Handgunhunt

Hunting with a 9mm

Posted By: longhunter

Hunting with a 9mm - 12/29/2021 5:44 PM

I am thinking of buying a 9mm auto longslide with a 6" barrel from a friend of mine and was wondering if anyone here has done any hunting with a 9mm. I'm sure it would be fine for coyotes and such but what about deer. Have not decided what powder to try but will be using 124gr Federal HST's and Sierra V-Crown bullets for reloading. What do you guys think.
Posted By: Zee

Re: Hunting with a 9mm - 12/29/2021 6:14 PM

I’ll hold your beer. :-)

I’ve killed pigs with a 9mm but they were up close and personal. If you stay inside 25 yards and keep the speed up at the muzzle, a good bullet should work.

Can’t promise I won’t drink your beer while I’m holding it, though.
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: Hunting with a 9mm - 12/30/2021 11:09 AM

Popcorn
Posted By: gunslingerdad

Re: Hunting with a 9mm - 12/30/2021 7:39 PM

i have killed deer with a 22, wouldn't recommend it.I carried a 9MM on duty for about 3 years and had to shoot road hit deer, it worked but i wasnt convinced from what i saw that i would hunt with one on purpose. Like Zee said, it can be done, keep it close and use really good bullets and only take high percentage shots and you should be able to get it done
Posted By: longhunter

Re: Hunting with a 9mm - 12/31/2021 4:41 AM

I'll probably never use it for deer, just curious. I will however try it on coyotes, bobcats and maybe coon.
Posted By: gunslingerdad

Re: Hunting with a 9mm - 01/01/2022 4:36 PM

For your intended purposes for small game/varmints have at it. the gun i have killed the most critters with is the gun i carry the most. I have killed a whole lot of critters with a karh .40 cal as that was my conceal carry/ off duty gun for 25 years. Opportunity seems to play an important part in killing the kind of critters you are talking about.
Posted By: rubicon

Re: Hunting with a 9mm - 01/02/2022 12:33 AM

I've guarded chickens from various vermin with a 9 on many occasions. Seeing how it's worked on coyotes I'd have no fear of it not working on deer at a reasonable distance with quality ammo.
Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: Hunting with a 9mm - 01/04/2022 2:58 AM

Not much experience with a 9mm but I’ve killed several hogs with a .40 and more with a 10mm. Hogs tend to be tough if you don’t hit them in the right place the first shot.

I would for sure hunt up a good bullet and shoot +P loads and restrict my shots to bow ranges.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums