Handgunhunt

My BCG was able to draw first blood with a Buck Antelope

Posted By: Ernie

My BCG was able to draw first blood with a Buck Antelope - 01/12/2022 12:37 PM

This is my BCG 280 Ackley Improved XP-100. This custom XP-100 shoots so good, and everyone who has shot it loves it.
I finally was able to draw first blood with just about a week left in the season.
I used the 140 grain Accubond at 2961 ft./s. I set the magnification between seven and eight power, since I expected a close shot, and wanted a greater field of view. I also checked my parallax adjustment as well.
The beauty of the country we live in is, you can see forever, but at times it can be challenging, because they can see you too. It took me some time to figure out how to be able to make the stalk, and him not see me. I had terrain (creek bottom) and sage brush in my advantage, but the wind was almost coming from my back, so I knew there was a chance that could create a problem.
I had to be exposed slightly for a short period of time, before I got down into the creek/draw bottom, but I was far enough away, and he was looking the other direction, so it was not a problem.
I shot this buck at 204 yards. I crawled around 150 yards and then stomach crawled somewhere between 35 and 50 yards to make the shot. I had an opening in the sagebrush to my left, and I had almost made it to the stage, when the buck started moving to my left. Since I was on public\state land, and in a little bit he was going to be crossing on to private land, it was time to get things done.
The gun is so capable of shooting so much further, but the stalk was fun.
I am looking forward to shooting the 160 class bullets out of this, and see how it compares with my 284 Winchester XP-100’s.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
This is a new shooter using the same XP and ammunition.
https://youtu.be/Ipryd46CK3g
Posted By: reflex264

Re: My BCG was able to draw first blood with a Buck Antelope - 01/12/2022 1:53 PM

Very nice lope!
Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: My BCG was able to draw first blood with a Buck Antelope - 01/19/2022 2:25 AM

My favorite animal to hunt, although most of them have been killed with a bow. Also ranks right up there with my favorite animal to eat and Wyoming is definitely my favorite state. I’ve lived in Texas all of my life but I wish I had moved to Wyoming years ago. Too old now !

Pretty nice goat Ernie !

Re: My BCG was able to draw first blood with a Buck Antelope - 01/19/2022 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Drycreek3189
My favorite animal to hunt, although most of them have been killed with a bow. Also ranks right up there with my favorite animal to eat and Wyoming is definitely my favorite state. I’ve lived in Texas all of my life but I wish I had moved to Wyoming years ago. Too old now !

Pretty nice goat Ernie !

What part of the state do you live in?
I have lived in Spur, Panhandle, and Lubbock in the past, and my wife grew up in the Houston area.
Antelope are so unique, and their demeanor can be odd or funny-Really cool animals. They are not my favorite wild game to eat though.
Elk still gets the nod there.

Re: My BCG was able to draw first blood with a Buck Antelope - 01/26/2022 2:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ernie

Pretty nice goat Ernie !

I have lived in Spur, Panhandle, and Lubbock in the past, and my wife grew up in the Houston area.
Antelope are so unique, and their demeanor can be odd or funny-Really cool animals. They are not my favorite wild game to eat though.

I live in East Texas near Tyler. Antelope and axis are a tie with me, but elk is on top I guess. Only thing is I’ve only hunted them once and only killed one. Really enjoyed hunting antelope though.

Re: My BCG was able to draw first blood with a Buck Antelope - 01/26/2022 3:33 PM

Pretty nice goat Ernie !

I live in East Texas near Tyler. Antelope and axis are a tie with me, but elk is on top I guess. Only thing is I’ve only hunted them once and only killed one. Really enjoyed hunting antelope though.

When you are not bow hunting, what handguns do you hunt with?
Posted By: Dan B.

Re: My BCG was able to draw first blood with a Buck Antelope - 01/26/2022 5:48 PM

You taken anything longer than 1047yds yet? smile

Re: My BCG was able to draw first blood with a Buck Antelope - 01/27/2022 4:11 AM

Originally Posted by Dan B.
You taken anything longer than 1047yds yet? smile

No.
I have not killed any big game animals past 650 yards, since the time we spent together.

Re: My BCG was able to draw first blood with a Buck Antelope - 02/03/2022 2:52 AM

Pretty nice goat Ernie !

When you are not bow hunting, what handguns do you hunt with?

I have several Rugers in .44 mag and a .41 Mag as well as a .45 Colt. but my newest acquisitions are a Bisley Hunter and a FA model 83 , both in .44 magnum. Long story, but I stopped bowhunting a couple years ago, had long term covid and just now getting back to handgun hunting. In years past I used a Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 and a TC Contender in .375 Win as well as an Encore in .260 Rem. I still have the .375 but the others have gone down the road. I mostly hunt deer and hogs and I’m looking forward to some hog hunting in the near future.

Re: My BCG was able to draw first blood with a Buck Antelope - 02/03/2022 3:21 PM

Good luck as pick handgun hunting up again.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums