Handgunhunt

Redhawk vs Super Redhawk 44 Mag

Posted By: RBO21

Redhawk vs Super Redhawk 44 Mag - 10/13/2020 1:45 PM

I am looking to get either a Redhawk 5.5" barrel or Super Redhawk in 44 Mag. I'll probably run a reflex sight on it, so scope mounts aren't really necessary. Any pro's or cons for these two?

I think I'd prefer the Redhawk, as it's a bit smaller and looks a little sleeker than the SRH, but have heard the SRH is easier to tune and can be more accurate.
Posted By: wvhitman

Re: Redhawk vs Super Redhawk 44 Mag - 10/13/2020 9:33 PM

I have a Redhawk 5" .44. I put a Ruger Gold Dot on front and a V rear sight. It's wickedly accurate and much easier to handle and carry than my SuperRedhawk .454 (same size as a .44).
The Redhawk is much lighter. I use these 2 for different reasons: Redhawk-belt carry, easily hidden, meant for 50-75 yd. use. SuperRedhawk- scoped with Bushnell 2-6X, a little awkward in a holster, definitely not compact, useful out to 150 yds.
You'll have to choose based on your needs. Both are quality guns.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Redhawk vs Super Redhawk 44 Mag - 10/14/2020 12:23 AM

Can't say I've ever handled a standard Redhawk, but I love my Super Redhawk. I gave mine a trigger job to lighten the pull and replaced its flat black sights with fiber optics, neither of which were too difficult.
Posted By: ruger4570

Re: Redhawk vs Super Redhawk 44 Mag - 10/14/2020 12:56 PM

With the same barrel length, the Super Redhawk is 1 oz lighter than the Redhawk. This is due to the grip frame. I have had both and now have a Super Redhawk that has been chopped to 5 inches. The Super is a little easier to disassemble than the Redhawk.
They both lock up like bank vaults and are super strong. Mostly boils down to feel and looks.

Re: Redhawk vs Super Redhawk 44 Mag - 10/14/2020 2:16 PM

Originally Posted By: ruger4570
I have had both and now have a Super Redhawk that has been chopped to 5 inches.

I saw a few pics of guys doing this...I wish they made a factory 5.5" SRH.
Posted By: H2OBUG

Re: Redhawk vs Super Redhawk 44 Mag - 10/14/2020 2:25 PM

I have had several Redhawk's couple Supers. Never fell in love with the Ruger double actions. Never could get the triggers as good as the S&Ws. Love the Ruger single actions they can be worked slick. Then do S&W doubles.

Picked up a new 69 S&W 2.75 the other day added a Pachmeyer Renegade laminate grip.

Should be a hell of a packing 44 Mag
Posted By: REDHAWK1954

Re: Redhawk vs Super Redhawk 44 Mag - 10/14/2020 2:53 PM

I have a Redhawk with a 5.5 inch barrel that I have killed several deer with using open sights and now a ultradot red dot scope on it. I love it.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Redhawk vs Super Redhawk 44 Mag - 10/14/2020 4:23 PM

I`ve owned both and my 7 1/2" Redhawk was just about a perfect 44 DA....
Posted By: 98Redline

Re: Redhawk vs Super Redhawk 44 Mag - 10/15/2020 5:51 AM

I currently own a 5 1/2" RH and a 7 1/2" SRH (480R) and would take the RH over the super every day.

I know the Super's action is a better design and is significantly easier to tune and tweak, but the SRH just never felt right to me. It always felt nose heavy due to the longer untapered barrel and relatively little weight in the rear due to the spike grip.

The standard RH with the full grip frame seems to have a more neutral balance and points better.

Maybe I am the outlier in the group, but that is my story and I am sticking to it.
Posted By: Sawfish

Re: Redhawk vs Super Redhawk 44 Mag - 10/16/2020 3:00 AM

I like Big Red!
Posted By: Zee

Re: Redhawk vs Super Redhawk 44 Mag - 10/17/2020 12:45 AM

Aesthetically and ergonomically, I prefer the Redhawk with short or long barrel.

I do have a SRH Toklat in .454 Casual that I really like.
Posted By: Ernie

Re: Redhawk vs Super Redhawk 44 Mag - 10/17/2020 2:03 AM

Prefer the "R" over the "SR"
Posted By: Craig44

Re: Redhawk vs Super Redhawk 44 Mag - 10/17/2020 5:36 PM

For me, the SRH all day long and twice on Sunday.

Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: Redhawk vs Super Redhawk 44 Mag - 10/18/2020 2:55 AM

I had a SRH in .44, killed a couple deer with it but I just never warmed up to it. I sold it to my son and just stuck to my Model 57 Smith when I could still use irons. Still have the 57, just can?t use irons anymore past about 25 yards. :-(
Posted By: Vance in AK.

Re: Redhawk vs Super Redhawk 44 Mag - 10/18/2020 3:09 PM

One of the happiest days of my gun life was when the SRH in 480 I foolishly sold off to buy another gun came home to me. There's just something about it... Mines the old "target gray" with Houges.
Craig44, what grips are those? Pretty!
Posted By: bearskinner

Re: Redhawk vs Super Redhawk 44 Mag - 10/18/2020 5:21 PM

The Redhawk looks so much better, but the Super Feels so much batter in my hand. A stronger gun also
Posted By: jajwrigh

Re: Redhawk vs Super Redhawk 44 Mag - 10/19/2020 2:30 AM

I own two supers now and have owned to redhawks in the past. They are all nice guns, but I prefer and will take the supers all day. I love them! It's going to come down to personal preference for sure.

Re: Redhawk vs Super Redhawk 44 Mag - 10/31/2020 3:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Vance in AK.
One of the happiest days of my gun life was when the SRH in 480 I foolishly sold off to buy another gun came home to me. There's just something about it... Mines the old "target gray" with Houges.
Craig44, what grips are those? Pretty!

Those are by Zane Thompson of Lone Star Custom Grips. We were never able to determine what species of wood but it's some sort of very hard, very dense exotic.

Originally Posted By: bearskinner
The Redhawk looks so much better, but the Super Feels so much batter in my hand. A stronger gun also

They look a lot beefier but there is no strength (or weight) difference.

Re: Redhawk vs Super Redhawk 44 Mag - 10/31/2020 4:40 PM

I wish my LGS had a bunch of 44 Mag revolvers in stock, that way I could handle them all side by side. They occasionally have a Super Blackhawk, but that's about it.
Posted By: Franchise

Re: Redhawk vs Super Redhawk 44 Mag - 10/31/2020 9:10 PM

Craig, those grips on your SRH are freakin'
\:\)
beautiful!!

Re: Redhawk vs Super Redhawk 44 Mag - 11/01/2020 4:02 PM

Zane really outdid hisself on those! I dropped off the gun with him for fitting as there is just too much variation for grips to interchange. Also two sets for GP's. Neither would fit the SRH just right.

© 2024 Handgunhunt forums