.

Re: Somerville, TN - 09/29/2020 4:03 PM

No problem. Have you looked into the nonresident licenses yet?
Posted By: ahandgunhunter

Re: Somerville, TN - 09/29/2020 6:04 PM

bscott

I hunt Hardeman county about 30 minutes from Somerville, we typically see the best rut action around 12/1 thru 12/13.

regards
Aaron
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: Somerville, TN - 09/30/2020 3:22 AM

I agree with Chance as far as the weather affecting the rut. Here in Colorado, where I live, mid to late November usually is a safe bet for mule deer.

Re: Somerville, TN - 09/30/2020 7:07 AM

No I have not Chance. My buddy sent me a calendar with all the season periods on them. I was thinking about getting the 7 day pass. What do you recommend with handling, 5 or 7 day?

Re: Somerville, TN - 09/30/2020 6:09 PM

Looks to me that you'll need the Type 074 7-Day All Game nonresident license. That'll cover you for 7 days and allows you to hunt small game and waterfowl, too.

If you want a doe, you'll also need to purchase a Type 094 WMA Nonquota Big Game/Special Antlerless Seasons license.

You can buy them online by making an account on the TWRA's website: https://license.gooutdoorstennessee.com/Licensing/CustomerLookup.aspx

Re: Somerville, TN - 09/30/2020 7:32 PM

Cool thanks for the info
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums