Handgunhunt

Got my two doe antelope tags filled

Posted By: Ernie

Got my two doe antelope tags filled - 11/12/2020 10:26 PM

It was a good, but busy day hunting on the last day of October. First off, I agreed to go out with one of our church members on a cow elk hunt, and he sealed the deal relatively early in the morning. After getting the cow taken care of and dropped off at the meat processor, we decided to head back to my house grab one of my XP-100?s and go antelope hunting, since we took care of the cow elk relatively quick. I didn't have any expectations, that we would get done with the elk hunting that quick, as that Saturday was the last day of the antelope season. But hunting luck was with us, and we headed out, and I was able to fill both of my tags this afternoon, and even make it in before sunset.
Michael DeLoach of Nine Run Gun did this build: 6mm-284 XP-100, trued action, Dell trigger, 16? Proof Research carbon wrapped barrel, Holland?s 2-Port Radial Baffle brake (which I really like), McMillan center grip stock, Leupold VX-3 4.5-14 with Holland?s ART reticle. I used the 90 grain Nosler Accu-Bond which has a muzzle velocity of 2900 fps. The first antelope was right at the 200-yard mark, slightly quartering toward us went to her front shoulder and exited behind the back shoulder. She went about 30 to 40 yards did a little hop/kick thing that they do sometimes and then went down. The second one was at 315 yards, and she was completely broadside. Because of the wind I had to put four minutes of wind into it. I double shoulder shot her and she went down at the shot. Such a sweet shooter. I had not shot this XP-100, since I was with Aaron Alexander in Ketchikan, Alaska, and the zero was spot on when I confirmed it that early afternoon on paper.

Posted By: WyoJoe

Re: Got my two doe antelope tags filled - 11/12/2020 11:53 PM

Some fine eating there Ernie. Congratulations
Posted By: ruger4570

Re: Got my two doe antelope tags filled - 11/12/2020 11:54 PM

Wow, nice shooting. Congrats.
Posted By: Pa. Mike

Re: Got my two doe antelope tags filled - 11/13/2020 12:28 AM

Congratulations on a very successful day Ernie !
Posted By: Leftysixgun

Re: Got my two doe antelope tags filled - 11/13/2020 12:40 AM

Wow, good job Ernie! Thats mighty impressive!
Posted By: karl

Re: Got my two doe antelope tags filled - 11/13/2020 1:01 AM

Congratulations!
Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: Got my two doe antelope tags filled - 11/13/2020 1:14 AM

My favorite animal to hunt, especially with a bow. I think I?ve made eight trips to Wyo, and brought back seven antelope. Gotta agree with WyoJoe, some very good eating right there. Congrats on your double !
Posted By: Brenden

Re: Got my two doe antelope tags filled - 11/13/2020 1:32 AM

Great way to spend a day. Congratulations!
Posted By: RBO21

Re: Got my two doe antelope tags filled - 11/13/2020 1:47 AM

Sounds like a great day! Congrats.
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: Got my two doe antelope tags filled - 11/13/2020 1:52 AM

Well done!!! My third favorite meat, right behind elk and bear. Actually, all three are 1stA, 1stB, and 1stC.
Posted By: Russell

Re: Got my two doe antelope tags filled - 11/13/2020 2:43 AM

Congratulations, Ernie!
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Got my two doe antelope tags filled - 11/13/2020 6:25 PM

Posted By: Vance in AK.

Re: Got my two doe antelope tags filled - 11/13/2020 7:52 PM

Nice!
Posted By: KRal

Re: Got my two doe antelope tags filled - 11/13/2020 11:49 PM

Very nice, Ernie! When I get time, I?m going to have to pick your brain on powder choices for that nosler.

Re: Got my two doe antelope tags filled - 11/14/2020 1:05 AM

Originally Posted By: KRal
Very nice, Ernie! When I get time, I?m going to have to pick your brain on powder choices for that Nosler.

Be glad to help where I can.
Posted By: gunslingerdad

Re: Got my two doe antelope tags filled - 11/14/2020 3:34 PM

Congrats Ernie! great day when you can hunt elk in the morning and antelope in the afternoon.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Got my two doe antelope tags filled - 11/14/2020 4:20 PM

Great shooting, Ernie!

Re: Got my two doe antelope tags filled - 11/14/2020 5:05 PM

Originally Posted By: gunslingerdad
Congrats Ernie! great day when you can hunt elk in the morning and antelope in the afternoon.
That is so true!
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums