Handgunhunt

50 cal ML handgun legal in CO?

Posted By: elnor

50 cal ML handgun legal in CO? - 02/17/2006 5:33 AM

I've been reading through the 2006 Colorado deer and elk regs and wanted to verify that I'm reading correctly.

Per the excerpts below, I believe a 50 caliber ML handgun using 170gr or larger Powerbelts, an appropriate 777 powder charge, and fiber optic sights would be legal for ML season elk and deer hunting in Colorado. Correct?

I'm considering a T/C Encore 209x50 pistol since I know I'll be logging a lot of vertical and moving in some rough, snaggly terrain come September. The thing that has me scratching my head is the title of the section, "Muzzleloading Rifles and Smoothbore Muskets", which doesn't explicitly list ML handguns while the regs themselves don't exclude them, either.

Your thoughts and recommendations concerning legalese, load development, and other gotchas are greatly appreciated.

---begin 2006 CO Big Game regs concerning ML weapons---

MUZZLELOADING RIFLES & SMOOTHBORE MUSKETS
a. In-line muzzleloaders are legal.
b. Must be single-barrel that fires a single round-ball or conical projectile the length of which does not exceed twice the diameter.
c. To hunt deer, pronghorn or bear, they must be min. of .40 caliber.
d. To hunt elk or moose, they must be min. of .50 caliber.
e. From .40 caliber to .50 caliber, bullets must weigh min. 170 grains.
f. If greater than .50 caliber, bullets must weigh min. 210 grains.
g. Shotshell primers are legal.
h. Pelletized powder systems prohibited in muzzleloading seasons.
i. Cannot be loaded from the breech in muzzleloading seasons.
j. Only open or iron sights allowed in muzzleloading seasons. Scopes prohibited.Fiber optic sights and fluorescent paints are legal. Artificial light,
batteries and electronic gear are illegal.
k. Sabots are prohibited in muzzleloading seasons. Cloth patches are not sabots.
l. Smokeless powder prohibited in muzzleloading seasons. Black powder and black powder substitutes are legal.
Posted By: DwarvenChef

Re: 50 cal ML handgun legal in CO? - 02/17/2006 11:31 PM

Your best bet is to know the power of the load, then call the Dept of Game and get their official word before trying to get game.

Interpretation of law takes lawyers to iron out, due to the leagal loopholes added to many firearms regs.
Posted By: hntrjohn

Re: 50 cal ML handgun legal in CO? - 02/17/2006 11:47 PM

Colorado Division of Wildlife--303-297-1192
Posted By: pab1

Re: 50 cal ML handgun legal in CO? - 02/20/2006 7:10 AM

The heading of that section lists muzzloading "rifles".I do not believe muzzleloading handguns are legal here yet. There are people working on getting this changed though.
Posted By: elnor

Re: 50 cal ML handgun legal in CO? - 02/20/2006 10:22 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will post here again if I hear anything from CO DOW that says ML handguns are ok, else I suppose it'll be 50 cal rifle for me this fall.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums