Handgunhunt

The Freedom Ram

Posted By: Snyd

The Freedom Ram - 01/27/2023 4:03 AM

August 2021...

Second DCUA Walkin Ram for me. 38.5" 11 yo. 71 yds with the Freedom Arms 454 Casull. 240gr XTP Mag hand load 1900fps. I thank the Lord and my partner Roy. Over the years I'd been hoping to get a Ram in this class and also get a shot at one with my pistol. Both happened on this trip. Also we got him 1 day before my 61st Birthday so he's a Birthday Ram as well. I'd never hunted sheep this late in August, first BDay in the Sheep Mtns. This is number 4 for me out of 10 I've packed and ate. Other 3 I did euro mounts and sold the capes, this one gets mounted. For me this is the pinnacle, the Apogee of my Sheep Hunting. I am done chasing rams for myself. This is for me "The Last Ram". If one of my buddies draws and needs a partner and if my body holds out I'll enter the Sheep Mountains again. But for me, it's been an awesome ride and I'm more than satisfied. Hmm, I got my first and last rams on DCUA Walkin Hunts. There's much more to the story.

FYI - DCUA is the Delta Controlled Use Area Draw only in the Alaska Ranger here in AK. This is a non-motorized, no pack animals hunt. I killed him 15 miles off the road. Our tent was 12 miles back in. It's all DIY walkin pack it out.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Posted By: K9TXS

Re: The Freedom Ram - 01/27/2023 3:48 PM

Sounds like a great hunting trip. I have a few questions for you.

1. Bears - How many bears did you see? Any near camp?

2. How long have you had the Freedom Arms? It's really a good looking revolver. I was looking at them last week at the shot show? What's the recoil like? I see it isn't ported.

3. I like the hiking sticks you're using. During your hike in & out, did they hold up or would they compress when weight was put on them?

4. What leggings are you using? Mine are shot and I need a new pair. Any suggestions on which pair you would buy again.

Re: The Freedom Ram - 01/27/2023 5:02 PM

No bears on this trip. I've seen a bunch of griz over the years though.

I've had the FA 454 for about 6 years. Recoil with actual Freedom Arms 454 max loads is, as expected, lively! The weight of the scope helps some. I can hang on to it better with the Pachmayr grips as opposed to the wood slab grips.

Those are actually the inexpensive carbon fiber poles from Costco. I've also used and have 2 section Black Diamond aluminum. No problems with collapsing. They are used more for balance.

Gaiters are Outdoor Research Crocodile Gore-Tex. They have held up well. OR makes great stuff.
Posted By: Walkingthemup

Re: The Freedom Ram - 01/27/2023 7:51 PM

What a great ram to finish your sheep hunting days, congratulations. A fitting trophy for a hard hunt and quality skill.
Posted By: KRal

Re: The Freedom Ram - 01/29/2023 2:30 AM

Absolutely stunning ram! Congrats on an awesome hunt!
Posted By: Teep

Re: The Freedom Ram - 01/30/2023 2:33 PM

Truly a beautiful trophy, and well earned. Congratulation, stay in shape and enjoy the good life.
Posted By: karl

Re: The Freedom Ram - 01/30/2023 4:59 PM

That looks like an amazing hunt with spectacular results. Thanks for sharing! would love to read a longer post with more details on the hunt if you were so inclined.
Posted By: WARDOG

Re: The Freedom Ram - 01/31/2023 4:24 AM

Beautiful ram.
Nice shot.
Posted By: reflex264

Re: The Freedom Ram - 01/31/2023 6:53 PM

That is an awesome ram! I know this has been a while but congrats are in order.

Re: The Freedom Ram - 02/01/2023 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by karl
That looks like an amazing hunt with spectacular results. Thanks for sharing! would love to read a longer post with more details on the hunt if you were so inclined.

Long story with pics is over at Single Action Forums. "The Last Ram"
Posted By: Ernie

Re: The Freedom Ram - 02/13/2023 2:02 PM

Outstanding!
Posted By: Vance in AK.

Re: The Freedom Ram - 02/13/2023 9:42 PM

Incredible ram & incredible accomplishment Perry!
Posted By: Vance in AK.

Re: The Freedom Ram - 02/17/2023 12:28 AM

Just read the writeup on the other site. Really enjoyed it!!!!
Couldnt happen to a more deserving hunter.
If you find yourself down Kenai way once more we would love to have you & your bride over for coffee again. We are no longer in the same house but the same area.
Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: The Freedom Ram - 02/25/2023 1:00 AM

I mostly read here, but I had to log in and offer my congratulations. A spectacular ram and a helluva effort on your part. I’m 76 in a few days but I couldn’t have done that hunt at 41, much less 61. My hat is off to you Sir !

Now, I’ll amble over to the Single Action Forum and read the story. Thanks for sharing !
Posted By: Franchise

Re: The Freedom Ram - 02/26/2023 4:07 AM

Beautiful Ram!! CONGRATULATIONS
Posted By: Rick

Re: The Freedom Ram - 03/25/2023 11:07 AM

Nice ram
Posted By: DarkTimber

Re: The Freedom Ram - 05/15/2023 5:35 PM

I know this is an older post, but I just had to comment. Snyd, I can't tell you how many times I've come back and looked at this post and gone over to read your story on the SA forum. Just too cool.

That ram, the country and the mount are drop all dead gorgeous! And that FA ain't too shabby either.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums