Handgunhunt

This time headgear!

Posted By: Recoil

This time headgear! - 10/28/2006 7:50 PM

My .375-06 JDJ Encore has struck again . After 6 years of harvesting does and cows with a handgun in my hunting spot near Meeker Colorado I finally bagged something with antlers. I missed a doe on Monday with my BFR .475 Linebaugh at 165 yards and in my discouragement I decided to take my .375-06 JDJ Encore out of its cage on Tuesday morning. I pulled the hammer on a 5 point bull at 250 yards plus and spined him with a 270g Barnes Triple Shock. Wednesday I packed him out in four trips for a total of 14 miles with the last trip taking place in a blinding snow storm. One of my 58 year old legs is still pretty darn sore but I'm basking in the satisfaction of finally getting a representative male of the elk species. He is a dandy in my book. He is not a Booner but he is to me. I have him at the taxidermist right now. He is my trophy

Recoil
Posted By: Gary

Re: This time headgear! - 10/28/2006 8:26 PM

Awesome - congratulations on your bull. Doesn't it feel great!

Re: This time headgear! - 10/28/2006 8:36 PM

Thanks Gary. I had so much going on with the bad weather and the troublesome packout that the whole experience did not hit me until I was at the top of Vale Pass on the way home. I was in the cab of my pickup by myself and I yelled out "YES". It was quite a feeling. Well worth the effort. Whenever I look at him on my wall I will have all sorts of memories flashing through my mind.
Posted By: Vance in AK.

Re: This time headgear! - 10/28/2006 9:57 PM

Congrats Recoil!!!
Definitely memories for a lifetime.
Posted By: Tigger

Re: This time headgear! - 10/28/2006 10:34 PM

TOTALY AWESOME!!!!!

Congrats on the trophy! You know pictures are in order when he gets back from the taxidermist.
Posted By: Dan B.

Re: This time headgear! - 10/29/2006 1:46 AM

Hey man...that's awesome!! I'm leaving in four days for Basalt.
Posted By: grimel

Re: This time headgear! - 10/29/2006 2:31 AM

Anything taking that much effort is a trophy!
Posted By: tx44hunter

Re: This time headgear! - 10/29/2006 4:44 AM

Congrats on the TROPHY!!!

Re: This time headgear! - 10/29/2006 5:00 PM

Thanks for all the congratulatory notes guys. You all know how special a handgun trophy is. I have been successful seven years in a row since switching over to handguns for big game. The out of state hunters that frequent my campsite now call me "Pistol Dave". Seems as though handgun hunting is still a novelty to the general hunting public. These hunters think it is unbelievable to harvest a big game animal with a handgun. I just tell them that it is nothing special other than a lot of practice, knowing your weapon and its limitations, and a steady rest. I myself use a Mossback tripod.

Recoil
Posted By: grimel

Re: This time headgear! - 10/29/2006 6:32 PM

Quote:

I just tell them that it is nothing special other than a lot of practice, knowing your weapon and its limitations, and a steady rest. I myself use a Mossback tripod.

Recoil

Which is exactly why it's unbelievable. They try ol' Betsy out 2 or 3 shots the weekend before opening day, can't find the safety, and rarely consider using a rest for anything less than 200yds.
Posted By: KYODE

Re: This time headgear! - 10/29/2006 7:08 PM

congrats dude
Posted By: sscoyote

Re: This time headgear! - 10/30/2006 2:38 AM

Great job-- hoefully u took plenty of pics. Sure is nice when it all comes together.
Posted By: Bullelk Hunter

Re: This time headgear! - 10/30/2006 3:31 AM

Recoil, I know how you feel. My 6x6 fell to my 375JDH 12 miles from the truck and it was a long way packing meat, and I wasn't 58, but I was almost 50. I never tried the 375 TSX but will. I know the 308 TSX show big velocity gains so guess that big 270 will too. I'm still shooting my 416 Rigby for this year's deer and next year's Elk. I have to check the laws though as it might be too much punishment to impart on a Pa White tail! Congrats on the Elk. My real goal is to timber-stalk one with my S&W M500. Too many guns, so little time, so short of seasons, even less money!

Re: This time headgear! - 10/30/2006 12:07 PM

Bullelk Hunter....I recovered the 270g TSX from the elk's spine and it mushroomed out to a perfect X. That was pretty cool . I will continue to use them even though they are a bit expensive. I shot a deer with them two years ago and a cow elk last year. They do not seem to foul my barrel and they are as accurate as any other bullet I have tried in my .357-06 JDJ.

Recoil

Re: This time headgear! - 10/30/2006 12:11 PM

Fat fingered the keyboard. I meant .375-06 JDJ not .357-06 JDJ. Besides hurting my leg hauling that elk out I dislocated a finger Saturday while putting my gear away. Pretty hard to peck this keyboard with a splint on.
Posted By: bisleyfan44

Re: This time headgear! - 10/30/2006 5:27 PM

congratulations recoil. i'm sure you'll relive that experience the rest of your life. sounds like a great hunt and a trophy to boot. hope you heal soon
Posted By: Bama

Re: This time headgear! - 10/30/2006 9:45 PM

Congrats, that is awsome.

Re: This time headgear! - 11/24/2006 3:57 PM

Hi All,
Thanks to Gary's help here is a picture of me and my pride and joy! Hopefully!

Recoil

Re: This time headgear! - 11/24/2006 3:59 PM

This does not seem to be working. Anyhow, it is on the bragging board.

Recoil
Posted By: tx44hunter

Re: This time headgear! - 11/24/2006 4:12 PM

You've got every reason to be VERY proud!!!!!!
Posted By: Bama

Re: This time headgear! - 11/24/2006 4:25 PM

Congrats, That is awsome
Posted By: Tigger

Re: This time headgear! - 11/25/2006 3:19 AM

That is nice Recoil. COOL!!
Posted By: PCMAN

Re: This time headgear! - 01/25/2007 6:02 PM

GRAT JOB
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums