Handgunhunt

its that time

Posted By: jamesfromjersey

its that time - 09/28/2020 3:32 PM

Its whitetail time again and wanted to pass some thoughts your way... That`s an old photo of a Pennsylvania deer camp and I was the only hunter with a handgun... 44 Redhawk... The guy with the 7mm Mag questioned if I had enough gun... You guys know the answer to that and if you count all the rifle/bow hunters we are a small percent... How many of todays hunters will make the time to learn and use their handgun at 100... or even 50... In my book you guys are unique and will be waiting to see your trophies posted here.... Good luck and good hunting...
Posted By: reflex264

Re: its that time - 09/28/2020 5:33 PM

Love that pic! People around here thought I was nuts for years. Kinda funny several of them are gung-ho now to try it.
Posted By: RemXP

Re: its that time - 09/29/2020 12:56 AM

Maybe the 7mag hunter thought your .44 bullets would bounce off the animal's fur.
Posted By: jcp161

Re: its that time - 09/29/2020 12:51 PM

That's a great picture and probably taken during a time when the PA deer herds were out in full force.
\:\)

It may have helped the herd but I'm not a fan of the current antler restrictions. I hunt there to spend time with family, not for a trophy. Need a set of binoculars or a scope to make sure what your shooting is legal and with some of those racks that's not an easy task.
Posted By: billa

Re: its that time - 10/01/2020 1:56 PM

Great pic James. My first handgun only PA hunting season was 1980. The guys in Our hunting camp were a little doubtful but when I downed a buck at 8:00am on opening day with my iron sighted RSB they were high fiving and laughing. I proceeded to kill a buck almost every year through the 80s With a handgun and most of the guys really came around. I became known as ?that pistol guy?.
Posted By: dave thomas

Re: its that time - 10/02/2020 2:11 AM

that is a classic!
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: its that time - 10/02/2020 3:09 AM

Originally Posted By: dave thomas

that is a classic!

James, YOU are a classic, my friend! LOL

Great photo and I know how it was back in those times! (still is)
Posted By: 98Redline

Re: its that time - 10/05/2020 6:57 PM

Awesome pic James!

I am another "outcast" in my hunting camp as the only handgunner in the bunch. The first year I showed up with my SBHH I got some friendly ribbing about not being able to connect with a handgun.

After several contiguous successful years the ribbing died off entirely and I picked up the nickname "Wyatt Earp".
I had a situation similar to billa's 3 years ago where I shot my buck less than 10 minutes after opening light. Hadn't even had a chance to get comfortable.
Posted By: REDHAWK1954

Re: its that time - 10/06/2020 1:32 AM

I am the only devoted handgun hunter of about fifty guys in our club. I kill as many deer as most members and more than many.
Posted By: muddydog

Re: its that time - 10/07/2020 12:20 AM

Only handgunners actually realize there are many advantages to carrying a handgun over a rifle. I remember my scopes fogging up at the moment of truth, or not being able to get my rifle into shooting position in time to make the shot. I hunt now with a iron sighted ruger SBH and never feel under gunned. Same reasoning for why I prefer a recurve bow to a compound. I like simple methods and really like my handguns!
Posted By: billa

Re: its that time - 10/10/2020 12:03 PM

Wyatt,

I remember one year when I was hunting close to our cabin that I had a buck come in close on me in the dark feeding. As it broke light there was just enough snow on the ground to outline his 7 point rack. I was that first shot in the woods guy when you could barely see. Instead of dragging the buck back through the mud I walked back to the cabin for my truck. As I got there 2 of my rifle buddies were just leaving camp. They laughed and said......you again? we don?t want to hear it!!!!
Posted By: thadf

Re: its that time - 10/10/2020 10:01 PM

Originally Posted By: billa
Wyatt,

I remember one year when I was hunting close to our cabin that I had a buck come in close on me in the dark feeding. As it broke light there was just enough snow on the ground to outline his 7 point rack. I was that first shot in the woods guy when you could barely see. Instead of dragging the buck back through the mud I walked back to the cabin for my truck. As I got there 2 of my rifle buddies were just leaving camp. They laughed and said......you again? we don?t want to hear it!!!!

😜 great story !!!
Posted By: dave thomas

Re: its that time - 10/11/2020 7:29 PM

classic!
Posted By: bigbore442001

Re: its that time - 10/12/2020 12:08 AM

I know the feeling. I am the only handgun hunter in my club. A few friends want me to join in on a deer lease in Western New York State.

I really don't want to because non residents cannot handgun hunt NY due to the restrictions of the Sullivan Act.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums