Handgunhunt

Annual HHC hunt in Tennessee

Posted By: Randominator

Annual HHC hunt in Tennessee - 10/10/2020 12:52 PM

The annual gathering of handgun hunters organized by Gary Reeder, aka Handgun Hunters Challenge, was held this year on September 30 running through October 4 in the hills of Tennessee at Wilderness Hunting Lodge.

I arrived Wednesday evening by myself. Kim Ralston was still chasing bears with Matt Nash in Georgia, and my regular hunting partners, Gerald Altman and Britt Jackson had weekend commitments and couldn't get away. I spent the day on Thursday walking the Tennessee hills in two different areas watching for game, taking an inventory of what was available. I saw an abundance of Fallow deer, rams, Sika deer, and a few Blackbuck and Aoudad.

Friday morning Gerald and Britt arrived at breakfast as they were able to get away for the day to come down and hang out with the crew. We went to the area across the road behind the lodge to get a better look at the Blackbuck. There were five hanging together in the field, but none were mature or had any size to them. There was a group of thirteen rams traveling together with two nice Strawberry colored Texas Dalls in the group. We followed the group for a while as I was trying to get a shot on the larger of the two Strawberry rams. I couldn't get a clear shot and the group traveled into the woods and completely disappeared. We searched for over an hour and was about to head in for lunch when we spotted a lone ram in the very far corner of the field. As we moved closer, we found the entire group and by this time they had gotten spooked. They started traveling across the field heading back to the woods and I got in position for a shot. I had my back against a fence post with my 44 magnum BFR resting on a set a shooting sticks. Britt was spotting for me and when he confirmed the largest Strawberry was clear, I took a shot at 73 yards. The ram instantly went down. Upon examination, the shot entered low in the left shoulder taking out the heart and exited in front of the right shoulder. I was using a 240 grain Speer Deep Curl JSP.

After lunch we decided to take a trip through the cornfield as Alan was offering a ram/hog combo. The hogs were congregated deep in the corn and it was hard to get a shot. Finally a nice boar and sow appeared down a corn row within 20 yards. The sow was by far the larger of the two. She had her head down feeding towards us. At a distance of 15 yards, I hit her at the base of the neck with my 45LC using a 250 grain Hornady XTP. This was the same load I used on a Black bear in Maine. The sow went down instantly.

Posted By: RBO21

Re: Annual HHC hunt in Tennessee - 10/10/2020 1:31 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: Franchise

Re: Annual HHC hunt in Tennessee - 10/10/2020 1:34 PM

Sounds like an great hunt. I've always heard that the variety of guns, bullets, and ammo at the HHC is something to be experienced. CONGRATULATIONS Randy!

Re: Annual HHC hunt in Tennessee - 10/10/2020 1:46 PM

Some years there is quite an abundance! ☺

Posted By: Franchise

Re: Annual HHC hunt in Tennessee - 10/10/2020 2:00 PM

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT !
\:\)
Posted By: KRal

Re: Annual HHC hunt in Tennessee - 10/10/2020 2:51 PM

Great looking critters, Randy. That ram is especially nice! I hate I missed this years HHC for its always a memorable hunt, but after chasing bear in the Appalachians for three days, I was wore out!
Posted By: cmnash

Re: Annual HHC hunt in Tennessee - 10/10/2020 4:16 PM

Those are a couple of good looking animals, and taken with a couple of good looking revolvers. CONGRATULATIONS !

I know firsthand that your Reeder .45 is a fine handling and shooting meat maker. I bet that BFR is a stout shooting machine as well.

I hope to attend an HHC myself someday soon. I imagine it is the largest gathering of handgun hunters currently happening. It certainly looks like the largest collection of tools and toys.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Annual HHC hunt in Tennessee - 10/11/2020 2:31 AM

Looks like y'all had one heck of a time!
Posted By: billa

Re: Annual HHC hunt in Tennessee - 10/11/2020 3:07 AM

Sounds like a great event. Nice ram and hog. How many handgunners were in attendance?
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: Annual HHC hunt in Tennessee - 10/11/2020 11:05 AM

Good shooting Randy

Re: Annual HHC hunt in Tennessee - 10/11/2020 2:19 PM

We had about 30 hunters in attendance this year. The numbers were down due to Covid. Most years we have around 50 people in attendance.
Posted By: billa

Re: Annual HHC hunt in Tennessee - 10/11/2020 4:26 PM

That many serious handgunners is a great event. I wonder how many of them are former HHI members or are Participating members of this Site?
Posted By: rougerocco

Re: Annual HHC hunt in Tennessee - 10/11/2020 5:25 PM

Looks like good times!!
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Annual HHC hunt in Tennessee - 10/11/2020 6:03 PM

wish I was there.... had a great time the three times I did attend...
Posted By: Ernie

Re: Annual HHC hunt in Tennessee - 10/12/2020 1:42 PM

Nice story.
How many handgun hunters did you have this year?
Posted By: reflex264

Re: Annual HHC hunt in Tennessee - 10/12/2020 2:22 PM

Good job. I let that sneak up on me. I intended to go. I love setting on that big hog wallow at the back of the place across the road. Matt and I have been talking about going once it cools down a bit.
Posted By: Sawfish

Re: Annual HHC hunt in Tennessee - 10/12/2020 8:57 PM

Is there a mailing list for this event?

Re: Annual HHC hunt in Tennessee - 10/12/2020 11:00 PM

No mailing list. Gary will post the date once it?s confirmed with Alan. We usually know the date by June or July. Updates are posted on his forum.
Posted By: KRal

Re: Annual HHC hunt in Tennessee - 10/13/2020 1:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Sawfish
Is there a mailing list for this event?

More times than not, it?ll be the first weekend of October.
Posted By: bearskinner

Re: Annual HHC hunt in Tennessee - 10/18/2020 5:51 PM

Definitely a fun place to hunt. You can make it as hard or as easy as you want. They have over 15,000 acres of hills, mountains, creeks and fields. The best thing is the friends you may only see every other year or so, and meeting new ones. playing with new toys, and finding one you need to add. The accommodations are wonderful there, all inclusive. Gary puts on a great show, there is a big raffle one night, with fantastic give aways.
Posted By: thadf

Re: Annual HHC hunt in Tennessee - 10/21/2020 4:24 PM

I?d like to go to something like this. Someday I reckon
Posted By: Sawfish

Re: Annual HHC hunt in Tennessee - 10/23/2020 8:04 PM

Do it while you can, and while they are still having the hunt!
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums